Glock to other Transition.

Where the Glocks have a different grip angle and to be accurate needs practice, how is the transition from a Glock to a M&P, Ruger, Sig, etc? I'm sure a lot of people have a Glock and other pistols that they shoot regularly. Is it something you need to adjust every time you go shooting?
With all the striker fire guns I've tried, M&P9, SR9, VP9, etc. I found the Canik TP9SF to be very accurate for me. I want to buy a G17, I like the way it feels in my hand and I have fired one but not a lot. I'm hoping for good accuracy with it.

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s anything to over think or get hung up on here. Get one and shoot the hell out of it. If after a good amount of shooting it does not “fit you” sell it. Everybody is different.

I have had a lot of guns over the years. And you just never know what will or will not work for you until you try it. I love the mid and larger Sigs. But, have sold every one I have owned as none of them have a grip that works for me. Nothing wrong with those guns or me. Just not compatible. A matter of Trial and error.

Think of it like shoes. Some fit, some don’t. Many time the same shoes are comfortable for some and not others, just the way it goes.

I have a friend that can't shoot a glock with any amount of accuracy. I swear it's a mental thing with him cause he's generally a pretty fine pistol shooter. me, I own several and never gave a thought to how much difference the grip angle is between various gun brands, but with my simple brain i'll be thinking about it now, lol. back to my buddy, he had said something once that when he picks up a glock, there's nothing filling that little hollow in his hand, ok, I think I know what he means. I have the same thoughts about shooting a 1911 with a flat mainspring housing, I prefer arched. next time we're at the range together, i'll let him play with with swapping backstraps out on a gen 4, maybe the larger one will fill that space he's talking about. again, with me, I don't get that "empty" space feeling he mentions while handling a glock. I can't offer any helpful advice outside of what seanc said. buy, try, keep or sell.

I don’t think there’s anything to over think or get hung up on here. Get one and shoot the hell out of it. If after a good amount of shooting it does not “fit you” sell it. Everybody is different.

I have had a lot of guns over the years. And you just never know what will or will not work for you until you try it. I love the mid and larger Sigs. But, have sold every one I have owned as none of them have a grip that works for me. Nothing wrong with those guns or me. Just not compatible. A matter of Trial and error.

Think of it like shoes. Some fit, some don’t. Many time the same shoes are comfortable for some and not others, just the way it goes.

Yea, that's why I bought and sold 23 guns in the past 3 yrs. LOL

Every time I hear about someone making a transition now I think they're doing the sex change thing. I guess switching to something else from a Glock is about the same level of significance in one's life.

If the grip angle on a Glock is a big concern for you, take a look at a LoneWolf frame. They're designed to mimic the grip angle of a 1911. I've got one and I like it.

Disclaimer - I like almost all of my guns - except that POS Ruger .22 SP101 - beautiful gun - horrible action.

Honestly, I've never thought about the grip angle thing. I did find, generally, that I shoot all handguns about equal. Equally horrible.

That said, I like my G26. It feels good, especially with a G19 mag with X-Grip extension. Should just buy a G19.

I also very much like my HK VP9 and Kahr PM9. Each shoots about as well as can be reasonably expected. Grip angle is not the reason why I (sometimes) carry a Glock.

I'll admit it, I'm not a Glock fan at all. Great firearm, but it's not my thing. That said, as long as you train with it enough it will feel like a glove. It will then feel odd when you go back to a 1911 type grip angle. Accuracy will come down to proper technique and training. Whether it be a Glock, Sig, S&W, etc.

….take a look at a LoneWolf frame. They're designed to mimic the grip angle of a 1911. I've got one and I like it.
yep, I picked up a large frame on a group buy here a few years ago. after putting on the more hand filling larger, arched backstrap I love the thing. ours came with the optional trigger upgrade so there was a better trigger feel than a stock glock. I shoot it very well for an old shaky guy. but for full disclosure, a lot of people had issues with it or just plain hated it. I dunno, I won that lottery.

If your sights are aligned.... It shouldn't matter whatsoever. The difference I see with grip angle is my initial sight picture off the draw, and that's about it

I found the Canik TP9SF to be very accurate for me. I want to buy a G17, I like the way it feels in my hand and I have fired one but not a lot. I'm hoping for good accuracy with it.

You are likely finding out that the Canik TP9SF has arguably the best striker fire trigger out of the box....that's why you shoot it well.

I doubt grip angle has a heck of a lot to do with it......

I pulled mine brand new out of the box and shot fantastic with it as well, there was no transitioning, grip angle, etc...to me it's all in the trigger and spending a lot of time behind it........ I was considering an VP9 or a G17. But WHY?

Canik delivers everything on the range I'd want it to, dirt cheaply I might add, with no additional trigger BS needed. Added to that it's been reliable as any one of the glocks I've ever fired.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom