GOAL Files Emergency Legislation

This is why: http://www.wickedlocal.com/sharon/n...s-gun-lobby-with-lack-of-progress-on-gun-bill

Just because we're having tough sledding getting the bad laws overturned does NOT mean we're not doing anything.

I think you highlighted the wrong part.

The proposal has seen little traction on Beacon Hill, although recent decisions have demonstrated that current events can drive policy.

So what is GOAL doing? Just because something doesn't have traction in the legislature obviously does not mean its due to GOALs lobbying efforts. We'll see how effective they are in the coming months, but my suspicion is the last nail has already been pounded into the coffin.

- - - Updated - - -

There are people posting in this thread who are on Comm2A's board. Why don't you ask them if they think that GOAL is worth supporting. I suspect they will say yes.

I just want someone to tell me why.

And if the people in Comm2A's board tell me that I should give my allotment of funds to GOAL over them, then they have no business being on the board.

Last edited:
Glide, if you don't want to support GOAL then that's what you should do. To keep harping on this is putting you in the TROLL catagory. You seem to have an agenda to drive down GOAL. I support GOAL and don't appreciate your constant, demoralizing comments.

I just want someone to tell me why.

You either haven't been reading or you have but you've decided to deliberately ignore the answers provided.

Look, do what you want. Just do me a personal favor and don't ask the same tiresome question over and over again. It's not productive.

You either haven't been reading or you have but you've decided to deliberately ignore the answers provided.

Look, do what you want. Just do me a personal favor and don't ask the same tiresome question over and over again. It's not productive.

I have been reading the responses. If they are such a powerful lobby, why isn't ANYTHING they start out to do getting done? They are solely responsible for holding up the 1 gun a month bill? Hardly.

My feeling is that people on the board donate blindly to GOAL and they are not getting their money's worth. There are other orgs in a better position to make real changes.

I still receive the GOAL Friday news letter, and I can't figure out for the life of me what they are doing.
If you think my questions are tired, how do you think members feel about GOALs lack of ability to follow up or follow through with anything?

Where are our gun licenses?
Where are our FA-10 forms?
Where is any pro-gun legislation being filed that has a snowballs chance in hell of passing?

I hear crickets.

Last edited:
And if the people in Comm2A's board tell me that I should give my allotment of funds to GOAL over them, then they have no business being on the board.

Don't take this the wrong way, but there should be money allotted in both directions. This is not an issue of one org doing more than another. We do different things and those things are very complementary. They will have wins and so will Comm2a. We will have losses and so will they.

If you have issues with one org, then that's fine I am not here to tell you how to spend your money. There are people who support the NRA and SAF over the local orgs. There are people who support GOAL more than us. You are free to support any org you wish. But you must support one or more because without these orgs out there, the other side wins.

As for my fitness to be on the board of Comm2A, I will leave that up to those who can easily remove me. But it's organizational policy that all pro 2A orgs need support and that the problem is not people giving to one org over another, it's that more people need to give more to all of them. Your rights are in significant peril right now and this is a great time as a gun owner give back to the next generation to ensure your children's children have the same rights as you have (or better if you are in MA).

If you think my questions are tired, how do you think members feel about GOALs lack of ability to follow up or follow through with anything?

I am a member (life) and I agree that it can be frustrating. I also understand that our current situation isn't ideal so I don't have unreasonable expectations. I also think that their strategy shift from pushing one monolithic bill to many separate bills is a good one that gives us more chances for incremental success, which is a good thing.

You can poopoo GOAL all you want, but the fact is that they are the only organization in MA who goes to the hill and stands up for gun owners. The only one. Comm2A doesn't do that (because it's not their charter,) and all of the people bitching and whining about "how things should be" in their imaginary world certainly don't either.

Don't take this the wrong way, but there should be money allotted in both directions. This is not an issue of one org doing more than another. We do different things and those things are very complementary. They will have wins and so will Comm2a. We will have losses and so will they.

If you have issues with one org, then that's fine I am not here to tell you how to spend your money. There are people who support the NRA and SAF over the local orgs. There are people who support GOAL more than us. You are free to support any org you wish. But you must support one or more because without these orgs out there, the other side wins.

As for my fitness to be on the board of Comm2A, I will leave that up to those who can easily remove me. But it's organizational policy that all pro 2A orgs need support and that the problem is not people giving to one org over another, it's that more people need to give more to all of them. Your rights are in significant peril right now and this is a great time as a gun owner give back to the next generation to ensure your children's children have the same rights as you have (or better if you are in MA).

If I could print all the money in the world that would certainly be true. But I'm limited to what I can give and this is not a situation where I feel the need to diversify as a hedge. Perhaps others feel differently but my money goes to the org in the best position to expand and secure the scope of what should be my rights. I'm not splitting up my donations just so someone doesn't get their feelings hurt. If you can't get the job done, you are in the way.

If I could print all the money in the world that would certainly be true. But I'm limited to what I can give and this is not a situation where I feel the need to diversify as a hedge. Perhaps others feel differently but my money goes to the org in the best position to expand and secure the scope of what should be my rights. I'm not splitting up my donations just so someone doesn't get their feelings hurt. If you can't get the job done, you are in the way.

Good, now that you've made up your mind you can stop trolling this thread.

I am not aware of a director/officer or employee of either GOAL or Comm2A ever encouraging someone to not donate to the other, or request "donation redirection". The missions and techniques are different. Comm2A was formed to fill a gap (an absence of strategically planned, competent litigation), not to try to take over something GOAL was already doing.

How does this legislation fit the definition?

e·mer·gen·cy
[ih-mur-juh n-see] Show IPA noun, plural e·mer·gen·cies, adjective.
noun
a sudden, urgent, usually unexpected occurrence or occasion requiring immediate action.
a state, especially of need for help or relief, created by some unexpected event: a weather emergency; a financial emergency.
adjective
granted, used, or for use in an emergency: an emergency leave; emergency lights.

I have not been following this thread much....but I do think there are a couple minor compromises (with minor risks).

Everyone crows about the gun show loophole....close it with a *voluntary* "consumerized NICS" check. No one wants to sell guns to criminals so It would get used. Any non-zero usage supports our claim that gun owners are a responsible group and self policing the usage numbers would be great politucal theatre for the NRA.

Other compromises could involve language and tax credits for safe storage and gun safes.

Dude, no. Once they allowed that, it would be that much easier to make it mandatory.

And I strongly disagree with any use of the taxation power to coerce social behavior.

And you can continue being a GOAL apologist.

That's pretty funny. Apparently you were absent from this forum for a few years because we spent a solid two years dealing with straightening GOAL out through persistent questions, meetings and elections. Jasons is the exact opposite of an apologist and you're barking way up the wrong tree on this one.

This again? GOAL is not a PAC. If you want to form a PAC, go for it. It's not in GOAL's charter.

I have no idea where you come up with this "PAC" thing. I am just wondering why GOAL isn't doing what they once used to do. This is really the underlying problem, and all the "lobbying" in the world won't help if it is falling on deaf ears or a stone wall. Are you on the GOAL board or something? How long have you been doing this?

Last edited:
How does this legislation fit the definition?

Because we are talking legislative terms, not plain English. "Emergency" legislation goes into effect almost immediately after it passes, whereas there is a delay before the effective date of non-emergency definition.

Are you one of these people who also thinks "referred for study" means someone will actually study a bill [smile]

I have no idea where you come up with this "PAC" thing. I am just wondering why GOAL isn't doing what they once used to do. This is really the underlying problem, and all the "lobbying" in the world won't help if it is falling on deaf ears or a stone wall.

A PAC is something like the NRA-PVF that, like you describe, is set up specifically to get people elected into office. This involves all sorts of election law compliance, limits and restricts who can donate and how much, limits how the organization can work with political figures (or not,) and in general opens a whole can of worms that GOAL shouldn't and doesn't need to open.

For what it's worth, I agree that there's some room in the MA political scene for a PAC but that would need to be a separate organization from GOAL.

A PAC is something like the NRA-PVF that, like you describe, is set up specifically to get people elected into office. This involves all sorts of election law compliance, limits and restricts who can donate and how much, limits how the organization can work with political figures (or not,) and in general opens a whole can of worms that GOAL shouldn't and doesn't need to open.

For what it's worth, I agree that there's some room in the MA political scene for a PAC but that would need to be a separate organization from GOAL.
A. What he said
B. it seems to me the principle issue in MA is the state of the RNC in this state. To have any hope of doing something useful in this arena, we would first have to dismantle the RNC leadership or compete directly with it as it is generally adversarial to most things that people who would vote our way want to see.

A daunting task. Some are trying, but it seems to me we are still early in the phases of smelling our own armpits and realizing we have nearly as much working against us within "our own" party as we do within the establishment DNC party that operates out of the state treasury as much or more than it does out of campaign donations.

Admitting we have a problem is the first step and that starts with pointing at people like Scott Brown and the mechanism that puts him up as the epitome of the problem within our party in this state.

So, did this "EMERGENCY LEGISLATION" make it onto the official list of bills to be considered for this year? What is the status of this? We need to push every button we can.

- - - Updated - - -

So, did this "EMERGENCY LEGISLATION" make it onto the official list of bills to be considered for this year? What is the status of this? We need to push every button we can.

Silly question, but did this ever come to fruition? Found this hanging legislation while searching for something else, and noticed it was withering on the vine, from all I could tell.

Back
Top Bottom