• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL is planning a Rolling Rally for Sunday August 28th - Volunteers needed

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Hi Folks. Now more than ever it's time to keep up the pressure and show the Legislature that we:

A. Won't forget about this
B. Can organize quickly
C. Are still pissed off​

To this end, GOAL is organizing a "rolling rally" scheduled for Sunday August 28th. The plan is to meet up someplace, follow a symbolic route somewhat close to (or on) the Battle Road - also known as Route 2A - through Concord, Lincoln, Lexington, and Arlington.

The muster and end points are TBD, but they don't necessarily have to be right on this route, but should be somewhat close to it.

We're in the planning phases now. We're working on Start and End points, but it would be good to have a backup if our plans fall through. Our thought was to get a couple of food trucks to show up at our end point, and the participants can hang out and have some chow.

To encourage full participation and volunteerism, we're thinking about handing out tickets to the participants and volunteers at the start, and drawing a lucky winner of a Cabelas gift card at the end - where the winner must be present.

Here are some additional details:

Our audience will be state legislators and "regular" (non-gun) people. We want to try to draw attention to this travesty, win some hearts and minds, and show some people that we're not going to forget about this.

Our message should be something that appeals to our audience (above). Gun people are already firmly in our camp, so we don't have to make this about guns. Legislators that might be sympathetic to our cause, but hail from anti-gun districts need to have a reason to get on board with us. Therefore our messages should be that:

1. The AG has put working families at risk
2. If it happens to us it can happen to you
3. The AG has deprived 300,000 citizens of due process​

Any signage should reflect these points. American and Gadsen flags are fine, but you should probably leave the rebel flag at home for this one (Yes, I know the history - but we have about 3 seconds to make our point, and that'll make the wrong one).

We have to use our heads. We could save 100 babies and cure cancer during the rally, but if there's one picture of the AG with a Hitler mustache, the press will focus on that and make us look like clowns.

FYI - Jim Wallace is working with a former state cop to arrange police details for this event.

Here's what we need:

A name for this event. Every time I hear the words "Rolling Rally", I hear them in Mumbles Menino's voice, which ain't good (God rest T.M.). We'd like a catchy name that reflects the message above. Something like "Drive For Due Process" would be good, but "Kooky Kalashnikov Konvoy" would be bad. I'm hoping someone here can channel Larry Tate and give us a good name/slogan. We spent too much time on this last night and came up empty.

Start and End points - We're already working on some places, but if they fall through, we could definitely use some ideas for backups. Wherever it is would have to have room for about 200 cars, and let us place porta-potties, bring in food trucks, and hang out for a while. The start and end point could even be the same place and the route could be a loop.

Public Relations - GOAL does not have a PR person (or consultant) any more. If any of you have PR experience, we want to get as much press for this as possible. I mean in a good way. Let us know how you can help. This is very important.

Food - If any of you know people with food trucks, see if they'd be interested in showing up at the end. We could also BYO if the venue allows it.

Porta-potty rental - Every once in a while, you have to drop 2 in a hurry. Hopefully, someone can recommend a good rental place for porta-potties.

Trash removal - We want to leave the finish line as we found it. That means we need to remove all traces of us when we leave.

Cash donations for a gift card to be given away at the end - The more we get, the bigger the prize.

Traffic control volunteers - We're going to need about a dozen volunteers to help stage and launch people at the starting point, and do the opposite at the other end. You get bonus points if you can bring your own orange vest.

Communications - An NES member on the planning committee is going to be the point man on this (I'll let him identify himself in this thread). If you're a mobile HAM operator and plan to participate in the rally, let us know.

I'm sure there are other things that I've forgotten. If so, I'll add them in.

Please volunteer and/or indicate your participation in this thread.

I am in. Absolutely. I'd like to help, too, but I don't know what I could do. I'm a warm body.

Would any local club/range be willing to volunteer as starting/finish line, or do we think they wouldn't be able to handle the number of people?

Is a Molon Labe flag too much?

Also, I'm a ham. I can make sure to have a portable with me, and I'm happy to help with it however I can, but I don't have experience coordinating or leading event comms. Looking for an excuse to buy a portable anyway.

Last edited:
Is a Molon Labe flag too much?

Our audience will be state legislators and "regular" (non-gun) people. We want to try to draw attention to this travesty, win some hearts and minds, and show some people that we're not going to forget about this.

Honestly, if the target audience is non gun-owners, I would leave the "Molon labe", "Come and Take It", and maybe even Gadsden (because, sadly, many people now associate it with Tea Party), flags at home.

How about the Rectify our Rights Ride/Rally or the Route to Renew our Rights or the Road Rally for MA Rights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in.
I have a CB and a couple of handhelds around here somewhere, but am not a HAM. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

As for names, hopefully these ideas will give someone a good one.

* Constitutional Convoy
* Appeals on Wheels
* Due Procession

Media... our own media. Get some cameras in chase vehicles, get someone to conduct filmed interviews at the start and end points. Welcome the media, of course, but don't count on them to get our word out. We should produce something professional that can be released under GOAL's rubric and referred to later on.

I am in.
I have a CB and a couple of handhelds around here somewhere, but am not a HAM. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

As for names, hopefully these ideas will give someone a good one.

* Constitutional Convoy
* Appeals on Wheels
* Due Procession

Oooh #dueprocession is good. I like that

I know we're not focusing on just the Second, but: Highway to 2A or take our rights on the 2a freeway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our message should be something that appeals to our audience (above). Gun people are already firmly in our camp, so we don't have to make this about guns. Legislators that might be sympathetic to our cause, but hail from anti-gun districts need to have a reason to get on board with us. Therefore our messages should be that:
1. The AG has put working families at risk
2. If it happens to us it can happen to you
3. The AG has deprived 300,000 citizens of due process

Would it be practical to start the rally at a location where you can have a "pre-rally meeting" so that you can try to get everyone on the same page to be able to make articulate and helpful statements if approached by media?

Back
Top Bottom