• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL LTC/FID Renewal Delay Survey

There is an excellent article in the October 2013 issue of the GOAL newsletter regarding GOAL's attempts to get the state to address this issue. GOAL has had bills filed and has asked the AG to look into and correct the situation.

The legislature has killed the bills and Martha has ignored the requests. She never even bothered to reply. I can't fault GOAL, but my contempt for the legislature and Marsha is boundless. [angry][angry][angry]

It's very curious to me, that many of the applicants who call to complain, are receiving their permits shortly thereafter??? Or am I imagining things?

For clarity, I didn't complain to anyone, though I was stalled in my initial attempt to get an appointment, and I did not let that go. The LO in my town told me to follow up with him in 10 weeks, and that's precisely what I did.

I'm not saying that 10 weeks (or more, by the time I get it) is right by any means, and I will do my civic duty and complain to appropriate parties once I have my renewed LTC in hand.

For clarity, I didn't complain to anyone, though I was stalled in my initial attempt to get an appointment, and I did not let that go. The LO in my town told me to follow up with him in 10 weeks, and that's precisely what I did.

I'm not saying that 10 weeks (or more, by the time I get it) is right by any means, and I will do my civic duty and complain to appropriate parties once I have my renewed LTC in hand.

Maybe I should have said "inquire" in that context. The point is, it seems like an inordinate number of people are told "a couple weeks", when they call. Just an observation of the bizarre world of MA licensing. [wink]

Been waiting since July 15. I will fill out the survey when I get home and sen it off

Still waiting. I am calling the PD in the morning to see what's up. I received a call the other day that they recovered my stolen stuff from my broken in garage a few months back, so I figure I'll kill two birds with one stone. Happy they caught the bastard, Pissed I am still waiting. I have until the 25th for my 90 day grace period.

Still waiting. I am calling the PD in the morning to see what's up. I received a call the other day that they recovered my stolen stuff from my broken in garage a few months back, so I figure I'll kill two birds with one stone. Happy they caught the bastard, Pissed I am still waiting. I have until the 25th for my 90 day grace period.
So I was told that the State approved the renewal, but he did not have the card yet. He told me it should be soon and that he would call me and assign a pin to it. Just hope it is before the 25th

I submitted my app 63 days ago. I called DCJIS today and she told me it was approved on november 13th (61 days) and that it would be another 2.5 weeks to print and mail to the pd. From the experieance I have had and from all the people whom I have talked to in the process it is clearly the State Police taking the longest in returning the fingerprints.

Here's my timeline for a dealer, gunsmith and ammo dealers license.
9/21 - dropped off application
10/17 - called for picture and prints
10/21 - called to sign docs as printer wasn't working on the 17th

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Many are afraid of being that squeaky wheel however.

When I was renewing in Westford (before I moved) my son and I applied the same day, I called several times on mine. Mine took 3 weeks longer than my son's FID.

I called my local PD today - 10 weeks to the day since I had my appointment - since that's what I was told to do. Very helpful officer told me that my card had been activated by the FRB, which means they just need to print it and mail it to PD. He will then mail to me, I should have it "hopefully" in about two weeks.

Called DJCIS and yet another helpful person told me it had been mailed out today.

Currently at 70 days from submission.

Received shiny new LTC on Saturday, 80 days from appointment with town LO to card in hand. 22 days beyond the expiration date.

Had my renewal appointment yesterday. The girl who took my info said they've been running about 4 months, that they have to send the info to three different agencies. My LTC expires in early Feb. 2014. My last renewal took 5 weeks in a green

Picked mine up yesterday, 71 days, not good but better than most it seems.

I submitted my app 63 days ago. I called DCJIS today and she told me it was approved on november 13th (61 days) and that it would be another 2.5 weeks to print and mail to the pd. From the experieance I have had and from all the people whom I have talked to in the process it is clearly the State Police taking the longest in returning the fingerprints.

So yes I am having a hard time waiting. I called DCJIS today to see if it went to printing and they told me it shipped back to the PD on the 18th. I will give the PD credit because the officer in charge of issuing is off wed and thurs and works second shift so he is not in yet. So far my time has been 66 days.

Last edited:
I dropped off my application in August (15th ish). License is being printed but will not be issued until my birthday which is next week.

So yes I am having a hard time waiting. I called DCJIS today to see if it went to printing and they told me it shipped back to the PD on the 18th. I will give the PD credit because the officer in charge of issuing is off wed and thurs and works second shift so he is not in yet. So far my time has been 66 days.

Still waitng to hear from the PD. Was hoping to go to First Defense Firearms on black friday fo there sales GGGRRRRR..

OK so get this I called on Friday Nov 22 and was told it shipped on Nov 18. I called my PD and was told they had not received it. So I called DCJIS back today and spoke with Erin. I was told it was pending printing and should be done this week. Really!!!! They really need to get there shit together.

OK so get this I called on Friday Nov 22 and was told it shipped on Nov 18. I called my PD and was told they had not received it. So I called DCJIS back today and spoke with Erin. I was told it was pending printing and should be done this week. Really!!!! They really need to get there shit together.

Ridiculous. They probably meant it was "approved" on the 18th. Mine was approved on the 19th and they said they're printing it.

Ridiculous. They probably meant it was "approved" on the 18th. Mine was approved on the 19th and they said they're printing it.

I have called several times and have been told several times it was shipped on th 18th. Only once I was told it had not and that was by Erin. I called my P.D. today and was told that it has not shown up yet. Mind you I work with the P.D. on occasions and I am familar with the LO and the chief and they are a very respectful Dept. So I guess it is some where over the rainbow in shitsville...

I have called several times and have been told several times it was shipped on th 18th. Only once I was told it had not and that was by Erin. I called my P.D. today and was told that it has not shown up yet. Mind you I work with the P.D. on occasions and I am familar with the LO and the chief and they are a very respectful Dept. So I guess it is some where over the rainbow in shitsville...

I called again today and they said that it was actually approved on the 29th. Wtf? They also said it takes about 3 days to print and mail so I should see it by the end of this week. I highly doubt that however.

My wife had her interview on 4 October with application complete. received her LTC-A today, approx 61 days later.

My son had his interview on 12 July with application complete. receive his FID on 6 Nov.

Maybe things are getting better at the state level? but 61 days for a new LTC-A seams a bit fast? Anyone else have this happen lately?

So I was talking with a nice gentleman from dcjis and he was trying to figure this out. So we came to this conclusion. He told me there is no way to tell what day it got mailed. It was definitely approved on the 18th so some say it got mailed that day just so people stop calling. He told me if I don't get it in a few days to call back and they'll report it lost or stolen and issue a new one. But other great news I asked if he could tell me if there was any restrictions. He said no restrictions. Now I just need the damn thing lol. .

Last edited:
Latest info from FRB: Backlog at State Police is allegedly cleared up and backlog at FRB to print should be cleared up by next week. So if this is true, any FUTURE hold-ups look like they are on the individual PDs . . . however slowdowns/backlogs can obviously happen again at any time without warning (and holiday time means lots of folks take vacation time, so we'll see!).

Had my renewal appointment on 9/17, license showed up today. My wife had her first application appointment on 8/8 and hers showed up today along with mine. Funny thing is, 2 other people I know got theirs today and they too live in New Bedford including my mother who had hers expire in October but renewed in early September.

Four residents of the same city getting their licenses on the same day, all different renewal/application dates.

Hopefully by the time my new license expires (2019) I'll be living in a different state.

Back
Top Bottom