• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOA Alert - Oppose anti nominee Mark Bennett

Contact Your Senators to Oppose Bennett!

Dear ...,

Repeatedly, President Donald Trump has criticized San Francisco's leftist Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals for assuming the role of "super-legislature" and blocking his agenda.

tlzAGPq9SUEGVGJU8mPZN6fGg2Sdd1wtLdKGs4VTBds7o2cPg83AMFXPnr1Q2YrGc8XfLMapHOmNamq4nLrYfxAYyTNMHXVxtPBDu-drtouUuF53-zAp=s0-d-e1-ft

Yet, Trump has nominated a leftist, anti-gunner to fill a seat on that court, and the Senate Judiciary Committee has approved that nomination -- despite GOA's opposition to the nomination.

The nominee for the nation's second highest court is Mark Jeremy Bennett, who, as Hawaii's Attorney General, opposed the Supreme Court's determination in Heller that the Second Amendment is an individual right.

Bennett also opposed GOA's right to participate in the legislative process, which was affirmed in the Citizens United decision.

But, in spite of Bennett's reliably left-wing leanings on these and virtually ever other issue, Trump and weak-kneed Republicans seem inclined to reward him with a promotion and pivotal seat on one of the country's most important courts.

Understandably, Democrats are giddy. In fact, anti-gun Senator Mazie Hirono called him "refreshing."

The left-wing Alliance for Justice, which has slow-walked all of the rest of Trump's judicial nominees, approves of Bennett, calling him "mainstream."

So here's a suggestion: since anti-gun senators are blocking a vast number of Trump's judicial and executive nominees, Republicans would be fools to consider Bennett before the entire backlog of conservatives has been approved by the Senate.

2q8NFkKnnJ_hX_bMKDHhtjq8CW7MBwXEOALGpDE8KrCJFyaZxfAfnLRES-nS4nuiFzf6y48gX014FU0xlscCWCZwB_wGTiYKnYSlGAg2IQ_z4ng1dRfLhXjlX8A=s0-d-e1-ft

Think about it: Senator Chuck Schumer and his gang of anti-gunners are blocking dozens of pro-gun nominees.

If we reward them by passing gun controllers while blocking constitutionalists, we have every right to ask why keeping Republicans in power in the Senate confers any advantage.

So please take action. Urge your Senators to oppose the nomination of Mark Bennett.

In liberty,

Michael Hammond
Legislative Counsel
Gun Owners of America

Just called both senators, kept it simple, "Please pass on opposition to 9th circuit court of appeals nominee Mark Bennett". Couple minutes, easy.

Cruz voted against Bennett when his vote came up in the senate judiciary committee.

Senate Republicans Should Stand With Ted Cruz and Ben Sasse, Reject Mark Bennett's 9th Circuit Nomination

“Taking the position in the Heller case that the Second Amendment protects no individual right to bear arms whatsoever,” Cruz said in the meeting. “In my judgement that is an extreme position. It is grossly inconsistent with the text and original understanding of the Second Amendment and, so, I can’t, in good conscience, vote to confirm him for a lifetime position as a court of appeals judge on the ninth circuit.”

So besides GOA, any logic anywhere as to WHY Trump is nominating this guy????

It's hard to find qualified conservative candidates from the small pool of lawyers in Hawaii. And the Senate Judiciary Committee has something called the "blue slip" process that controls judicial nominees from each state, though they'll bypass it if it gets abused. See this:

Confirming qualified conservative nominees to the 9th Circuit poses a daunting challenge for the administration. Senators are generally given deference over judicial vacancies in their state, and may use a procedural mechanism called the “blue slip” to veto candidates they do not support. The Senate Judiciary Committee does not hold hearings for a particular nominee until the senators from the state where the vacancy occurs submit their blue slip, though GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley, who currently chairs the panel, has occasionally set aside this prerogative in recent months.

Since many states within the 9th Circuit, including California, Hawaii, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington, have two Democratic senators, liberal lawmakers could stall progress on appointments to that court for months, absent escalatory action from Grassley and other committee Republicans.

Liberal political dominance throughout the 9th Circuit is itself a problem for the White House, as it makes finding well-credentialed conservatives of sufficient intellectual heft a challenge. With west coast political institutions, law schools, and bar associations firmly aligned with progressive causes, the administration has few scouts or sources to recommend attractive nominees.

This Bennett guy is back-pedaling saying that he was just a lawyer representing the wishes of his client (the state of Hawaii) and his personal beliefs on the 2nd mirror those upheld by the Supreme Court. Um, weren't you the AG of Hawaii, meaning that you were the one who decides what cases to move forward on and which ones not to? I wonder if Maura can take that stance when she leaves office. "It wasn't me, I love guns, I was just doing what the state wanted".

This Bennett guy is back-pedaling saying that he was just a lawyer representing the wishes of his client (the state of Hawaii) and his personal beliefs on the 2nd mirror those upheld by the Supreme Court. Um, weren't you the AG of Hawaii, meaning that you were the one who decides what cases to move forward on and which ones not to? I wonder if Maura can take that stance when she leaves office. "It wasn't me, I love guns, I was just doing what the state wanted".

Apparently in Hawaii the AG is a gubernatorial appointee, so it's possible he could have been following orders

Back
Top Bottom