• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL ALERT

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
**ALERT UPDATE - Time Change!**

Please note, the public hearing is now scheduled for 10:00AM on August 28th. Same day, same room, they moved it up three hours. We hope to see many of you there!

Please note, the correct day/date for this public hearing is Wednesday 8/28/19. Please Attend Public Hearing at MA State House - August 28, 2019 - Room A2 at 1:00 PM
mail

The Joint Committee on Public Safety has scheduled a very rare August hearing. The hearing will take place on Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 1:00 PM in room A2 at the State House. Your attendance at this hearing in opposition to the many draconian proposals is of paramount importance!
The list of bills that will be heard includes anti-civil rights proposals such as:
  • One gun a month;
  • Banning all standard magazines;
  • Mandating annual inspections of guns by local law enforcement;
  • Mandatory live fire training for licensing;
  • All guns offered for sale must be photographed and test fired by the state crime lab;
  • Requiring liability insurance for all gun owners;
  • More.
One of the more alarming bills seems to be a follow up on the misguided “Red Flag” law passed recently in Massachusetts. H.2048 An Act authorizing the voluntary disavowal of eligibility to purchase a firearm. This bill would: “… shall establish a list of persons who disavow eligibility to purchase a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, hereinafter referred to as a firearm. A person may request such person’s name to be placed on the list of disavowal of eligibility by filing a form with the commissioner acknowledging the person has a psychiatric disability and is a danger to themselves and by agreeing that the person shall not purchase a firearm.”
Interestingly enough, the supporters of the “Red Flag” laws are adamant that those laws are not related to mental health issues. Now they want a “list” made of just that.
Link to hearing details and bill list: https://malegislature.gov/Events/Hearings/Detail/3247
Support: H.2054, H.2050, S.1395, H.2055, S.1404, H.2066, S.1413, H.2072, S.1424, S.1423, S.1422, S.1421, S.1420, S.1419, S.1418, H.2080, H.2099, H.2103, S.1434, H.2122, H.2131, H.2130, H.2129, H.2133, H.2144, H.2151, H.2154, H.2153, S.1369, S.1417
Oppose: S.1389, S.1387, H.2040, H.2039, H.2048, H.3843, H.3576, H.2046, H.2045, H.2044, H.2077, H.3577, H.2097, H.2096, H.2095, H.2094, H.2093, H.2092, H.2091, H.2089, S.1451, H.2117, H.3782, H.3783, H.3781, H.3780, S.1361, S.1360, H.3927
Support if amended: S.1388, H.2052, S.1426
Needs further study: H.2108
JOIN GOAL
GOAL
361 W. Main St
Northborough, MA. 01532
www.goal.org
mail
mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

Last edited:
Obviously there's a lot of bills here, and helpfully GOAL has provided a handy list of bills they recommend you "Support" and "Oppose". I'm doing my best to skim them and give a one or two sentence summary - this may take a while.

What exactly does "attendance at this hearing in opposition" entail? I'm not sure that I could manage anything more than to sit and scowl.

Support
H.2054 - Codifies that companies outside MA can ship ammo to properly licensed MA residents, requires deliveries to be "signature required"
H.2050 - Makes LTC/FID last for life and removes all fees for licensing
S.1395 - Refunds application fee if license not issued within 40 days
H.2055 - Makes fees for firearm storage illegal if stored without the expressed written consent of the owner (e.g. bonded warehouses)
S.1404 - Prohibits confiscating guns or ammo in an emergency
H.2066 - Separates definitions of electric weapons into contact (electronic stun gun) and TASER-like (electronic dart gun). Removes licensing requirements for both, sets minimum age 18 for stun gun, minimum age 21 for dart gun.
S.1413 - Allows possession of shotgun by 12-17 year olds on special youth hunts under supervision of FID/LTC holder.
H.2072 - Allows previous MA resident LTC holders to apply for resident LTC if they reside part-time in MA, have a vehicle registered in MA, attend school in MA, or own a business in MA.
S.1424 - Reduces fee for non-resident LTC to $40 and makes it valid for 6 years
S.1423 - Same as H.2054 - companies can ship ammo to properly licensed MA residents "signature required"
S.1422 - Removes penalty of revoking license for failure to notify of change of address
S.1421 - Removes AG's ability to regulate firearms under 93A "consumer protection" law and repeals existing regulations
S.1420 - Reduces firearm licensing fees
S.1419 - [Requires further reading, but I think it removes the Approved Handgun Roster]
S.1418 - Allows LTC holders to carry on snow vehicles/recreational vehicles (ATVs?)
H.2080 - Same as S.1395 - refunds application fee if not issued within 40 days
H.2099 - Similar to S.1421 - removes AG's ability to regulate firearms under 93A "consumer protection" doesn't have clause repealing existing regs
H.2103 - Same as S.1422 - Removes penalty of revoking license for failure to notify of change of address
S.1434 - Same as S.1420 I think? Reduces firearm licensing fees
H.2122 - State preemption - no county or town laws, ordinances or regulations on gun ownership, use, transfer, etc.
H.2131 - Not 100% sure, I think it allows circumventing town licensing authority by allowing residents to apply to state police for FID/LTC
H.2130 - I think this is a mix of S.1421 and S.1419.
H.2129 - Same as S.1418 - Allows LTC holders to carry on snow vehicles/recreational vehicles (ATVs?)
H.2133 - Exempts veterans from LTC renewal fee
H.2144 - Essentially FOPA protection, includes protection during unexpected delays due to mechanical, weather, illness, commercial delays, etc
H.2151 - Allows transfer of any firearms from CMP through dealers (covers the CMP 1911s which are already gone I think?)
H.2154 - Removes prohibition on carrying unloaded rifles/shotguns without a case (which means unloaded rifles/shotguns will be allowed to be carried without a case)
H.2153 - Allows previous holders of "lifetime" FIDs" to apply for an FID/LTC.
S.1369 - Removes restrictions on possession/carry of self defense spray
S.1417 - Legalizes suppressors, penalizes possession by prohibited persons, or in the use of crimes.

I will get to the Oppose list in a while.

Warrantless searches. Congrats! This state has almost completed a 360. I'm not good at history. Anybody know what happened last time? Does this include undocumented dems or just citizens?

Standard mags
Aka
Hi capacity mags

They will ban the for sure.

Now, we can only legally have pre 94 hi caps.

Newer ones have been banned since 1994.

Massachusetts will now ban the old ones too.

Nobody will comply.

If someone is prosecuted, that would set up an epic legal case that would go to SCOTUS.

Pray for Trumps re-election so he can replace Ginsberg.

We need to testify at the hearing that having a 10 round mag when your home is being invaded by 3 thugs is not enough.

If I’m at church and a thug starts shooting an AK, 10 rounds is not enough to defend my congregation.

Just look at police shootings. They may fire 70 rounds and not hit their target to stop the threat.

Maybe the police should be limited, too.

Of course they will get an exemption for personal use.

That 40 day or refund sounds dangerous. They'll just keep sending back the check. No licenses anymore. No guns.

S.1395 doesn't have any language that implies forfeiture of the fees affects the application in any other way whatsoever, let alone revokes it. If they are late, they must continue to process it for free. I don't see that passing, though.

In regards to Mags (30 rd window Pmags) - Basspro won’t ship to store @ Hooksett, I don’t know if it’s my mailing/billing address or not, but I’ll try over the counter next week - I have points to burn and Mass has pissed me off,

Oppose
S.1389 - One gun a month, may be some other stuff but that's the core thing
S.1387 - Firearm, ammo, and parts sales tax of 4.75%, 50 BMG ban, private sales must be at dealers and imposes $25 limit on fee charged for transfer, some other crap.
H.2040 - Bans "imitation firearms" (basically airsoft guns and the like)
H.2039 - Something about tracing and gathering stats on "crime guns"
H.2048 - Allows self-adding to a "no guns list" and allows others to place you on that list
H.3843 - Bans "ghost guns"
H.3576 - Requires annual affidavit from LTC/FID holders saying no lost or stolen guns
H.2046 - Punishment for reckless discharge of firearms
H.2045 - Some "crime gun" nonsense
H.2044 - Allows suing gun owner whose gun is lost or stolen, who fails to report the loss or theft, whose gun is subsequently used in a crime.
H.2077 - Allows taking away the vehicle of someone who transports a firearm illegally in it.
H.3577 - Establishes a "firearm violence institute" within the Department of Public Health.
H.2097 - Microstamping requirement, 15 gun per year limit, some other crap.
H.2096 - Bans "ghost guns"
H.2095 - Bans all "large capacity magazines" not registered to a specific owner, no more transfers.
H.2094 - Extra penalties for selling guns not on the "Approved Firearms Roster"
H.2093 - Requires liability insurance for gun owners. Completely non-specific, requires commissioner of insurance to promulgate regulations for minimum terms of liability insurance policies.
H.2092 - Requires dealer for private sales, sets $25 max fee
H.2091 - Live fire requirement for license courses
H.2089 - Includes "dangerous" weapons in the definition of "violent crime"
S.1451 - I believe this mostly just increases punishments for various weapon-related crimes.
H.2117 - "Smart gun" task force
H.3782 - Requires every firearm sold by a dealer to be sent to state police to be test fired, photographed, and have a ballistics report made.
H.3783 - Annual inspection of every firearm owned, initial inspection within 10 days of receipt.
H.3781 - 10 day waiting period, 1 gun a month
H.3780 - 1 gun a month
S.1361 - Bans "ghost guns"
S.1360 - Same as H.2093 - Requires liability insurance for gun owners. Completely non-specific, requires commissioner of insurance to promulgate regulations for minimum terms of liability insurance policies.
H.3927 - Straw purchase ban

can someone provide an intelligent argument for opposing this: H.2091 - Live fire requirement for license courses

Why on earth wouldn't you want someone who is getting a license to have at least fired a gun before??

I said intelligent argument. We already have licensing and opposing that bill won't change that. Next?

Licensing in MA doesn't exist to certify proficiency with firearms. Rather, it is a barrier to ownership, and its lack presents a complication and barrier to becoming proficient through practice and training at the range of your choice. By requiring 5 hours of live fire training (even if only 50 actual rounds), the bill increases the effort, and inevitably the cost, of obtaining a license. While nobody is arguing that a given licensee shouldn't have live fire training, actually requiring it in this manner is clearly designed to thin the ranks of those who will go to the trouble of becoming licensed. The alternative, coming from Linsky, is completely unthinkable, that the point is to have more proficient licensees. That's not what Linsky wants. He wants fewer licensees.

Back
Top Bottom