GOAL Files Duty to Retreat Bill – With a Twist

Ya but bring a member is more consistent for them and budget reasons.
When it’s all gone who will YOU bitch at or with?
.....I just looked up the prices for yearly membership, and it's very reasonable. I plan on signing up for a yearly membership tomorrow. I got a promotion at work, and i'm working myself out of the "no unnecessary expenses or you can't pay utilities" mindset.

In all honesty, I fear this will be shot down quickly, as everyone will brand this the MA version of "stand your ground".

However, if it was shortened to just "domestic violence victims" self defense, it would guarantee the passage. I think if this bill isn't considered in current form, it should be more specifically tailored in that fashion. After that bill passes, I could see a reasonable argument to broaden the application of the law to all citizens afterwards. However, with it being MA, I'm cautious in my optimism.

I think the fact that you can face a lawsuit from a burglar for example to be mind boggling. It's not a far stretch from Britain. A robber sued a hospital for 6 figures (and won) due to injuring themselves from climbing in a window (and getting cut from the glass). The robber put "burglar" as their occupation on the court paperwork too.

I don't have a citation for the hospital break-in, but recall seeing it on numerous reputable websites a year or two ago (I was taken by surprise as the British websites were calling the situation reprehensible that he got the $).

This bill might as well be DOA, but I hope it opens up a conversation
"compromise" positioning

This Is The Home Alone Bill
Good one!

However, GOAL has kept certain legislation from passing in the first place
Good deflecting.

Just the fact that it's out there is important.
Yup.

if it was shortened to just "domestic violence victims" self defense, it would guarantee the passage
Great idea. Needs refinement, but something along those lines.

I think the fact that you can face a lawsuit from a burglar for example to be mind boggling. It's not a far stretch from Britain. A robber sued a hospital for 6 figures (and won) due to injuring themselves from climbing in a window (and getting cut from the glass). ...
How that could be a big problem
in a nation seemingly ringed by
so many seaside cliffs
boggles the imagination.
⚠️🥾⬇️⚰️[wink]

The Bill has a number now: HD.775
Here is the text:

Bill HD.775​

SECTION 1. Section 18C of Chapter 265 of the Massachusetts General Laws is hereby amended by deleting the section in its entirety and replacing it with the following:-​
(a) Whoever knowingly, in the day time or night time, breaks and enters a building, ship, vessel or vehicle or otherwise illegally enters into the dwelling place of another and discovers that one or more persons are present shall have an immediate duty to retreat. Any person or persons who have illegally entered under this section and have failed to retreat shall forfeit any rights to civil or criminal action against the legal occupants for any injuries incurred.​
(b) Whoever knowingly, in the day time or night time, breaks and enters a building, ship, vessel or vehicle or otherwise illegally enters into the dwelling place of another where one or more minors are present shall have an immediate duty to retreat. Any person or persons who have illegally entered under this section and have failed to retreat shall forfeit any rights to civil or criminal action against the legal occupants for any injuries incurred. Further, any person who is found guilty of illegally entering under this section where one or more minors are present shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for any term not less five years.​
(c) Whoever, in the day time or night time, breaks and enters a building, ship, vessel or vehicle or otherwise enters into the dwelling place of another knowing or having reason to know that one or more persons are present within or knowingly enters the dwelling place of another and remains in such dwelling place knowing or having reason to know that one or more persons are present within while armed with a dangerous weapon, uses force or threatens the imminent use of force upon any person within such dwelling place whether or not injury occurs, or intentionally causes any injury to any person within such dwelling place shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of not less than twenty years.​

It's a great bill. I will call my rep on Monday and try to persuade him to at least consider it.

Going to ask mine (Paul Frost & Mike Moore) to co-sponsor it.

Already sent him several law changes to put into a new bill this week. Starting to add up.

Last edited:
Inneresting. Checked it off on IMDB for the hell of it.

Uh, for the children?
[rofl] does look like the reason.

would be interesting to hear the rational used to decide 5 years additional rehabilitation is required for simple presence of a minor.

If it saves just one child...
So, you oppose the bill, that means you want children to die ?

There's zero chance of this passing! It's a solid piece of legislation, but no way this will be put into law.
Novel concept, though. Puts the legal and civil burden on the criminal. I have read many "Armed Citizens" columns in NRA publications. Most of the criminals actually do retreat....after they have been shot one or more times. They typically stagger out the same door they broke in and collapse in the homeowner's yard or on the sidewalk in front of the house. Some make it to the hospital. Some dont.

If it saves just one child...
So, you oppose the bill, that means you want children to die ?
GOAL had that Massgunlawreform bull ~10 years ago. It had some great stuff in it, but it was drowning in justice boner punishments that made some wild mandatory minimums.

I don't know why they can't separate this stuff

This will not pass, and could prompt state legislators to enact a new duty to retreat bill out of spite.
There's zero chance of this passing! It's a solid piece of legislation, but no way this will be put into law.
I found the two State employees.

Go be negative somewhere else. Maybe you can give each other a Chinese COVID test in Maura's conference room.

Unlike you two losers, GOAL is trying to help and make a difference.

MONEY INBOUND TO GOAL.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS.

GOAL had that Massgunlawreform bull ~10 years ago. It had some great stuff in it, but it was drowning in justice boner punishments that made some wild mandatory minimums.

I don't know why they can't separate this stuff
It was also too much all at once. It should have been broken up into solid separate parts. Most of it was really good, but the thought process in the statehouse wasn't/isn't there to digest that big a chunk at one time. All of this should get another shot in some other form.

found the two State employees.
?

I found the two State employees.

Go be negative somewhere else. Maybe you can give each other a Chinese COVID test in Maura's conference room.

Unlike you two losers, GOAL is trying to help and make a difference.

MONEY INBOUND TO GOAL.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS.
Your feelings don't get laws passed, and I will continue to be a realist right here. Thanks.

Your feelings don't get laws passed, and I will continue to be a realist right here. Thanks.
Sh*t attitudes dont get laws passed either.
Action does.

So people need to stop being so negative. If you don't agree with GOAL, go somewhere else.

Either support them or don't. But don't cry later that no one does anything for gun owners in MA.

Gun owners in this State are the worst. They all complain, yet I am sure maybe 1% contribute to GOAL and Comm2A.

You were around during Sandy Hook right? When Deval and the MA reps were trying to submit new gun control legs comparable to NY's Safe law? Thousands of gun owners convened at the State House in action against it and while you can debate if it played a major part in the legislation went to oblivion, that action on part of MA gun owners played a little bit into the decision making of the dropping the bills.

How absolutely absurd!!!!

The duty of a criminal is already defined under moral and legal societal norms.....aka "They have no right to be perpetrating their crimes" and that is already trumped by a victim's right to defend their life and liberty where ever they are legally.

Nice try GOAL but I will be shocked if it passes. When you live in a one party, anti-gun State you don't expect any gun owner friendly laws to be passed. Remember, WE have a bullseye on our backs, they're tactics are either to destroy our rights or force us to move. Reality sucks!

I am impressed. I originally thought this was an "On behalf of" bill, but I see it has three Senate sponsors:

This will at least assure it is talked about before being rejected.

Calling this a GOAL bill will decrease the chances of passing. Nothing in the bill specifically mentions gun, gun rights or protection of persons using guns in defense .... but the presence of GOAL supporting it will.

Last edited:
There are several other states with strong, working castle doctrine, why obfuscate the issue?

Placing a duty to retreat on a "criminal" is like telling a child not to eat the ice cream you just placed in front of them.

It's "words on paper" ........ya that will stop'em every time.🙄🙄🙄

It's "words on paper" ........ya that will stop'em every time.🙄🙄🙄
If passed, it would reduce the chances of charges against the homeowner and make it much harder for the miscreant to sue the homeowner. It might not even be possible to find contingency fee counsel to sue a homeowner who hurts an interloper if this bill passes.

GOALS name attached to it is a death knell.

Back
Top Bottom