• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glove Modification

I have a part-time job selling guns at a Gander Mountain in upstate NY.

Last winter, a female state trooper came in looking for help in finding a good pair of shooting gloves. She had a
qualification shoot coming up, and had discovered that she couldn't pull the slide back with gloves on.

She never found anything that worked, and seemed singularly unimpressed when I showed her the overhand grip and suggested she use that instead of the two finger slingshot style she was using. She left, and I never saw her again.

A few days later, I had a brainstorm. I don't know if I've reinvented the wheel, I only know that I'VE never seen this particular modification before.

I degreased the slide, and cut some skateboard tape into thin strips that just fit IN the serations on my slide. It looks sharp as hell, and it really improves your traction with leather gloves on.

Because, the tape drops down INTO the serations, the ridges one either side keep it from sliding. I used it this past summer for two courses I attended, and the small pieces all stayed perfectly in place.

Here's a picture of my Kahr with this glove modification.

Kahr.jpg

Regards
John

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11909
Beat you to it!
[smile]

The overhand method doesn't work with adjustable sights because the sharp corner tears up my hands and it puts stress on the sight. It also risks having my hand over the ejection port. On 1911s there isn't enough space between serrations to put the tape in. I like Sig style serrations, I never have trouble with those. I have the EGW firing pin stop on my 1911 and a 23 pound mainspring so it can be touch to rack the slide with the hammer down without the grip tape. It does tear up my hand something fierce though.

Pretty slick looking. I don't have a problem racking my Kahr with gloves on but it's just about due for another recoil spring. If the fresh spring combined with gloves is a bit much then I'll cheerfully steal your idea. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom