Goal alert for hunters

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
Just got this email

The Massachusetts Legislature’s Joint Committee on Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture is holding a virtual hearing this Tuesday, January 4th , 2022 at 1:00 PM. The Committee will be hearing testimony on bills on a number of hunting related bills up for consideration by the Legislature. Including (but not limited to):​

-H.883, An Act Relative to bow hunting for deer in Wompatuck State Park

-H.914, An Act authorizing the use of bows and arrows for Sunday Hunting

-H.976, An Act relative to the use of shotguns

-H.984, An Act relative to Sunday hunting

-H.991, An Act relative to the use of crossbows for hunting

-H.1015, An Act authorizing the use of bow and arrows for Sunday hunting

-H.1016, An Act authorizing permitting by the Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game

-H.1019, An Act authorizing deer hunting on Sunday

-H.1021, An Act relative to hunting with artificial light

Imagine how we could help the deer herd if crossbows were allowed. Suddenly, a majority of shotgun hunters could be in the field weeks earlier. Think of the drop in Lyme disease in this state.

I was listening to the MeatEater podcast last week. Guy in. . . I think Wisconsin. 20% of the deer are testing positive for CWD this last season. He said they took something like 36 deer on his farm. . . majority of does. . . and if you watch the trail cams it looks like there was not a drop in the deer population. Hence, CWD explosion.

Now, we aren't at that point here. (IIRC, the guy said the farm has been on a doe-focused hunting strategy for years now just to keep the population down.). But Lyme is the same problem. It's huge because we have so many deer. Too much of ANYTHING can be a bad thing.

Imagine how we could help the deer herd if crossbows were allowed. Suddenly, a majority of shotgun hunters could be in the field weeks earlier. Think of the drop in Lyme disease in this state.

I was listening to the MeatEater podcast last week. Guy in. . . I think Wisconsin. 20% of the deer are testing positive for CWD this last season. He said they took something like 36 deer on his farm. . . majority of does. . . and if you watch the trail cams it looks like there was not a drop in the deer population. Hence, CWD explosion.

Now, we aren't at that point here. (IIRC, the guy said the farm has been on a doe-focused hunting strategy for years now just to keep the population down.). But Lyme is the same problem. It's huge because we have so many deer. Too much of ANYTHING can be a bad thing.
Isn't the biggest reservoir for Lyme mice?

What is the general nature of these bills? Expanding hunting or limiting it and/or more permitting/$$ for the state? Rarely does the state expand opportunities unless it comes with more red tape and cost to the end-user.

Sundays....Hell no, When I go out riding or to do something in the woods, that's the only day I know I'm safe from all the weekend warriors.
All license fees are going up, so Sportsman/woman should have access all week during the season. They pay taxes and license fees to enjoy the sport. It is also harder for working folks to take off during the week to hunt so Sunday is a nice option. I'd be happy with even some Sundays being an option to hunters. License fees along with state taxes and federal grants help keep conservation land a viable option.

Isn't the biggest reservoir for Lyme mice?
They are the beginning of the cycle as well as chipmunks .
But when you consider that an average piece of wooded property has at least one mouse per 30 square feet , controlling the deer is a far more practical.
I worked on a project sponsored by the CDC years ago that had promise till some pencil neck from the EPA f*cked it up and got it cancelled.
There were feeding stations put out for the mice.
In order to get to the food they had to pass under a wick which contained the same chemicals as Frontline.
The drop in the tick population on the properties tested was dramatic.

Edited to add : The issue the EPA turd had wasn't the chemicals , it was the construction of the boxes and decided the company that made them needed to retool an entire factory and make them out of an entirely different material which would have cost them millions.
So they decided enough was enough seeing as they had already spent 10 million out of pocket on the project.

MA needs Sunday hunting to stay competitive with NH
Now that the MA license fees will be increasing for the next few years before leveling out the fee for a NH non-resident license doesn't look so bad when factoring in Sat/Sun to hunt on the weekend in NH compared to Sat only in MA
But that's only if legislators actually care about that revenue, which they probably don't, they're more focused on hand-wringing and minimizing activities that use dangerous (in their minds) tools

MA needs Sunday hunting to stay competitive with NH
Now that the MA license fees will be increasing for the next few years before leveling out the fee for a NH non-resident license doesn't look so bad when factoring in Sat/Sun to hunt on the weekend in NH compared to Sat only in MA
But that's only if legislators actually care about that revenue, which they probably don't, they're more focused on hand-wringing and minimizing activities that use dangerous (in their minds) tools
With the DemoCRAP leadership on the Federal side, they don't need the $. They've got plenty of my current and future tax $ to play with.

Go fxck off and find your safe space if you can't handle being in the woods with us.
Classy.

Back to rational- why does MA ban Sunday hunting? It’s a holdover from Sunday blue laws but what is current rationale?

Even NY has Sunday hunting….

Classy.

Back to rational- why does MA ban Sunday hunting? It’s a holdover from Sunday blue laws but what is current rationale?

Even NY has Sunday hunting….
Because hunting = guns.
Hunters -= gun owners .
Gun owners = bad.
The only reason hunting hasn't been completely banned is that sweet tax revenue they get to dip their greasy little fingers into.

Back
Top Bottom