GOAL Files Lifetime License Bill

GOAL

NES Member
The easiest solution to all the firearm license problems in the Commonwealth would be for the state to actually recognized our civil rights and become a Constitutional carry state. Since that is not likely to happen any time soon, especially in the current political climate, we believe that we have offered a solution that would be a vast improvement.

With the help of our good friend, State Representative Don Berthiaume, Gun Owners’ Action League (GOAL) has filed a bill to end the renewal requirement for Firearms Identification Cards (FID) and License to Carry (LTC) in Massachusetts: HD.3605 – An Act Relative to Firearms Licensing. (https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/HD3605)

Prior to the 1998 Gun Control Act, an FID Card was issued for life unless the person possessing the license became a prohibited person through the commission of a crime or another disqualifying action. The LTC at that time on the other hand, was renewable every four years and the application fee for either permit was $25. Under the 1998 Gun Control Act, both licenses became renewable every four years. With this new process came a vast number of permits which caused the state to pass emergency regulations to stagger the renewals.

Then, during the Romney administration, the legislature increased both permit costs to $100. Additionally during this period, the application process became so backlogged that it was not unusual to have to wait over a year to process and application. In 2004, seemingly in response to this backlog, the legislature passed a bill that, among other things, extended the license period to six years.

Fast forward to 2020 and beyond, we are witnessing what amounts to a collapse of the firearm licensing system the likes of which we have not seen before. It is bad enough that citizens have to pay to exercise a civil right, but during the COVID crisis, the system simply did not and could not properly function. COVID and the state’s response has also shown a light on some other inequities in the system where some lower income families have to choose between exercising their civil rights or buying groceries.

With today’s technology there is no need for a license renewal system that wastes law enforcement time and citizens’ hard-earned money. The courts and law enforcement now have the capability to track and easily notify Firearms Record Bureau of a disqualifying action by a permit holder. The permit can then be immediately suspended. There is simply no longer any need to bog down a system with meaningless renewals.

Please thank Rep. Berthiaume for his continued work on behalf of the Second Amendment community when you have a chance.

Rep. Don Berthiaume: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/HD3605

will it have a first time fee of $5,000.

how will the slimeballs live without the renewal fees?
They won't. Bacon Hill has a lot of hack salaries and pensions to fund, and it never gives up a fee or tax.

The bill's possibility of passing is about as high as Maura switching parties and sides.

Still, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, even if this one is a half court shot - from another stadium.

If it came with no restrictions then hell ya.
The potential of having people stuck for life with a restricted LTC is kind of scary.

^--- This... What happens if this passed and a bunch of towns simply decided to turn red. What good is an LTC then? I mean technically, legally, we can open carry but all it takes is one screwball moonbat and the license is yanked. Massachusetts is never going to want to give up the power to control this either. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but this has a very real potential of backfiring bigly.

Last edited:
The entire concept of license is a total infringement and any filing to modify it in any way is an acknowledgement of something that shouldn’t be legitimized to begin with.

Licenses and renewal fees are a constant revenue source and this state will never give it up. I wouldn’t be shocked if, like with a lot of the tradesman licenses, they eventually mandate continuing education credits before renewing LTC.

I like it, use that the PD is almost always over the 40 days and claiming it's because they are overloaded against them. No the have to either admit they are intentionally delaying applicants or support a bill that reduces the workload.

Still, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, even if this one is a half court shot - from another stadium.
Occupy the enemy fighting our bills. At least when it is out side's bills, the rules are "Win or break even" rather than "Lose or break even".

Licenses and renewal fees are a constant revenue source and this state will never give it up. I wouldn’t be shocked if, like with a lot of the tradesman licenses, they eventually mandate continuing education credits before renewing LTC.

They will NEVER let go of the money train
I completely agree here. $75 of that fee goes to the state, of which $50 funds welfare programs (general fund), so no way they would ever give that up.

The idea of a life time firearm license in Mass is not without precedence.
I still have my FID card. Printed on the card it says that it is good for life, or until revoked.
It only cost me $2.00

Back
Top Bottom