Glock Sights

I just bought a G30 and would like to change the sights from the stock sights. With all these companies claiming to be the brightest yada yada yada. What is anyone's 2c? Which is actually the brightest IYHO?
Anyone have any experience with the XS Sights? It looks like a good idea in theory.

I have a green HiViz on my LCR, it's pretty bright and I'd buy another from them.

It is brighter than the factory red fiber sight on my Mossberg 930 SPX. On that gun, the rear sight is made by LPA, so I'm assuming the front is from them as well.

I don't have anything else to directly compare the HiViz to, but Dawson does get recommended a lot, too. I plan to try one on my M&P in the near future.

Last edited:
I really like Trijicons and have them on many of my pistols in large part because I find them easier to make out in daylight. I also prefer their profile. Meprolights appear to be of equal brightness to the Trijicons all things being equal (i.e. age of lamps).

I just put a little dab of phosphorous paint on the the white "detents" of the stock sights. I'm GTG. In a night fight you won't be looking at your sights you'll be trying to find your target. Then it's going to be point and shoot. There won't be aiming. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
I just put a little dab of phosphorous paint on the the white "detents" of the stock sights. I'm GTG. In a night fight you won't be looking at your sights you'll be trying to find your target. Then it's going to be point and shoot. There won't be aiming. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

How do you know?

about 25 years ago a person broke into my home late at night, a gun fight ensued in a dark hallway. I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me. He fired first I fired at his muzzle flash. There was no aiming involved just pointing and shooting. He missed, I didn't. He fled. The popo found him two blocks from the house collapsed on the street. He survived and did some jail time.

Truglo TFO are certainly the brightest. They are a little goofy looking though. The norm lately seem to be a 10-8 black rear notch with a fiber optic front. Makes for easy target acquisition.

Truglo TFO are certainly the brightest. They are a little goofy looking though. The norm lately seem to be a 10-8 black rear notch with a fiber optic front. Makes for easy target acquisition.

Do you have any pictures of that setup? Sounds interesting. I have a SIG P239 that is going to need a change out pretty soon. The night sights are dying on it and the wife likes them.

I've seen a number of different sights for Glocks

Personally, I think the fiber optic sights are the easiest to use but the least reliable/flimsy as hell. I had Truglo fiber optics and I couldn't miss with those things, the giant green dots even during a bright day, where so easy to use. However, the front sight filament fell out of them. They repaired it free, and it happened again. I got a refund. I was shooting during hot days and thats how it came loose, so I won't trust my life to them.

I prefer the three dot system. Trijicon makes very high quality night sights using the three dot system and the front dot is very easy to use (big). They're expensive. I use the Metropolitan 3 dots that are identicle to the trijicons and work just as well, the only difference is the front dot isn't as big and it's pretty much the same as the rear dots. They're cheaper.

My brother uses a one dot night sight, the front dot only glows and the rear has no dots. It takes getting used to and in my opinion it isn't anywhere as good as 3 dots/standard sights for fast target aquisition

I also swore by 3 dot systems, till I bought a gun that had a black rear notch and a front night sight. I found it a lot faster, and easier. Your eyes/brain only have to focus on front site on target, instead of dot between 2 dots on target.
Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people share it. Look at any of the pictures that lou from BEC posts.

about 25 years ago a person broke into my home late at night, a gun fight ensued in a dark hallway. I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me. He fired first I fired at his muzzle flash. There was no aiming involved just pointing and shooting. He missed, I didn't. He fled. The popo found him two blocks from the house collapsed on the street. He survived and did some jail time.

I personally don't think a mag dump into a dark hallway is a particularly strong argument against night sights.

YMMV. (And clearly it has).

Congrats on surviving the gunfight, though.

If you want night sights put Meps or Trijicons on it and be done with it.

Otherwise I would recommend Warren/Sevignys or 10-8s. I've handled guns with both and I have plans to eventually convert almost all of my Glocks over to one of these two brands. (Need the cash first, then I'll make a decision).

Fiberoptics on carry guns is kinda pointless, too easy to damage and often times the front blade will drag on things, many of them have sharp edges which could get hung up on clothing on the draw, etc.

Stay away from the XS Big Dot, unless you've used one before and liked it. Those sights are pure failbus for 90% of the people that try them. The front sight is the size of a trash can lid at 25 yards. (I'm exaggerating a bit, but if you wanted to hit stuff at longer distance with it, forget it... it'll cover the target and then some. )

-Mike

Stay away from the XS Big Dot, unless you've used one before and liked it. Those sights are pure failbus for 90% of the people that try them. The front sight is the size of a trash can lid at 25 yards. (I'm exaggerating a bit, but if you wanted to hit stuff at longer distance with it, forget it... it'll cover the target and then some. )

-Mike

I have XS Big Dots on my M&P9c, Tru-Glo on my M&P9 and Trijicon Night Sights on my Glock 23. I happen to like the XS Big Dot the best though they do take some getting used to.

I decided I want to go with a black rear and fiber optic front. Since this will be my carry gun and I have read fiber optics are so fragile can anyone know suggest one that is fit for a CCW.

I decided I want to go with a black rear and fiber optic front. Since this will be my carry gun and I have read fiber optics are so fragile can anyone know suggest one that is fit for a CCW.

I would get a tritium front. I have seen several times at matches where the FO broke off or fell out.

I will ditto what drgrant said about XS big dot sights. They are not faster at close range if you know what you are doing, and they suck something awful at long range.

Last edited:
Good practical info here. I am currently running a warren tac rear with a trijicon front. I was planning on changing the front to a FO, but reading what I see here, maybe I'll keep it the way it is.

Any experience with the brass bead front?

My brother uses a one dot night sight, the front dot only glows and the rear has no dots. It takes getting used to and in my opinion it isn't anywhere as good as 3 dots/standard sights for fast target aquisition

I disagree. For IDPA, I use all black. For carry, I use front tritium dot, rear black. Your eye needs to focus on the front sight. Anything on the rear sight draws my eye to the rear sight, which is not where I want to be focusing.

Any experience with the brass bead front?

I have a gold bead on my S&W Model 19. I don't like it. It is actually too bright in some light conditions. When the sun is to my rear, the sight is so bright that I can't see the rear sight at all -- the front sight just blinds me.

Stay away from the XS Big Dot, unless you've used one before and liked it. Those sights are pure failbus for 90% of the people that try them. The front sight is the size of a trash can lid at 25 yards.

Yup, I hate it.

Last edited:
I personally don't think a mag dump into a dark hallway is a particularly strong argument against night sights.

YMMV. (And clearly it has).

Congrats on surviving the gunfight, though.

There was no mag dump. Two shots were fired. He fired one and I fired one. He fired first and I fired at his muzzle flash because that was the only way I could identify his position. After that night I made damn sure anything coming down that hallway was back lit. That way I would at least have a silhouette.

I had a huge advantage. I never actually entered the hallway. I was kneeling in the door frame with my torso in the bedroom and was firing with my dominate hand. When I said "Get out of my home". I directed my voice to the back wall in the hallway and at the ceiling. So he heard my voice at a place where I wasn't. That's when he fired and in doing that, told me exactly where he was. I returned immediate fire based on where and angle of muzzle flash. I guessed good, he didn't.

There was no mag dump. Two shots were fired. He fired one and I fired one. He fired first and I fired at his muzzle flash because that was the only way I could identify his position. After that night I made damn sure anything coming down that hallway was back lit. That way I would at least have a silhouette.

I had a huge advantage. I never actually entered the hallway. I was kneeling in the door frame with my torso in the bedroom and was firing with my dominate hand. When I said "Get out of my home". I directed my voice to the back wall in the hallway and at the ceiling. So he heard my voice at a place where I wasn't. That's when he fired and in doing that, told me exactly where he was. I returned immediate fire based on where and angle of muzzle flash. I guessed good, he didn't.

Speaking of having brass sights, it sounds like brass balls here.

Do you have any pictures of that setup? Sounds interesting. I have a SIG P239 that is going to need a change out pretty soon. The night sights are dying on it and the wife likes them.

Glock 19 with a warren sevigny rear, and a trijicon front.

6CFA7BC5-B635-45E8-B849-50C77820E573-11111-000011C22CCC32A5.jpg

25DEE5F0-5097-412C-8EAF-72D5F4E6EDEF-11111-000011C220C5CBEB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom