• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glocks

OK,is it just me but the $$$$$ people want for USED glocks is nuts. I just like to know how you feel about the price demand for glocks. Are they really worth it. I know they are great guns but. Whats your opinion.

I think it's supply and demand. We have to wait for somebody to bring certain models in state so that we can snatch them up. Your $400 Glock magically turns into a $650 Glock just by crossing state lines [rolleyes]

ETA- my Glock was worth every penny. My husband loves his, too.

It's the old supply and demand forces at work here. Nice pieces and the reputation holds true. I like them but the auroa of a metal .45 is getting to me after seeing and reading about them here.

Glocks are great guns. Admittedly they are not for everyone, but then tell me what firearm is?

SR and pj150 nailed it. You can't get new ones period (thank you AG Reilly you POS) so the ones that are here are going to command higher prices. Just like in any high demand - low supply situation.

We may not like it but it's one powerful force of nature.

They usually run about 30% over what they would be selling for elsewhere. Are they worth it? Probably not, but if thats what you want, open your wallet. Should Glock again do business, poof ! Those $800 used Glocks will again be $300 bucks.

I agree supply and demand.I own 2 glocks both refurbs and paid about 400 for each which I think was a fair price, far from some prices I seen.

kendall-op said:
I agree supply and demand.I own 2 glocks both refurbs and paid about 400 for each which I think was a fair price, far from some prices I seen.

But you probably bought the G17 & G22, both common guns to get in MA. We own both too and bought them at FS for $400 each. They still get a regular supply of refurbs of G17/G22 for that same money.

It's the smaller models or the heavier calibers that command the serious premium $ in MA.

Even the out of state dealers are toting MA compliant glocks in an attempt to get business from us. They know we'll pay extra for them. Nothing to be done about it, except hope that Reilly loses the Govenors race and a new AG gets the job. Hopefully that person will be a little less strict. Doubtful, but a slim hope non the less.

I got mine for around 400, seems fair to me, it is a G17. I like it a lot. I have been looking at them like the AK-47 of the pistol world, except much more accurate.

Round Gun Shooter said:
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Glock hater. I have a gen 3 Model 31 and love it. But I would not pay $800 for one.

Regards,
Since I'm poor and not involved in competition shooting I wouldn't pay $800 for any gun when there are so many nice used guns out there that will suit me just fine. Actually the only guns I bought new were the Ruger Mks III and 10/22, both less than $300.

The prices for all good quality, non-"list" guns will continue to climb, as long as the current "regulations" are in effect.
I recently paid nearly $750 for an older S&W revolver and was happy to get it at any price, after a 4 year search. I could have purchased the exact same gun for $550, any day of the week, in the free states.[angry]
Besides all this, have you checked the list prices on new S&W revolvers or Sigs lately? It'll take your breath away!
Someone recently told me that it cost the factory about $75 to produce a Glock, a few years ago. Shipping costs have skyrocketed. Liability insurance rates and legal fees have risen dramatically. The market for civilian handguns is not increasing much, except in post-disaster locations. Raw material and energy costs are increasing rapidly. All domestic manufacturing is affected by these things.
It really doesn't look good for us, as gun owners/buyers, in the near term.

Well I don't think even the baby Glocks or the compacts- 19, 23 are worth $750+ and it bothers me that fellow MA residents/dealers try to get that much... but that's just me.

On the other hand I think Glocks are some of the best damn guns around IMO. I started with Sigs (arguably one of the best pistol mfr) and lately have been finding a love for these plastic gems.

Lugnut said:
Well I don't think even the baby Glocks or the compacts- 19, 23 are worth $750+ and it bothers me that fellow MA residents/dealers try to get that much... but that's just me.
Why should someone be expected to sell something they own for considerably less than it would cost them to purchase a used model of similar vintage and mileage?

Rob Boudrie said:
Why should someone be expected to sell something they own for considerably less than it would cost them to purchase a used model of similar vintage and mileage?

I'm all for supply and demand believe me. But I guess what I'm saying is that it bugs me that people try to get such a premium for these guns... not sure why it bugs me it just does. I guess the artificial high market value due to crappy MA laws is what bothers me. As a matter of fact.. if someone did a little research they could get pre 98 Glocks from out of state, pay the dealer transfer costs and still save some good money.

Mark my word... if I sell my Glocks I'll make sure to sell it IN MA for a price well below the prices I've seen.

If my fellow free staters would like to know what it feels like to buy a Glock in MA, go buy a class 3 weapon in your free state.

Both command premium prices, both make you jump through hoops, and both are strictly regulated. I can't wait till I can take a $150 Mossberg 500, register it as an SBS, and make it into a $600 gun.

P.S., I don't think a Glock is worth the recycled milk jugs it's made out of, but that's just me. To me they recoil extremely funny and have stupid triggers and I am ALWAYS trying to snap the non existant safety off. No I don't own one and hopefully never will.

FPrice said:
Glocks are great guns. Admittedly they are not for everyone, but then tell me what firearm is?

+1 to that. I've never enjoyed shooting a glock. I just don't much care for them. But I also can't call them bad guns, by any stretch.

Hey I preach 1911s to the high-heavens, but I know many people who dislike them.

But in the end, any gun your local Gun Dealer can't stock new will demand a premium always.

This is also the reason why the Colt Snake Gun suddenly jumped through the roof when colt discontinued them.

I hope they come to their sences, I wants me an Anaconda!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I hated Glocks right up until I bought my first one. From that point on they started multiplying like rabbits!

For factory-refurbished Glock 17s, you can hardly beat Four Seasons' prices. $399!

Some people like Glocks, others don't. There are plenty of great choices in the marketplace, and Gaston Glock's guns are among them.

Lugnut said:
I'm all for supply and demand believe me. But I guess what I'm saying is that it bugs me that people try to get such a premium for these guns... not sure why it bugs me it just does. I guess the artificial high market value due to crappy MA laws is what bothers me. As a matter of fact.. if someone did a little research they could get pre 98 Glocks from out of state, pay the dealer transfer costs and still save some good money.

Mark my word... if I sell my Glocks I'll make sure to sell it IN MA for a price well below the prices I've seen.

I wonder if the same reasoning on supply and demand would apply to things like a '64 Mustang convertable or pre-depression US gold coins. After all, that Mustang only cost about $2K originally so it hardly seems "fair" that it should sell for much more than that 40+ years later. And the only reason that those old gold coins could be worth much more than their face value is that the government imposed a bunch of stupid and arguably unconstitutional rules, melting them down and outlawing the private ownership of gold, then dropping the gold basis for our coins and currency. If you ever run across one of those 1933 Double Eagles, I'll give you $50 for it, more than double its "actual" value. When it comes to prices, anything other than supply and demand is pure, unadulterated, 100% B S.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom