• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock Slide Racker

I have a disability that has left me with limited dexterity and strength in my hands. After handling my new Glock today I definitely need some type of "charging handle" to help me rack the slide. I know these look clunky on a handgun but no matter what type of semi-automatic pistol I get I will need some assistive device to rack the slide. Does anyone here have any experience with the following slide rackers;

Brownell's Glock Slide Racker; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raV32yhl0-s

Hatfield Tactical Racker; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CAMlbLm6Xk
http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com/Tactical_Racker.html

Brass Stacker's Glock Charging Handle; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijTWePA4P9s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxItqx_Paks

Mako Glock Charging Handle; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFCdFMsA2uY
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mako-Grou...01&sr=1-1&keywords=mako+glock+charging+handle

ATI Tactical Charging Handle for Glocks; http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Tactical-...41&sr=1-2&keywords=mako+glock+charging+handle

Thanks and any comments are appreciated.

Are you going to carry the gun? If so base your choice on that. If not, then any that are well made and attach securely should work.

Those devices are designed for competition pistols with red dots on top which makes grasping the slide difficult.

If the gun is for defense, my fear is that they might snag at a difficult moment since they stick out so far.

How about racking the rear sight using your belt, holster or shoe?

I have NO experience with any of these but the Brass Stacker design seems to be the best design for repeated use. The other seems to be for emergency use and not for regular use--and they attach to the plastic insert on the back of the slide. I would think that eventually that insert would deform and pull out--it was never designed to be stressed like that repeatedly.

Also, what Glock do you own? I believe the full size 9 mm G17 would probably be the easiest to rack: long pull, moderate tension. The shorter the barrel the tighter the spring since there's less travel.

Last edited:
Soloman, I'm not sure if I am going to carry. I am new to the world of firearms. One of the members here suggested I read "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob and it just came in the mail today so I might end up carrying at some point. I'm just taking everything one step at a time.

I have NO experience with any of these but the Brass Stacker design seems to be the best design for repeated use. The other seems to be for emergency use and not for regular use--and they attach to the plastic insert on the back of the slide. I would think that eventually that insert would deform and pull out--it was never designed to be stressed like that repeatedly.

Also, what Glock do you own? I believe the full size 9 mm G22 would probably be the easiest to rack: long pull, moderate tension. The shorter the barrel the tighter the spring since there's less travel.

David, from what I can gather the Glock 22 is a .40 caliber handgun with a mag capacity of 15 rounds. I thought in MA a 10 round mag was the max? I am somewhat concerned that any new gun control legislation might limit magazine capacities to 10 rounds or less. That said, I have a 9mm Glock 26 anyway. To me just looking online, the Hatfield Tactical Racker looks subtle enough and may provide enough surface area for me to grab the slide and rack it. Like Z Bomb suggested I might just buy a couple of the devices and see which one works for me. I was hoping someone here had used or seen one of the assistive devices noted above and could give me some concrete guidance.

David, from what I can gather the Glock 22 is a .40 caliber handgun with a mag capacity of 15 rounds. I thought in MA a 10 round mag was the max? I am somewhat concerned that any new gun control legislation might limit magazine capacities to 10 rounds or less. That said, I have a 9mm Glock 26 anyway. To me just looking online, the Hatfield Tactical Racker looks subtle enough and may provide enough surface area for me to grab the slide and rack it. Like Z Bomb suggested I might just buy a couple of the devices and see which one works for me. I was hoping someone here had used or seen one of the assistive devices noted above and could give me some concrete guidance.

Yes you're right, the G22 is a .40 cal, I should have said G17 (I changed my post).

But my point is of all the three most popular 9 mm lugers the G26 is hardest to rack, G19 slightly easier, and G17 would be the easiest. So you might want to just try racking another pistol because the longer slides have weaker springs with longer travel distance by design. And if a longer pistol works, then just get that (maybe trade?) instead.

Also, technique is everything. I'm not sure those designs would help your grip all that much. some more food for thought:

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/

In MA the limit is 10 rounds for magazines manufactured post Sep '94 (I forget the exact day, 13th?). You can find pre-ban magazines > 10 rds easily (or well, could prior to the current madness). Buy G17 mags if you can, they will work in the smaller 9mm Glocks too.

Soloman, I'm not sure if I am going to carry. I am new to the world of firearms. One of the members here suggested I read "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob and it just came in the mail today so I might end up carrying at some point. I'm just taking everything one step at a time.

That book got me on the road to training. I didn't carry after I first got my LTC. Then I read that book and started taking lots of classes. Even Massad Ayoob's class. A few years later, I am much better for it. You got to start somewhere.

That was my first thought also.

If that is going to be your primary method for manipulating the slide you might want to think about using tall suppressor sights for getting some extra purchase.

In MA the limit is 10 rounds for magazines manufactured post Sep '94 (I forget the exact day, 13th?). You can find pre-ban magazines > 10 rds easily (or well, could prior to the current madness). Buy G17 mags if you can, they will work in the smaller 9mm Glocks too.

Ok thanks. Again one concern I have is that Obama might issue an Executive Order that may include banning large capacity magazines (over 10 rounds). This would supersede any MA law. I am going to wait until Obama acts.

Ok thanks. Again one concern I have is that Obama might issue an Executive Order that may include banning large capacity magazines (over 10 rounds). This would supersede any MA law. I am going to wait until Obama acts.

Only if you obey such an order, which would be unlawful regardless.

Before you try finding an attachment, try holding the slide in place and racking the gun. It sounds stupid dumb, but I know a few people who couldn't rack a slide who could do this.

Those devices are designed for competition pistols with red dots on top which makes grasping the slide difficult.

If the gun is for defense, my fear is that they might snag at a difficult moment since they stick out so far.

Add try these sights......DAWSON

You should also consider that the G26 was not the correct choice for a first gun and maybe a G19 or other would have suited you better.

Sometimes in person training with experienced people can help you overcome the hand problem rather than Youtube. Just things to consider.

Before you try finding an attachment, try holding the slide in place and racking the gun. It sounds stupid dumb, but I know a few people who couldn't rack a slide who could do this.

This: I instruct students to hold the slide with their weak hand and with their strong hand push the pistol forward to rack it.

This: I instruct students to hold the slide with their weak hand and with their strong hand push the pistol forward to rack it.

I don't know if I still do it, but when I first got in to guns and hadn't developed the dexterity yet, I would push the gun forward with my strong hand while pulling the slide back with my weak hand. The two combined made it easier.

This. They taugh us this during our basic training course. We had a couple of "delicate" looking young men who could not rack the slide the normal way.

Add try these sights......DAWSON

You should also consider that the G26 was not the correct choice for a first gun and maybe a G19 or other would have suited you better.

Sometimes in person training with experienced people can help you overcome the hand problem rather than Youtube. Just things to consider.

TY43215, Why do you think a Glock 26 was not the correct choice for a first gun and I would have been better off with a Glock 19? I had some difficulty racking all semiautomatic pistols, Glock, Sig Sauer, S & W. Revolvers felt too top heavy for me. Also, the 19 has a mag capacity of 15 rounds (illegal in MA unless you can get the pre-ban mags). I feel confident that with a little tweaking and a lot of practice I will be able to manage the Glock 26. If not I can sell it, and keep trying different modifications and different pistols. No matter what pistol I get it will need some modification and I am going to SUCK at shooting it for a while, lol.

TY43215, Why do you think a Glock 26 was not the correct choice for a first gun and I would have been better off with a Glock 19? I had some difficulty racking all semiautomatic pistols, Glock, Sig Sauer, S & W. Revolvers felt too top heavy for me. Also, the 19 has a mag capacity of 15 rounds (illegal in MA unless you can get the pre-ban mags). I feel confident that with a little tweaking and a lot of practice I will be able to manage the Glock 26. If not I can sell it, and keep trying different modifications and different pistols. No matter what pistol I get it will need some modification and I am going to SUCK at shooting it for a while, lol.

Cosmo:

You can get 10 round magazines for any Glock, including the Glock 19: http://www.brownells.com/magazines/...nes-for-glock-prod23056.aspx?avs|Make_3=Glock

The Glock 19 has a larger grip and longer slide, making it easier to grip than a Glock 26.

Back
Top Bottom