• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gloucester - Thieves crack gun safe, steal multiple firearms

DW357

NES Member
Well that really sucks. Nice neighborhood that's not in the boonies. It's too bad none of the neighbors saw anything. But clearly the burglars were watching the place and waiting for the homeowners to leave for a while.

I hope they can get them back but I highly doubt it. Also curious to know what type of "gun safe" the owners had i.e. gun cabinet or an actual safe.

Thieves crack gun safe, steal multiple firearms

"Gloucester police are investigating a burglary in which one or more intruders allegedly stole a cache of firearms from a locked gun safe in a home last week.

Police Chief John McCarthy said Monday that detectives are looking into the apparent early-morning Friday break into a house on Juniper Road, located off Apple Street in the Wheeler's Point neighborhood. According to an online post by a family member of the victim, the thieves also made off with jewelry and computer equipment. But McCarthy said the stolen firearms are of special concern to police.

"We're always concern whenever firearms get out," McCarthy said, adding that all of the reportedly stolen guns were registered.

According to the online post, the missing weapons were a Sig 9-millimeter handgun, a Bushmaster AR rifle, a GSG 522, a Walther 22, a lever-action .45 long Colt, and Colt single-action copy in .45 long Colt.

McCarthy said the owners of the single-family ranch were not at home of the time of the break, but they had the guns safety stored and properly secured in a safe.

"The gun safe itself was broken into," McCarthy said.

Massachusetts State Police also responded to the scene and are investigating as well, McCarthy said.

Anyone with information on the break is encouraged to call the Police Department business line at 978-283-1212."

Last edited:
They may not want it back - someone break into my dad's safe years ago and cleaned him out; they were caught quickly but the Police handled his firearms like crap; when they offered them back to him there were chips and dents in the stocks, rust of the barrels; none of which was in the recovery photos.

They may not want it back - someone break into my dad's safe years ago and cleaned him out; they were caught quickly but the Police handled his firearms like crap; when they offered them back to him there were chips and dents in the stocks, rust of the barrels; none of which was in the recovery photos.
Police protecting and serving....

Good reason why your home security should include an inside the safe alarm system that detects the doors opening and closing as well as movement.

Yup. I get test alerts every Monday morning at 8:00. Battery life is great. You can bet that if I am getting movement alerts when I know the house is empty (or should be) I'm calling the PD.

......one or more intruders allegedly stole a cache of firearms....
nice neighborhood it's a cache, crappy neighborhood we're talking arsenal.
years ago i bought a beautiful colt 1911 manufactured in 1953 from the widow of a man who used it in a suicide. she had just gotten it back from evidence after about 2 years, had it transferred to a guy at my club, and he would sell it for her. it still had the dried blood on it. damn cops for not cleaning it up (tongue in cheek here). the blood just flecked off but as expected there were rust pits underneath. another vote here that all departments should have a gun cleaning and preservation division in the evidence locker. lol

years ago i bought a beautiful colt 1911 manufactured in 1953 from the widow of a man who used it in a suicide. she had just gotten it back from evidence after about 2 years, had it transferred to a guy at my club, and he would sell it for her. it still had the dried blood on it. damn cops for not cleaning it up (tongue in cheek here). the blood just flecked off but as expected there were rust pits underneath. another vote here that all departments should have a gun cleaning and preservation division in the evidence locker. lol

In fairness, that case might have been preserving evidence. Though the humane thing to do would've been to clean the blood off it after the investigation was completed and before they returned the gun.

Good reason why your home security should include an inside the safe alarm system that detects the doors opening and closing as well as movement.
I have never heard of this, were could I find info about a system like this?

Just about all commercial safes have a magnetic continuity switch wired to the door. These are generally visible as commercial grade (TL rated) safes are painted and decorated for utiity, not to shine like a new car. Liberty has a unit that is internet connected and goes inside the safe.

Given what the kopsch seemed to tell the media, doesn't sound like it. Otherwise they would be saying nothing while they figure out how to prosecute the
gun owner.

-Mike

GPD has a lot of good guys. a few gun guys and vets. home owner will be fine. knowing a lot shit heads up there I bet this was someone who knows a family member in that house or a friend of a friend kind of deal.

Or maybe just allocate 20 bucks every couple months for some remoil wipes... Doesnt take much time to wipe down some guns to keep them from rusting.

GPD has a lot of good guys. a few gun guys and vets. home owner will be fine. knowing a lot shit heads up there I bet this was someone who knows a family member in that house or a friend of a friend kind of deal.
Yeah there definitely are some good/gun guys as I shoot with a couple of them at the range from time to time. But I'm sure there's plenty that don't GAF about guns.

And yes I'd imagine an inside job.

Liberty SafElerts.

Great product. Detects door opening and closing. Temperature and humidity. Movement. Sends alerts to your phone in seconds via your wireless network. It may or may not require an external antenna. One of my safes needs it, the other does not.

Edit to add: This is just one line of defense. You could set up a camera(s) or add a door switch to your alarm system that monitors the safe when the alarm is armed.

Last edited:
Inside Job. Or maybe someone followed the guy home from the range or gun shop.

Never really thought about the gun shop angle. It'd be tough for anyone to follow me home from the range because there's typically so little traffic.

But all the 1 times I did business at the gun parlor a few years back, it would have been cake-walk to follow me home from there as I live right down the street from where they used to be.

Inside Job. Or maybe someone followed the guy home from the range or gun shop.

Going through trash is another way to identify a gun owner. Think about the stuff we get delivered to us. Packages in large boxes, anything from Brownells, MidwayUSA, etc. Trash from packaging from firearms companies. Even mail you throw away. For example I just got this big honking packet thing from NRA-ILA that was hanging half way out of my mail box with a big NRA logo on it.

I doubt it's all that difficult, it just takes time and effort.

Back
Top Bottom