GOAL Donates $50K To NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund

Did I misunderstand your post? Were you supporting the NRA and GOAL's relationship?

I asked two questions, because I was surprised that local orgs would be expected to take their locally collected donations and dues and cut a large check to the NRA like this.

And for the record, I could give a shit what you choose to infer about my views on the NRA-GOAL relationship.

I asked two questions, because I was surprised that local orgs would be expected to take their locally collected donations and dues and cut a large check to the NRA like this.

You know how GOAL has been asking for donations for the last couple of years to help us in our fight against the unconstitutional actions of our AG?

Well, MA gun owners have come through, and this check is how we are using our funds to fight the AG. We're not "paying back" the NRA. This check doesn't come close to reimbursing them for what they've spent. This is sort of like when you pay for your kid's college, but make them get a job to pay for their meal plan.

Now you could argue that there's a better use for the money and a better way to fight the AG, and that we should risk the NRA "shutting off the tap" and do something with the money other than help to pay some of the best 2A attorneys in the country. You'd be profoundly wrong, but you could make that argument.

You know how GOAL has been asking for donations for the last couple of years to help us in our fight against the unconstitutional actions of our AG?

Well, MA gun owners have come through, and this check is how we are using our funds to fight the AG. We're not "paying back" the NRA. This check doesn't come close to reimbursing them for what they've spent. This is sort of like when you pay for your kid's college, but make them get a job to pay for their meal plan.

Now you could argue that there's a better use for the money and a better way to fight the AG, and that we should risk the NRA "shutting off the tap" and do something with the money other than help to pay some of the best 2A attorneys in the country. You'd be profoundly wrong, but you could make that argument.

Nah, I'm not criticizing this or saying it's wrong, I'm just surprised. $50k seems like a huge check for an organization like GOAL, and a rounding error for an organization like the NRA. The NRA isn't trying to teach us MA gun right supporters the value of a buck, or trying to instill some sort of work ethic in us (the college job analogy), but I do understand that we should be doing what we can to pull our own weight, especially if it means the NRA helps us out again in the future. Not to mention that fighting Maura in the courtroom is as noble a cause as there is.

Nah, I'm not criticizing this or saying it's wrong, I'm just surprised. $50k seems like a huge check for an organization like GOAL, and a rounding error for an organization like the NRA. The NRA isn't trying to teach us MA gun right supporters the value of a buck, or trying to instill some sort of work ethic in us (the college job analogy), but I do understand that we should be doing what we can to pull our own weight. Especially if it means the NRA helps us out again in the future.

It is a lot of money for a small org like GOAL, but it's the money we raised for this purpose. It wouldn't be right if we used it for something else.

The NRA has to do it this way. Otherwise every state organization is going to expect them to 100% fund what would become increasingly more frivolous actions. The right thing to do is to make sure the locals have skin in the game.

No, let it run. I'll stop posting - I don't want to crap it up any more than I have, but I'll drop one question on my way out: At what $ level do we break out the oversized checkbook? [smile]

On the one hand, I am glad that the NRA has stepped up to help fight Healy's nonsense, and I'm glad that MA residents have stepped up to help foot at least part of the bill for doing so.

On the other hand, I am absolutely furious that my tax dollars directly funded Healy's nonsense, and the continued defense of it in court. Every time I think of it I get mad.

I will be starting a new job soon, and that new job comes with a signing bonus. I will be earmarking some of it for additional GOAL donation/raffle ticket purchases.

In many circumstances we all need to ignore our differences and rally to the strongest group whose approach has promise to succeed against our common enemy.

Strong individuals get taken down by weak individuals when the weak act as one.

I have notable problems with all the organizations mentioned but they are irrelevant differences when compared to the real problems I have with the opposition.
Politics making strange bedfellows and all in all I am pleased there are vehicles like Goal, Comm2A, and the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund to champion the causes I believe strongly. The exact machinations and methods they choose I leave to them.

Checks going to all three today. When they beat down my enemy will be time enough for me to criticize their methods. Even then the criticisms will be in private and direct so as not to offer support or comfort to my enemies.

The sad truth about this whole discussion is this:

Too many people expect the NRA (Wayne LaPierre, or better yet Charlton Heston resurrected as Moses) to walk up to Beacon Hill, stamp their foot or their sacred staff and thunder out "LET MY PEOPLE'S GUNS GO!" and that this will do the trick.

The only way to change what is going on is for the PEOPLE to elect enough LEGISLATORS who will get rid of our restrictive gun laws.

No outside organization, not even GOAL as much good as they try to do, can replace this simple solution.
Right you are, as we speak ,with a new governor in Florida, a Bill has been introduced to repeal former gov. Scott’s gun laws passed post parkland ,raising the age from 18 to 21, and the waiting period law.

Also Broward co. Sherriff is in the process of being suspended,then fired.

Voting in new .gov. Works.

I say good lets get started on the next $50,000 installment against Healey!

Lucky 20 Raffle - Support GOAL & You Might Win! - GOAL.ORG

Drawing on February 17, 2019

P.S.> @EddieCoyle thanks for sacrificing time out of a busy life to sit at the head of the board - - you are in fact “the real deal” brother.

This, I very much second this! And, yes I bought tickets, and will likely buy more.

I would also like to point out that GOAL now has a monthly contribution option, so one can donate monthly automatically, (much like COMM2A). I set my monthly contribution up on Monday, it is not much but it is $ GOAL will get every month. I encourage others to do the same, these legal battles are not cheap.

On the one hand, I am glad that the NRA has stepped up to help fight Healy's nonsense, and I'm glad that MA residents have stepped up to help foot at least part of the bill for doing so.

On the other hand, I am absolutely furious that my tax dollars directly funded Healy's nonsense, and the continued defense of it in court. Every time I think of it I get mad.

I will be starting a new job soon, and that new job comes with a signing bonus. I will be earmarking some of it for additional GOAL donation/raffle ticket purchases.
The Liberal States use taxpayer funds to go after US and the Trump admin, RESIST! Yes, don't you love it how Maura is using OUR money to try to destroy us?

I'm thankful to hear something positive about the NRA.
I had been fighting with myself over it for quite some time, but recently decided to upgrade my membership. I'm still not sure I did the right thing.
They definitely disappoint me sometimes, but I'm hoping that they do more good than harm.

Barry

Poor decision to direct funds - all of mine are stopping now...Sad.

"Pay us or we won't represent you" Said the NRA
Pooh rolls over, shows belly, gives check - "I'll support you."

To those that disagree with me:
Illustrate 10 specific examples of the NRA doing anything constructive with respect to legislature within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the lat 10 years.
Ready,
GO!

Poor decision to direct funds - all of mine are stopping now...Sad.

"Pay us or we won't represent you" Said the NRA
Pooh rolls over, shows belly, gives check - "I'll support you."

To those that disagree with me:
Illustrate 10 specific examples of the NRA doing anything constructive with respect to legislature within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the lat 10 years.
Ready,
GO!
You missed by a little bit.

"Here are some really good lawyers", said the NRA. "We'll pay them $500K while you ramp up your fundraising. After that, give what you can."
"Thanks" said GOAL. "Our members came through, so here's $50K".

The NRA has helped GOAL with funding and many programs over the last ten years. This wasn't a poor decision.

Sadly, I can't say the same about your decision to stop funding the fight. That's OK. Hopefully you'll reap the benefits of others' efforts.

Wait , What?
You will donate money to the NRA as soon as they stop providing money for really expensive legal work to combat illegal interpretation of laws?

Maybe i'm just reading this wrong?
The red flag laws that already claimed a life came from the NRA as well as the bump stock ban that put's all of our guns at risk. Defend them if you wish but realize they have videos directly advocating for those laws and remember when fpc and goa sued the atf the nra announced their new cooler.

I've been critical of the NRA's lack of support for MA in the past, and I don't always agree with what they do. I've also disagreed with things GOAL and Comm2a have done. I don't blindly follow anyone. But I don't ignore the positive things, and I do support Comm2a and GOAL overall, and encourage others to.

The point I'm making is that not everything any organization does will be perfect, but when they do something positive you need to recognize it and support the action. If all you are going to do is piss on them when they do good, and when they do something not so good, then the only thing you are guaranteed is that they will not listen and they will stop doing the good things.

And what they are helping with are critical issues for gun owners. If it wasn't for the NRA money there probably wouldn't be any legal challenge. Not taking the money would be pissing in your own food. So get a grip.

REMEMBER this money is specifically earmarked for MA.

I'm not happy with this as a GOAL member. The NRA has not really helped this state in a significant fashion and I think assisting the SAF or Comm2A would have been a better allocation of the funds.
You do realize that IF 2A rights are to be re-established in MA it will need to be done at the Federal Court Level? MA is already a lost cause.

As a NRA member since 1975, as well as a founding member of the NRA Second Amendment Task Force circa 1987, it both saddens me, yet confirms, that far TOO MANY NRA CRITICS have NO real clue as to what the NRA does in total.

Eddie's post is spot on and re-confirms he's one of the "wicked smaaarrt" ones here! :)

say what you want about the nra, on a national political level, the left fears them. it's worth the dues money to make their ranks swell. I've never heard someone in congress crying about some local organizations political clout.
Can you imagine how much they would fear us if the 140 million or so gun owners, who currently do nothing to support the 2A, would mount up and help the cause.
I mean I LOVE the movie 300 but its an appropriate metaphor in that without strength of numbers you can't sustain any position.

The only thing that matters here is that the funds were raised specifically for this purpose, for this lawsuit. It would have been wrong to do anything else with them.

Thank you Jim, I did not know the NRA was funding this. I did know that GOAL was raising money specifically to fight this.
We all knew that, was GOALsupposed to keep the money and say screw you NRA?
We may not agree on everything that the NRA does, Lot of us may even believe that they’re fighting against us. Most of us complain, the NRA does nothing for us in Massachusetts.
Well, this time, the NRA has done something for us in Massachusetts. It’s a big something.
Why don’t we thank the people, Jim and GOAL specifically, that have put the effort into making this work, and the effort into fighting this fight. Let’s also thank everyone that has donated money to any of these organizations, we are part of the solution.

Back
Top Bottom