1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Glucosamine Chondroitin

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 45collector, Oct 2, 2009.

1. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Anyone take this for joint discomfort? The only thing that really ever aches on me is my left knee from a mountain biking mishap about 10 years ago. Some days it's fine, other days it aches like a SOB and I can barely get up from the kneeling position. I just turned 30 and I figured taking this supplement may save me some future agony. I do a lot of hiking too so I imagine I may have hip problems later on in life. Anybody have any input as far as if the stuff really helps?

2. 45collector

45collector NES Member

oh jeez, it's not gonna make me start licking my nuts is it? [wink]

2 people like this.
  3. Joe G

Joe G NES Member

I tried it for a month. No noticeable improvement for me. Others swear by it. I ended up having knee surgery - several times. Drop me a PM if you want the name of a good ortho in Boston.

4. Keystone

Keystone

Our dog takes it, it has helped her considerably. My father takes it, I haven't asked if it helps or not, but he keeps taking it, so...

5. catamount

catamount

I haven't taken it personally, but have read about it a decent amount and talked to a few docs about the topic. It seems that the effectiveness is still up in the air. This line seems to sum it up pretty well....

"After assessing the x-ray data, the researchers concluded that glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, together or alone, appeared to fare no better than placebo in slowing loss of cartilage in osteoarthritis of the knee."
    http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm

You should see if you can get a referral to a sports medicine doctor. They know so much than a GP more about the mechanics of the body it's not even funny. Also, there have been some pretty great advances in non-surgical knee care. Anyways, hope you find something that works for you.

6. catamount

catamount

And would that be a positive or negative side effect for you [smile]

7. K-DUB

K-DUB

I (& both of the dogs) take a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM combo daily. My knee joint pain has improved since I started it a few years ago.

As for the pooches, my female had a traumatic leg injury about a year ago. Through a combination of diet, physical therapy/exercise, & supplementation, she is at about 95% back to normal physical activity w/out surgery. If she'd undergone the recommended surgery, the vet said that at best she'd be at about 70-80% back to normal mobility, & would've needed more surgery in the future.

8. zzrider

zzrider

My wife takes it; says it definitely helps.

9. Nickle

Nickle

I take it.

Can't say how much it helps, but, it damned sure isn't making my ankle any worse.

Kind of like giving an enema to a dead man. Might not help, but sure isn't hurting anything.

1 person likes this.
  10. cyberlogicx

cyberlogicx

I've been using it for my knee for about six months now. It helps, it's not a miracle, but it sure beats taking painkillers every day.

11. Garys

Garys NES Member

I discussed this with my doctor. He told me that there was no reason not to take it, so I started to. When I don't forget to take it, it works pretty well. When I do forget to take it, seems like my joints hurt more. The theory is that this replenishes the fluid in the joints and decreases friction, which results in less pain and greater mobility.

12. Tim94gt

Tim94gt

I have been taking it for years as part of my suplement regiment. It takes about 2 months before you feel any results. I had problems with my right elbow and shoulder, they no longer bother me.

If you can deal with bad tastes, I would recommend getting it in liquid form, it absorbs into your body better. I would also recommend taking fish oil, it is a good anti-inflametory and lubricates joints as well.

13. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Thanks for all the input! If it can't hurt, and it won't drain my wallet, why not? I've heard of the fish oil supplement and I'll probably look into that too. Since turning 30 I've started thinking about taking preventative measures to make sure I'll still be able to do all the outdoor stuff I love when I'm older.

Quitting my pack-a-day cowboy killers habit probably wouldn't hurt either. [thinking]

14. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Too funny!! But if it improves your joint mobility so that you could lick your nuts w/o pain, you might be onto something. [rofl] [laugh] [laugh2]

-------------------

My Wife's PCP told her that it wouldn't hurt and the jury is out on effectivity. She took it for osteoporosis for a number of years . . . meanwhile annual bone density tests showed that she was still losing bone density. She stopped taking it a few years ago.

It might work better for joint pain than osteoporosis?? Who knows?

15. center442

center442 NES Member

Well, if it does you might have to increase the dosage because your back might start hurting. [wink]

I took it for about a year because of knee and ankle problems. No noticeable effect in my case. Others have said it works for them. Give it a try. It's cheaper than Obamacare. [smile]

EDIT: LenS beat me to it!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  16. Garys

Garys NES Member

Again? [wink]

17. bdutton

bdutton

Every time I heard those words reminds me of this character saying it:

[​IMG]

18. MrsWildweasel

MrsWildweasel Moderator NES Member

I take it and it helps alot. Hubby tried it and didn't help him.

19. Mass-diver

Mass-diver NES Member

I tired it for a while, didn't think it helped. I think the only research that shows it works at all if for knee pain.

20. jshooter

jshooter NES Member

I have been taking it for 3 or 4 years now. The first time I tried it I stopped taking it after 6 months. Thats when I realized it really was helping me out. I have a lot of chronic pain and a ruptured disc in my neck. A chiro has really helped with the neck issues but the gluc/cond has eliminated a lot of hand, wrist ,elbow pain.

21. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I tried it for around 6 months. It did not do anything all that obvious about helping. I recently read a lot of negative stuff on it, and decided to stop taking it, again without much change.

The glucosamine is supposed to have the side effect of screwing up your blood sugar. The condriton is supposed to have the side effect of making prostate cancer more likely. DO not know if that is true, or just internet b.s.

22. economist

economist

Mine too (65lb german shepherd). Brand name "Dasuquin": 600mg glucosamine hydrochloride, 350mg sodium chondroitin sulfate, 90mg avocado/soybean unsaponifiables.

No more, no less.

23. Cmaro21

Cmaro21

Look into DMSO, definitely research it first. It is great but can be harmful if not used properly. - I AM NOT A DOCTOR

24. Big Daddy 45acp

Big Daddy 45acp Instructor

If you take this, make sure you have a Doctor rule out any underlying problems!!!
    My right knee started to act up, so I figured that I would try the GC. It helped a little. Then a month later, I was in emergency surgery for a ruptured Patellar Tendon.
    The knee pain I was experiencing was the tendon slowly starting to separate. Over a year later and I am still not 100%.

25. MrsWildweasel

MrsWildweasel Moderator NES Member

I talked with my doctor on the blood sugar, it screws it up if you are insulin dependent. I'm not so for now I can take it.

26. ShootinFoodie

ShootinFoodie

In a place near a place that abuts another place.
    Becuase there is really no solid evidence for it, it is hard to endorse it.
    There have been a lot of folks who take it and claim it has worked for them.

My good friend ha been taking it for his blown-out knees and says it has done wonders for him.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. You need to take it regularly and consistently. A contant blood level is necessary for it to be of any benefit.

2. It takes a several weeks to really get into the joints. There is no circulation in/out of the synovial fluid. Anything comes and goes by passive diffusion. Thus, it takes a while to get in there and a small fraction at that.

3. Take it and watch how you feel. Sometimes it comes from sea sources. If you are sensitive to seafood, watch for any level of allergic reaction.

Like I said, there is little scientific proof of efficacy but plenty of anecdotal. Give it try, it certainly isn't going to hurt.

On a side note, there were a couple smaller high-end brands of dog food that were fortified with glucosamine and chondroitin. The owners that were feeding these diets claimed their dogs were like they were puppies again. Turned out that in addition to the G/C fortification, they were also adding analgesics. Thus, less joint pain causing the dogs to become more active.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  27. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Update...

I've been taking this stuff for about a month now and I can honestly say me knee feels much better! Cool! [grin]

It doesn't "pop" nearly as much, if at all anymore. Hell it feels like I have the knee of an 18 yr old again!

So yeah I'm glad I started taking it. [banana]

28. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Well, it's supposed to take six weeks before you notice anything.

I've had problems with my left knee the last few years. Started going to an acupuncturist last July, and now I'm playing tennis and hockey again. And I'm 56.

The acupuncturist says that some natural formulations are better than the pills, but I've been taking Triple Flex for the last couple months.

29. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

My mom takes it and likes it.

Her dog who was 17 also used to take it, when the dog was alive.

If not for those meds, the dog would have been unable to walk.

It works if I can recall by helping to lubricate the joints.

It takes a few weeks to see results.