glocks, anyone shoot reloads in theirs?

greencobra

NES Member
i do. jacketed, lead, doesn't matter. they say no, don't. i've been a glock fanboy for 40 years, still shooting hard cast through my original pair of gen2's and have had no ill effects. i do tend to clean those barrels a bit more than never like my other stuff. just curious is all.

IIRC there was some concern about lead bullets fouling the barrel because of the way Glock rifles theirs.

Back in the day guys would use a KKM or Lake City drop in barrel of they were going to shoot unjacketed or soft reloads

I can't say I have seen it as a topic here in quite a while.

My RL-550B has reloaded over 60k (mix of 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP) rounds with plated or copper FMJs from Berry, X-Treme, or West Coast (out of business now) and shot through stock Glock barrels in 17s, 19s, a 21, a 23, a 26, and a 43.

No problems.

Thousands of reloads through my .40S&W G22 , I like a soft load with a RMR plated 180 gr RNFP and about 4.5gr of WST powder. About 900 fps . This load tames the harsh "snappy" feel of my G22

i do. jacketed, lead, doesn't matter. they say no, don't. i've been a glock fanboy for 40 years, still shooting hard cast through my original pair of gen2's and have had no ill effects. i do tend to clean those barrels a bit more than never like my other stuff. just curious is all.

I don't anymore but would not hesitate, in the past i shot many many thousands of my owm reloads through 9mm and 45 glocks without issue.

IIRC there was some concern about lead bullets fouling the barrel because of the way Glock rifles theirs.

Back in the day guys would use a KKM or Lake City drop in barrel of they were going to shoot unjacketed or soft reloads

I can't say I have seen it as a topic here in quite a while.
You can shoot lead bullets in a glock if you want to be retarded.... but if you make your own bullets its possible to do it safely. I know a god tier skinflint that has probably put 20000 rounds of his own 155s through a 2nd gen g22 with stock barrel.

I bought a used G23 in 1995 and have shot the shit out of it with cast bullets, mostly the Lee 145 gr. SWC and the Lyman 180 gr. FN, always with Win 231 and mixed police range brass. Never an issue.

If you've got the money for that porcelain number, why slum it with the poors and their reloads?
Excuse me but I hardly think poors applies to the precision munitions that we craft.
Considering components costs these days and the time involved it's become more expensive than mere off the shelf crap.😈

I know plenty of fellow USPSA/IDPA shooters running coated, plated and jacketed in theirs without issue. Not sure I know anyone using cast lead

Yes. But my reloading friends prefer non-glock brass to reload. I have drop ins for when I have a bunch of cast billets to shoot, but I’ve shot some bare lead bullets through factory glock barrels....no issues, no extra lead noted. These are hundreds of bullets, not thousands.

Reload > Factory

You know what is in your reloads. You dont know what is in the factory ammo. Factory ammo is tailored to work in all guns, your reloads can be tailored per firearm.

So the question, if you reload, should be: "why, you bunch of unsophisticated apes, do you put junk factory ammo in your guns?" :)

Last edited:
Reload > Factory

You know what is in your reloads. You dont know what is in the factory ammo. Factory ammo is tailored to work in all guns, your reloads can be tailored per firearm.

So, the question, if you reload, should be: "why, you bunch of unsophisticated apes, do you put junk factory ammo in your guns?" :)
I've got one for you.

I can put commercial remans from the 90s in my 1911, and have a squib (and owner error) lock up everything. So now I have an excuse to replace (at least) the barrel and bushing, and to disassemble 3 boxes of 45, for when I learn to reload...

FML.

You can shoot lead bullets in a glock if you want to be retarded.... but if you make your own bullets its possible to do it safely. I know a god tier skinflint that has probably put 20000 rounds of his own 155s through a 2nd gen g22 with stock barrel.
I would clarify that you can shoot FACTORY lead if you want to be a retard. This is kind of true of any factory lead. It’s made to kind of work. It will probably work in some guns. Especially factory loaded lead ammo. Loading your own from commercial cast can be ok if you know what diameter your gun likes. Too many companies don’t offer proper sizing though so you end up undersized and leaded up.

Back
Top Bottom