GOAL LTC/FID Renewal Delay Survey

Mike S

NES Member
January 5, 2015 Update: At this time GOAL does not need any additional surveys. Thank you to everyone who sent information.

GOAL LTC/FID Renewal Delay Survey

GOAL is once again compiling evidence illustrating the broken Massachusetts licensing process.

Once compiled by the GOAL staff, these forms will be presented to MA Legislators at the State House by GOAL Executive Director Jim Wallace as evidence which perfectly illustrates the need for reform.

Last edited:
I put in my application around Jan 23. I expired on April 12th and I am still waiting for it. Worst part is I know the LEO who does the permits and the dispatcher. I will fill it out when I finally get it.

I'll wait until I have it in hand, but its been 77 days / 55 or so business days...

Received my LTC in the mail yesterday. 80 days, 58 business days, if there wasn't a holiday in there somewhere.

Last edited:
Still in the process but I know it will be more than 40 days. I'll complete the survey once the process is completed.

Dropped off renewal: 3/29
Appointment w/ LO: 4/29 (would have been 4/22 but I had vacation plans so I had to take the later date)
Received Response: TBD

UPDATED 5/21 - Still pending at CPD
UPDATED 6/5 - Still pending at CPD

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
My co-worker applied back in January, was approved in March and still hasn't gotten it yet. Claims to have been lost in the mail 3 times now going from state to town.

Just got notice 9 months in advance from the state to start renewal process.. Might as well only issue for 4 yrs and have the fifth be renewal yr.

Long time no see guys... so I tried to reapply March and called my local PD. At that point I was rather curtly told that I was applying way too soon and to call back in June or July. So I promptly called back June 1st.
I had my interview June 11th I believe at which point I was told the earliest I'd get my license was Sept, so it was good I was applying early. I was, needless to say a little annoyed as I tried to do it sooner. My license expires in Sept.
I'll fill out that form as soon as I have my license in hand... the thing is... I'm seeing people here saying that they were approved and then got their license. I've received no correspondence to since the interview and was basically told 'don't call us, we'll call you.'
How do I know if it's been approved or declined? As I'm getting down to the wire, I'm understandably getting a little nervous. Keep in mind, I'm also in a Green Town.

Last edited:
Long time no see guys... so I tried to reapply March and called my local PD. At that point I was rather curtly told that I was applying way too soon and to call back in June or July. So I promptly called back June 1st.
I had my interview June 11th I believe at which point I was told the earliest I'd get my license was Sept, so it was good I was applying early. I was, needless to say a little annoyed as I tried to do it sooner. My license expires in Sept.
I'll fill out that form as soon as I have my license in hand... the thing is... I'm seeing people here saying that they were approved and then got their license. I've received no correspondence to since the interview and was basically told 'don't call us, we'll call you.'
How do I know if it's been approved or declined? As I'm getting down to the wire, I'm understandably getting a little nervous. Keep in mind, I'm also in a Green Town.

If you are declined, you WILL get a letter from the PD. If you hear nothing from them you just have to wait and wait . . .

I don't understand all the folks posting worries about being declined?? Ask yourself what crimes you've been convicted of and if the answer is NONE, you shouldn't be worried about getting rejected. Restrictions are another issue altogether!

I kind of understand it. You're relying on police depts. that are disorganized to send a letter through the post office (also disorganized) to arrive at your home... and then you've got GOAL saying that if you're past 40 days and heard nothing to assume that you were denied.

This becomes especially hazardous because of the fact that if your license is denied and you don't know, guess what, that 90 days after expiration doesn't apply to you, and you become a felon.

I applied for renewal, paid the fee and was fingerprinted almost 6 months ago. I still haven't gotten my renewed LTC! I haven't been in trouble with the police or anything, so I don't know what the problem is. I called the police department a couple weeks ago, and they said that I'm not the only one who has been waiting this long. Does this sound right?

My LTC-A doesn't expire until Feb 2014, but I got the "please renew now due to long delays" postcard from DCJIS, so I submitted my renewal paperwork in Arlington on July 4, 2013. I called the state's "check your status" number on Sept 6th because I was just curious, and they had not received my paperwork from the local PD yet. The guy was very friendly and told me that once they receive them from the local PD's, they have them approved and back in two weeks. I don't know if the Arlington PD is intentionally holding mine due to the fact that it doesn't expire until Feb, or if they're just being insanely slow. But the guy at DCJIS did tell me that the holdup is absolutely at the local PD's, because DCJIS is currently processing these applications very quickly.

My last renewal was in Billerica, and they were AWESOME. I can't say enough good things about the Billerica PD. We'll see how it goes in Arlington. I'll keep you all posted.

the local PD can't approve you until they get the background check from the state popo. Then they send it to the FRB for license printing. FRB is the number you called.

Had my renewal appointment yesterday. The girl who took my info said they've been running about 4 months, that they have to send the info to three different agencies. My LTC expires in early Feb. 2014. My last renewal took 5 weeks in a green city.

I dropped off my renewal application yesterday. I was given an appointment for prints and photos for about 2 weeks from now. My current LTC doesn't expire until February 2014. I'll update when there's something to update with.

Back
Top Bottom