• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Go bag / Bug out bag

So I am re-evaluating my emergency survival kit. My current bag is more of an "oh shit the power is out" bag. I'm thinking that this bag should cover me for "ice storm to survive a week". I'm looking for thoughts on contents, my bag choice is the Osprey Atmos but that could change pending contents. It really should be enough space and rugged enough for a week. Contents should also provide the basis for longer term survival if things really get bad.

I know there are old threads on this topic but I figured we could start a longer term conversation. My list is very basic and meant to be a starting point.

Initial, very rough and incomplete list:

BagOsprey Atmos
KnifeESEE 6
sleeping bagArmy issue modular system
Solar Cell charger
Gun:10/22 takedown
ammo:.22
Fire:matches, fire starter, lighters
Food snacksCliff bars, trail mix
Food mainMRE
Book on plants & wildlife
water:life straw, collapsible water bottles
Cookingstove
pot
utensils
IFAK
Lightflashlight & batteries
chem lights
clothesnylon pants, shirt, hat, gloves, socks
shelterblanket
tarp
reflective blanket
navigationcompass
maps
Misccord
sewing kit
Batteries
Multi tool

Last edited:
Good thing to add is antibiotics and first aid related items tournequit bandages sutures first aid survival manual.

A small visine/eyedropper filled with some oil for the 10/22.

Baofeng UV5R. Small and Lightweight ham radio with FM . Only $30.

Good call on the UV5R: Mine is sitting on a shelf from Christmas and that reminds me, I need to take the exam.

Flat prybar, interesting. I wonder how much those weigh?

I have Mylar blankets that double as full body tinfoil: Much more powerful than a simple hat.

150301-news-better-call-saul.jpg

That's a good size Osprey; appropriate, though, if you're looking for a week. I went with the Manta 36 (M/L) for my car. It offers excellent space, but not too cumbersome for a 50 something if I'm caught in a shitstorm and need a bag to get me home or keep me alive in a remote area.

Second the swap from the 10/22 to a sub2k. You can get high capacity mags for most models and match your carry gun except for 45 cal.

And let me know if you go to talk th ham class before the test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second the swap from the 10/22 to a sub2k. You can get high capacity mags for most models and match your carry gun except for 45 cal.

And let me know if you go to talk th ham class before the test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sub2k would be more of a self defense than a hunting gun and ammo would probably max out at 1-200 rounds. My thought w the 10/22 is weight. I also have a .22 conversion for my 226 if it comes to that but I think we've probably beat those threads to a pulp.

Longer term bug out for one:

https://www.amazon.com/Catoma-Adventure-Shelters-Enhanced-64561F/dp/B007P5O2LG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484512200&sr=8-2&keywords=catoma+ibns

I have one and it has worked well for wilderness treks. Gives me my own private log sawing (snoring) isolation. Packs down to 13 x 13 x only 4" thick. For really shitty weather you want a real shelter, not a makeshift tarp on a rope.

That said, I'm of the bug-in school: I have my own well, generator, garden, and a couple acres abutting a few thousand acres of good hunting land.

Any items to barter on the road? A few 1/2 pints of vodka and few bags of drum could grease the wheels in all the right scenarios.

Assume this is for a situation where you can't "bug-in". Obviously that would be more of a prepped scenario than a survivalist scenario.

Think of this like a trunk "oh **** what did I get myself into" bag.

Last edited:
Assume this is for a situation where you can't "bug-in". Obviously that would be more of a prepped scenario than a survivalist scenario.

Just mentioning bug in as that's the prepper direction for me, though I have the bug out gear by default due to long distance treks I have taken.

I preach a lot about water filtration because on a few 2 week, up to 130 mile treks I have seen MANY filters fail.

In each case I and everyone in my team was very glad I did my homework and bothered to carry a slightly heavy filter:

http://generalecology.com/category/portable

The General Ecology First Need XLE was the only one to not have problems unless the water was pristine. Sometimes even very clear looking water has enough particulate or 'bugs' to clog the usual filters one can buy at places like REI. If it does start to clog or slow down, it can be back-washed. One 2 week trip out west in drought conditions, the water sources were sometimes only trickles of nasty stuff. Boiling makes it safe but it's still nasty to drink or would give dehydrated food a bad taste. All other filters (Katahdin, MSR, the like...) failed after a few days and this one kept going. Needed to back-wash it 2 or 3 times.

I think I have dodged giardia contamination but did get sick from water provided by others and contaminated with cryptosporidium. NOT fun. BTW, iodine tablets are not effective against crypto.

If long distances and heavier loads are involved, by all means get a pack with a real suspension, that puts the weight on your hips. I'm getting older and not quite the hoss I used to be, so I'll probably go down in pack size and weight. The Gregory UM21 pack I have used in the past is not very light but can support very heavy loads with excellent comfort to me. The closest civilian version is the Gregory Denali. Pack design totally different but the suspension system is close in quality and configuration.

Think of this like a trunk "oh **** what did I get myself into" bag.

Like if SHTF and you and your family are 200 miles from home.

Back
Top Bottom