GMail is down

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I know im new around here but if shlt goes sour just look for my nes patch ill be fully kitted out and too fat to run
LOL, took you no time to fit in. And for the record, that’s the reason we all carry.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Since we are talking about Google, fun random fact...

I work in cyber security, and all my clients have stuff on the cloud.

I have a lot of clients migrating cloud services and they all have one thing in common; they are all Google cloud users and they are all migrating away from Google Cloud.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I have a lot of clients migrating cloud services and they all have one thing in common; they are all Google cloud users and they are all migrating away from Google Cloud.
But, where are they going?

My Gmail is up. I noticed occasional problems logging on, but then I was watching NetFlix most of the time.

fshalor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Funny. I'm camping and not on call. Never moved my phone over to Outlook (everything is forwarded to our about to go away g-suite account). ...

No idea if there was carnage yet. Since I can't check email (yay) but I'm considering this validation for my push to make people in my company stop relying on fscking email for alerts and notifications of things.

It's stupid. It was stupid in 1999. And it's even more stupid in 2019.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Good.

Move away from Google people. Use protonmail for your email. Duckduckgo, or startpage, for your searches. Brave browser. Bitchute for video content where possible (so any kind of alternative journalism stuff you watch should be here already).

Sadly I still have a Google OS on my phone but that is trickier to move away from.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I had a Gmail account I used for internet purchases, etc so my main account (not Gmail) don't get all the ads and spam. That was fine until they decided to lock me out when using VPN. Dropped that account and moved to a Protonmail account. Plays nice with VPN, much better.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I had a Gmail account I used for internet purchases, etc so my main account (not Gmail) don't get all the ads and spam. That was fine until they decided to lock me out when using VPN. Dropped that account and moved to a Protonmail account. Plays nice with VPN, much better.
Can you elaborate on that? I am surprised you would get locked out for using a VPN. People use VPN all the time, including for reasons that they would not consider "subversive" such as when you need a VPN to connect to a corporate network.

What message did you get and where when you were locked out? Could you have gotten back in or was this some kind of permanent ban?

Or was it TOR? With that, your IP address jumps around every 10 minutes and it is common for web services to notice this and tell you to stop.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Can you elaborate on that? I am surprised you would get locked out for using a VPN. People use VPN all the time, including for reasons that they would not consider "subversive" such as when you need a VPN to connect to a corporate network.

What message did you get and where when you were locked out? Could you have gotten back in or was this some kind of permanent ban?

Or was it TOR? With that, your IP address jumps around every 10 minutes and it is common for web services to notice this and tell you to stop.
I use Private Internet Access. I didn't have issues until I used a different PIA server location than usual, but I lost confidence of not being locked out permanently. They asked me some "security questions" like month and year I set up the account (have no idea), etc. So even with the correct password, I could not access my email until I was on the same IP address that they apparently recognize. So, in other words if PIA were to change the IP address of the VPN location I typically use, I'd likely be locked out again, unless I jump through hoops Gmail demands, such as tying my cell phone to that account, which I refuse to do. So I moved on from Gmail.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I just read that people who use NEST locks and thermostats were sol yesterday.
I don't have those devices, but you would think someone would have designed them to continue working when internet is intermittent. It seems obvious to me. Internet down on vacation, then your pipes freeze and fill basement up with 8 feet of water? I call that a poor design.

ben1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read this too and also people with the nest cameras and baby monitors weren't able to use them. I have the thermostats though and while its true you couldn't access the app I was able to do it the old fashion way and walk up to the unit and adjust it.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I read this too and also people with the nest cameras and baby monitors weren't able to use them. I have the thermostats though and while its true you couldn't access the app I was able to do it the old fashion way and walk up to the unit and adjust it.
Okay good, that is an acceptable way to degrade functionality if internet is out. Obviously you won't be setting temps over the internet.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
were they stuck in their houses, unable to open the doors?
I remember a horror movie like that once....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was another Google outage yesterday. I know it affected calendar, not sure about other services.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Woah woah woah.... whats that

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I use Private Internet Access. I didn't have issues until I used a different PIA server location than usual, but I lost confidence of not being locked out permanently. They asked me some "security questions" like month and year I set up the account (have no idea), etc. So even with the correct password, I could not access my email until I was on the same IP address that they apparently recognize. So, in other words if PIA were to change the IP address of the VPN location I typically use, I'd likely be locked out again, unless I jump through hoops Gmail demands, such as tying my cell phone to that account, which I refuse to do. So I moved on from Gmail.
Google is definitely super evil.

That said gmail giving you a hard time for logging in from a new IP is a good thing. GMail will remember your last 10 IP's used. When an IP falls off the list or a new IP is seen it will start asking questions. The "when did you make your account" is one of them, and I suspect most people wouldn't be able to answer it easily.

That said if your at that point you are already completely lost in the recovery process.

Your refusal to use your cell phone to assist in account recover is a choice that you can make, but is a dumb choice. No one cares what your cell phone is. And google probably already knows it anyway. Google 2-Step Verification this is the program for that and had you used it it wouldnt be asking you crazy questions.

Using an Authenticator should be the end game, as thats probably the best way to keep your account safe. Stealing peoples cell phone numbers is fairly easy to do so people can bypass 2FA via cell phone texted PINs if they are hell bent on getting into your account. If you have an Authenticator they will need the keys for that, and thats up to you to not leave the print out of the QR code on your fridge.

Gmail did nothing wrong in your case. Is silly reason to leave google considering all the actual stupid shit they do.

Reactions: KVX
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dig this. Facebook, who wants to censor you, now wants to do currency. Imagine them being in charge of your money?

Top Bottom