• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL LTC/FID Renewal Delay Survey

My sister-in-law just got hers today, 5MONTHS! (Marlborough PD)
Applied for my renewal in July, still waiting, expires this month.

I did get my LTC renewal last month. I filed the paperwork with the PD at the beginning of June, and got my lic. dated for the middle of September. So three and a half months total. I guess that's not bad, considering what I am hearing now.

Today was 160 days waiting for a new LTC. When you live in MA you get used to the Idiot way things work.

Massachusetts ~ Setting the wrong example since 1962 ~

Tim

Applied mid July in Kingston.
Picked it up today.
14 weeks or approx. 98 days. I was told by the licensing officer that it would be about 90 days. When I picked it up it was pulled from a 3 inch high stack of envelopes.

After 2 attempts to get appt w/licensing officer, went in 8/28. He told me to follow up with him in about 10 weeks if I'd not heard anything. Called the CJIS office this week and spoke to a very helpful person who told me it's still pending review with the licensing officer (most likely for reasons of background check). They also said they are processing things within 2-2.5 weeks of receipt.

Today is day 59.

And of course my license expired yesterday and I couldn't buy myself a nice new item to add to my collection [frown]

So I called that number to check on you're license and the guy told me it has been approved and is awaiting activation. Close to the end if my wait? It's my renewal. Also do they mail it or will I pick up at at PD

As you stated most likely for reasons of background check. I talked with my licensing officer today and he told me SP is taking forever to return BG checks. Mine has been sitting at SP waitng to return my fingerprints for over a month. Hurry up and wait.

So I called that number to check on you're license and the guy told me it has been approved and is awaiting activation. Close to the end if my wait? It's my renewal. Also do they mail it or will I pick up at at PD
It should be about 2 weeks to activate, print, and arrive at your pd. I called the frb number also, and they said I was pending activation and I should get my ltc in 2 weeks.
edit: marine sniper was responding to the poster above you when he said it was waiting background checks. You should get yours in about 2 weeks

Last edited:
PD just called I'm stuck at work till sat but my license is in. The secretary seems to not know what I was asking if my restrictions were removed but I'm hoping haha. I renewed Aug 25 and they called today OCT 31

so with all this info what has GOAL been able to accomplish for gun owners? I know they wrote another letter "to the state" which will likely be ignored.

so with all this info what has GOAL been able to accomplish for gun owners? I know they wrote another letter "to the state" which will likely be ignored.

Writing letters is useless.

What GOAL should do is submit an "emergency bill" that is short and sweet . . . making any FID/LTC good until a renewal is issued or denied, regardless of how long it takes (instead of the 90 day grace period that has everyone sweating bullets). The state isn't going to do anything to fix the problem, so this band-aid would at least allow people not to worry as long as they submitted their renewal before expiration . . . and it should not be controversial. I seriously doubt that GOAL will do this however, and that is sad.

Writing letters is useless.

What GOAL should do is submit an "emergency bill" that is short and sweet . . . making any FID/LTC good until a renewal is issued or denied, regardless of how long it takes (instead of the 90 day grace period that has everyone sweating bullets). The state isn't going to do anything to fix the problem, so this band-aid would at least allow people not to worry as long as they submitted their renewal before expiration . . . and it should not be controversial. I seriously doubt that GOAL will do this however, and that is sad.

they've done tht in the past and the legislators ignore it

My LTC expired in July, I renewed in june and my 90 day grace period ended the second week of October. A couple days before the grace period ended I called the FRB and was told they hadn't received it yet. Townsend police was my next call, they claim its not them, the State police haven't completed the background check yet.

I will complete the survey when my renewal is finally achieved. WTF. This isn't my first renewal, nothing in my life has changed, this state sucks bad.

they've done tht in the past and the legislators ignore it

Done which? Write letters or file a micro-bill to extend the grace period to "whatever it takes" (I'm unaware if they ever did the latter).

With the current huge delays everywhere, now is the time to strike with this . . . it's a band-aid on a cancer but they will never deal with the cancer.

After 2 attempts to get appt w/licensing officer, went in 8/28. He told me to follow up with him in about 10 weeks if I'd not heard anything. Called the CJIS office this week and spoke to a very helpful person who told me it's still pending review with the licensing officer (most likely for reasons of background check). They also said they are processing things within 2-2.5 weeks of receipt.

Today is day 59.

And of course my license expired yesterday and I couldn't buy myself a nice new item to add to my collection [frown]

I called my local PD today - 10 weeks to the day since I had my appointment - since that's what I was told to do. Very helpful officer told me that my card had been activated by the FRB, which means they just need to print it and mail it to PD. He will then mail to me, I should have it "hopefully" in about two weeks.

Called DJCIS and yet another helpful person told me it had been mailed out today.

Currently at 70 days from submission.

It's very curious to me, that many of the applicants who call to complain, are receiving their permits shortly thereafter??? Or am I imagining things?

Back
Top Bottom