GOA Please Take Action

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
Gun Owners of America

ATF to Disregard Gun Owner Input on Illegal Registration Prevention

Take Action

Click on the Take Action button and tell the ATF to remember its duty to the Constitution and United States Code prohibiting the creation of firearm or firearm owner registries!

Not a GOA member yet? We need you more than ever right now.

Personal and Gun Identification Info to be Consolidated on Form 4473, Easing Pathway to Registration

Dear Gun Owner,

The ATF is proposing more revisions to the Form 4473—making your future firearm purchase and transfer information easier to retroactively compile into a gun or gun owner registry.
The revisions were first proposed on December 26th 2019 when the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives announced in the Federal Register that it would be amending the Form 4473.

mail

To be sure, this is an already unconstitutional form used to process NICS background checks before firearm purchases and some transfers.
Late December is reserved by the government for announcing sneaky, unconstitutional, and unpopular actions—like the Bump Stock Ban—while people are off work, at home, and spending time with their families for the holidays.
Disguised as mere compliance with the Paperwork Reduction Act, the ATF’s proposed amendments to the Form 4473 will record gun owners’ personal information on the same page as the firearm make, model, and serial number.
Consolidating this information onto one page could pave the way for a future anti-gun administration or bureaucrat to more easily scan or photograph these forms, which are retained by the gun dealer for ten years, and create a de facto registry of firearm owners and their purchased firearms in violation of two provisions of the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act.
In the past, GOA has received concerning allegations that ATF agents were copying Form 4473s at dealers places of business. Our concerns went inadequately answered.
Yet again, the ATF is furthering an anti-gun political agenda while they hope gun owners’ attention is elsewhere during the Coronavirus pandemic.
Hoping that the bureaucrats at the ATF were not ill-willed and would see the error of their ways, gun owners participated in the public process for the revision of forms and collection of information.
Unfortunately, the ATF decided to ignore gun owners’ concerns.
Now, a second and equally flawed draft has been proposed and gun owners have been given an additional opportunity to make public comment. We must remind the ATF of their duty to uphold the intent of the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act in prohibiting a firearm or gun owner registry with an additional 30-day comment period.
I urge you to take action and provide public comments to the ATF and ask them to protect gun owners’ private information.

In liberty,
Aidan Johnston
Director of Federal Affairs
Gun Owners of America
P.S. Please distribute this alert to your pro-gun family and friends and urge them to take action. To renew your GOA membership or to join for the first time, please click here.

Disguised as mere compliance with the Paperwork Reduction Act, the ATF’s proposed amendments to the Form 4473 will record gun owners’ personal information on the same page as the firearm make, model, and serial number.
Consolidating this information onto one page could pave the way for a future anti-gun administration or bureaucrat to more easily scan or photograph these forms, which are retained by the gun dealer for ten years, and create a de facto registry of firearm owners and their purchased firearms in violation of two provisions of the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act.

Small detail, but when I want a group arguing for my rights, I want them to know the facts and sound intelligent when they speak..........

How long are licensees required to maintain ATF Forms 4473? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
How long are licensees required to maintain ATF Forms 4473?

Licensees shall retain each ATF Form 4473 for a period of not less than 20 years after the date of sale or disposition. Where a licensee has initiated a National Instant Background Check System (NICS) check for a proposed firearms transaction, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm is not made, the licensee shall record any transaction number on the Form 4473, and retain the Form 4473 for a period of not less than 5 years after the date of the NICS inquiry.

Maybe I'm a bit confused with what they are fighting for here, but is their issue that the firearm info will be on the same piece of paper as their name?
Because the current 4473s already have the firearm info and the purchasers info on it. They may be on "separate" pieces of paper, but are attached by a binder. Please tell me, I am missing something here. Tell me that our 2nd Amendment fights hasn't come down to fighting for what side of paperwork is on.

I hate to tell you guys what dealers do with the 4473s when they go out of business............

Small detail, but when I want a group arguing for my rights, I want them to know the facts and sound intelligent when they speak..........

How long are licensees required to maintain ATF Forms 4473? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Maybe I'm a bit confused with what they are fighting for here, but is their issue that the firearm info will be on the same piece of paper as their name?
Because the current 4473s already have the firearm info and the purchasers info on it. They may be on "separate" pieces of paper, but are attached by a binder. Please tell me, I am missing something here. Tell me that our 2nd Amendment fights hasn't come down to fighting for what side of paperwork is on.

I hate to tell you guys what dealers do with the 4473s when they go out of business............
If you read the whole thing it explains what the problems are. Part of the problem is that it will be on the same page which makes it easier to scan in and collect the data and create a registry more easily. We shouldn't make anything easier for them.

"Consolidating this information onto one page could pave the way for a future anti-gun administration or bureaucrat to more easily scan or photograph these forms, which are retained by the gun dealer for ten years, and create a de facto registry of firearm owners and their purchased firearms in violation of two provisions of the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act."

If you read the whole thing it explains what the problems are. Part of the problem is that it will be on the same page which makes it easier to scan in and collect the data and create a registry more easily. We shouldn't make anything easier for them.

"Consolidating this information onto one page could pave the way for a future anti-gun administration or bureaucrat to more easily scan or photograph these forms, which are retained by the gun dealer for ten years, and create a de facto registry of firearm owners and their purchased firearms in violation of two provisions of the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act."

The fact they want this info on one page tells me they are already making a registry, but we've known that for quite some time now.

Welcome Wilbart!
New member, went Green, filled out a GOA letter and Joined...
You are a Do'er!

What do they want it changed for? Doesn't matter -- I know it is not to benefit me and that is enough to oppose it.

🐯

OCR.

EFA10 is essentially 2 big pages. (Double sided, folded in half).

Your personal data is not on the same page as the gun data. This means extra lifting by OCR software and more storage requirements for efa10's.

By condensing the data OCR only looks one place and only one page needs to be stored. Its the first step to a digital archive, and ergo, a registry.

OCR.

EFA10 is essentially 2 big pages. (Double sided, folded in half).

Your personal data is not on the same page as the gun data. This means extra lifting by OCR software and more storage requirements for efa10's.

By condensing the data OCR only looks one place and only one page needs to be stored. Its the first step to a digital archive, and ergo, a registry.

Rhetorically question, but thanks.

🐯

Back
Top Bottom