Glock Slide Rust and Customer Service

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I do carry the firearm but no part touches my skin and I do take it out quite a bit. It does seem like pitting and I don't like the idea of ruining the finish by essentially sanding the slide. I feel like oiling the firearm will simply take away the rust color and not actually treat anything, otherwise body shops would be out of business right?! "poor some oil on that ole ford".

I will try calling glock back again tomorrow.

"quite a bit", really you should never store the gun in the holster. Still, that shouldn't cause that problem but get in the habit of taking it out every night when you take the gun off so it's not sitting in a sweaty mess all night long. Gives the holster a chance to dry out too.

+1 on something being wrong. I carry my Glocks in all types of weather, don't baby them and, quite honestly, don't wipe them down as much as I do with my more expensive pieces. No rust of any kind. Dat shit ain't right. Get on them.

This. I get sweat on my gen4's all the time. They don't rust like that. In fact they look like new and barely holster wear. I do use a simple light Kydex clip on. No leather.

Doesn't look normal to me

Last edited:
Everybody knows glocks are junk.

[laugh][smile]

But that isnt right, Ive had snow and rain on my glocks before I have even packed them up wet and I dont rush to clean them either.

well apparently I sweat nickel-cadmium battery acid.

my carry pistol. G17 gen 4. Last shot it 1 month ago no issues. It’s since been holstered and carried daily in my usual JMCK appendix holster with a full sweat shield. I jog and exercise with the gun on me and sweat like all hell on it. since rust hadn’t previously been an issue for this pistol, I wasn’t thinking about it until this morning something told me to dry fire my G17.

sure enough the striker was seized such that trigger pull caused the slide to retract. Disassembly showed the extractor bar was also seized from corrosion. Heavy corrosion noted throughout the rear of slide and striker channel. cleaned up with ballistol and PB blaster but still has some evidence of rust and possibly pitting. I replaced the springs.

gen 4 slide finishes have long been questionable but this is the first problem I’ve had. It’s clearly driven by the heavy sweating I’ve done to it, nonetheless impressive for just 1 month and always being stored inside. interestingly the Tau Dev group striker control device (SCD) had minimal rust and was still moving freely, so this wasnt the culprit for seized striker assembly.

I will keep carrying this G17 but will watch the slide internals closely. If it continues to be an issue will nag Glock about it or possibly finally get that muddy girl cerakote job I’ve always wanted.

87BF9CDD-9BF5-42C1-9FC5-40185883946F.jpeg 18CEECE4-B82B-4B6D-8C34-26C3995D88BC.jpeg

Many glocks here and nothing like this.. id call back again. i actually had a very good experience with them CS but totally different reason for calling.

Strange to see this issue.. Did rain water get on it at range and not wiped off?

my carry pistol. G17 gen 4. Last shot it 1 month ago no issues. It’s since been holstered and carried daily in my usual JMCK appendix holster with a full sweat shield. I jog and exercise with the gun on me and sweat like all hell on it. since rust hadn’t previously been an issue for this pistol, I wasn’t thinking about it until this morning something told me to dry fire my G17.

sure enough the striker was seized such that trigger pull caused the slide to retract. Disassembly showed the extractor bar was also seized from corrosion. Heavy corrosion noted throughout the rear of slide and striker channel. cleaned up with ballistol and PB blaster but still has some evidence of rust and possibly pitting. I replaced the springs.

gen 4 slide finishes have long been questionable but this is the first problem I’ve had. It’s clearly driven by the heavy sweating I’ve done to it, nonetheless impressive for just 1 month and always being stored inside. interestingly the Tau Dev group striker control device (SCD) had minimal rust and was still moving freely, so this wasnt the culprit for seized striker assembly.

I will keep carrying this G17 but will watch the slide internals closely. If it continues to be an issue will nag Glock about it or possibly finally get that muddy girl cerakote job I’ve always wanted.

View attachment 513526 View attachment 513527
jeez, doesnt look good at all...

1. No rain water. It wouldn’t matter anyway since sweat is far more corrosive due to salt content and pH.
2. no leather holsters. kydex. I’m not a fudd.
3. I’m not the OP, so this Glock CS thing is irrelevant to my post re: corrosion.

gen 4 slide finishes have long been questionable but this is the first problem I’ve had. It’s clearly driven by the heavy sweating I’ve done to it, nonetheless impressive for just 1 month and always being stored inside. I will keep carrying it but will watch the slide internals closely.

Is this one of the weird light gray satiny transitional finish guns? I have a few of those.

FWIW glerk internals have always been vulnerable to corrosion like that, if subjected to enough moisture.

Is this one of the weird light gray satiny transitional finish guns? I have a few of those.

FWIW glerk internals have always been vulnerable to corrosion like that, if subjected to enough moisture.
i know what you mean about the light grey super crap gen 4 finishes. Those scraped off with a wire brush. Horrible. IIRC those were the very early gen 4’s? Anyway No this slide is a more usual gen 4 matte finish and has actually held up very well aside from the recent sweating adventure.

You need an alternative carry method for when you're exercising. If I can make a suggestion...

vintage-fanny-packs-our-favorite-featured-image-new-blog-2-510x510.jpg

i know what you mean about the light grey super crap gen 4 finishes. Those scraped off with a wire brush. Horrible. IIRC those were the very early gen 4’s? Anyway No this slide is a more usual gen 4 matte finish and has actually held up very well aside from the recent sweating adventure.

Mine didnt scrape off that easily, but they showed holster scuffs etc wicked easy. I think I still have a couple.

I find that finish the most bizarre because there are at least 3 other finishes and they're all better, but what is weird as hell is Glock has alternated around
on them. At least on the Gen5 guns and guns like the 43X and 48, the finishes are mostly standardized and they arrived in a good spot.

The internals corroding thing doesnt surprise me, if you were pouring sweat into the thing.... salty compounds with moisture = corrosion. I knew this from years ago when
soem guy on Sigforum showed the contents of a bunch of handguns retrieved from a sunken safe that was flooded out during Katrina.

The only handgun that seemingly escaped unscathed was an HK, and even on the USP, the slide lock lever still had a coating of rust on it... but the gun was functional. A lot of other guns the springs rotted pretty fast, etc.

With a Glerk you could probably throw it in a freshwater pond for a week, dry it out and itd be fine. but if you had a bucket of salt water? good luck!

Many glocks here and nothing like this.. id call back again. i actually had a very good experience with them CS but totally different reason for calling.

Strange to see this issue.. Did rain water get on it at range and not wiped off?
OP made his first call almost six years ago, and hasn't logged on in four years...I hope he's rectified it by now!

I have had mostly great experiences with Glock Customer Service but sometimes you have to be a little forward. I have simply sent firearms back that I had problems with. That of course requires you to eat the shipping costs (approximately $100). Good deal if they send you a new one, bad deal if they don't. If you want them to pay for shipping you are somewhat at their mercy. In any case, call and let them know that this is your EDC pistol and you are trusting your and your family's lives to Glock. I agree with other posters you probably got a CSR that was having a bad day.

I have had mostly great experiences with Glock Customer Service but sometimes you have to be a little forward. I have simply sent firearms back that I had problems with. That of course requires you to eat the shipping costs (approximately $100). Good deal if they send you a new one, bad deal if they don't. If you want them to pay for shipping you are somewhat at their mercy. In any case, call and let them know that this is your EDC pistol and you are trusting your and your family's lives to Glock. I agree with other posters you probably got a CSR that was having a bad day.

It doesn't cost that much if you have a dealer do it for you. Glock went through this period of faggotry where they insisted everything go 2nd day air for repair but they have stopped doing
that stupidity and are back to the old model. Any FFL can log it in as a repair and use the postal service to ship it down there.

My ancient Gen II G19 never comes out of the worn, sweaty FUDD leather IWB holster it lives in - unless being screwed around with or shot....NEVER overnight to dry out.

It might get a hoppes wipe a few times a year, or every 10th range trip....

The sweat on my hands is so acidic it literally erodes the plastic off the power windows and radio switches in the cars I drive.

Zero rust on the G-19. To give you an idea how old it is, the SN starts with AWB.

Sum Ting Wong with yours.

Weird, to me that looks like the guts where never properly cleaned and lubed from the begining. ?
Sweating all over a firearms I expect ti see finger print stains and exterior rust also.?
Could be some sort of dissimilar metal corrosion going on. Add your funk to it and its a shit storm.

or maybe…..its

Froglube

Weird, to me that looks like the guts where never properly cleaned and lubed from the begining. ?
Sweating all over a firearms I expect ti see finger print stains and exterior rust also.?
Could be some sort of dissimilar metal corrosion going on. Add your funk to it and its a shit storm.

or maybe…..its

Froglube

cleaned and inspected. Lubed no. One doesn’t really lubricate a striker as it will attract debris. It’s also unnecessary as Glock striker‘s only metal-metal contact is the trigger bar to searing surface of striker. The rest is metal-plastic including the entire striker channel. I don’t use froglube although it was invented by navy seals so it must be amazing. Did I mention it is made by navy seals?

There is significant surface rust on exterior of slide on the rear adjacent to the striker channel. Basically I think Some globs of my cadmium man-sweat got past the striker retainer plate, sat there for a few weeks and somehow corroded the hell out of the rear part of striker channel.

this is one of the reasons I carry a G17 gen 4. These are LEO trade-ins I got for cheap. most of the year I carry a 92G variant but in humid summer conditions I prefer the Glock so I don’t have to much worry about it getting rocked by the humidity (and apparently my toxic fatty sweat!)

Of note, I haven’t replaced the striker liner although the likelihood of corrosion under the liner is very low. In a month or so if it appears to be corroding again, I’ll strip the slide, remove the striker liner and re-finish it with a bead-blast cerakote job. Thankfully I’ve got a few other G17’s so if this one needs a vaca all is good. I have a stronger emotional bond to my Dremel tool than my Glocks.

Last edited:
You need an alternative carry method for when you're exercising. If I can make a suggestion...

vintage-fanny-packs-our-favorite-featured-image-new-blog-2-510x510.jpg
Get two dudes, one with a big-ass mustache and the other with a headband, to play bodyguard for you??? I guess that could work.

or maybe…..its

Froglube

Frickin dissimilar metals. 2 years ago, I bought a new garden hose. Guaranteed NEVER to kink or freeze or split or bend or anything. Basically it's a rolled up Sch 80 tube. LOL

Anyhow, I go to take the nozzle off of it a week or so ago. Won't budge. I grab two wrenches. Nope.

Hmmm.

I look. Then I look again. Then I wonder, "are they THAT stupid???"

Yup. The fittings are aluminum. Short of single-use plastic ones, all nozzles are brass. They corroded nicely together. Threw both of them out. Got a slightly lesser grade hose with BRASS fittings. ARRGGHH!!!!

Thankfully, I did get it off of the hose bib. I guess removing at teh end of LAST season ensured it wasn't a corroded mess. But it needed a wrench to do so.

Helpful tip - wrap all of your hose bibs and hose ends in teflon tape. Makes putting and removing things easier AND it seals better.

No worries regarding derailing a necro-thread, so what's up with bashing leather holsters as Fudd? Maybe a big OWB with a snap closure flap- sure, but leather in general?

This is not one month of sweat. This has been building for a while.

Or you are one of those dudes that runs 50 yards and is already swearing a gallon of water (I know a guy like that).

This is just neglect, that gun doesn't have a drop of oil on it even in the rails. You have to take your carry gun out and strip it and clean the lint out and wipe it down and lubricate it once in a while, especially during the summer or when you're sweating a lot. I do it at least once a week. I know it's a Glock, but it still needs some maintenance. If you're trusting your life to the damn thing, take care of it. This internet reputation of Glocks and AK47s that can be never cleaned for thousands of rounds or buried in your back yard for months and still work fine is a total fallacy. Sweat is just as bad as salt water for corroding things, it can be acidic, it has salt in it, etc. No pistol, especially the springs and internal parts, will stand up to 30 days of being soaked with sweat and then being stored in a holster where it can never dry out, especially without any light coat of oil or anything to protect it.

Back
Top Bottom