Glock questions

Sorry if these questions are common knowledge but I'm not really sure. Did some searching without much luck.

I've wanted a G26 for probably 7 or 8 years now & have no clue why I haven't picked one up.
I love my J frame Smith but After watching the videos of gang or dare I say protestor hoards converging on people it's time for something new with higher capacity and quicker reloading.

I have several Gen 2 & 3 Glocks. I know them inside out & consider myself a guru.
Being from Mass I haven't seen too many Gen4's. I know there's a few differences. The main one being the double recoil spring. However the 26 came with one originally so is there any reason I'd want a Gen 4?
i'm thinking no. I'm fine with the non interchangeable backstrap & I don't really care for the new stipple pattern.

Next:
Have the OD green frames been discontinued? YES

I think I remember hearing or reading the OD green frames weren't Ma. compliant. True or not?

If so & I was to get into some altercation could I have the book thrown at me for a non compliant handgun?

Finally: I have no decision set in stone but I like the idea of having something different for a change. Also I think it might blend nicely into the typical color of clothing I wear on a daily basis. Am I gay for entertaining the idea of owning a green frame Glock? Go ahead flame away. Just trying to get a feal & looking for a few opinions.. [laugh]

ETA: Forget about the OD green models. They have infact been discontinued. I'd have to buy a used one if I really wanted. Probably pass.

----That just leaves one question. Can anyone make an agurment why gen 4 would be better than a 3? Do the people that have gen 4's buy them for any other reason than just being new? As far as I know Glock still makes 3rd gen models and have not phased them out or have plans to as of now.

Last edited:
Buy a G26 and get it cerekoted OD green. Don't pay the premium for colored plastic.

Own whatever you want for a pistol. Nobody cares. COMPLIANCY IS ONLY FOR DEALERS FOR THE 1.2GAZILLION TIME!

And carry a non-compliant gun? see 1 line up.

Any chatter about extra trouble with the cops over a trigger job, color of your gun or cutting crosses into your silver bullets is internet garbage. Rumors that have become forum fact and half-truths. Basically not one incident can be cited that any of those things actually resulted in any legal action.

Buy a G26 and get it cerekoted OD green. Don't pay the premium for colored plastic.

Own whatever you want for a pistol. Nobody cares. COMPLIANCY IS ONLY FOR DEALERS FOR THE 1.2GAZILLION TIME!

OK OK.
I figured that. Just wanted to be sure. Can't be too carefull in this state. Sorry to make someone post it 1.20000000000001 gazillion times.

If they still made OD green frames wouldn't it be cheaper to just get one rather than have someone coat it? I actually heard they were cheaper because the demand wasn't as great. Not sure if it's true or not. Like you said Internet fodder can be misleading.

Last edited:
Example. G26 for sale in OD Green for $900 on NES, G26 not in OD green on NES $600 About a year ago.

For under $100 your frame can be done in any color or shade you want. Its cheaper.
And you can even go cheaper on the gun because you can get a frame that might not have a great surface finish on it cheaper than one that looks new. Once coated it will look like a new gun.

There is a G26 for sale at B&K in Natick. I handled it a bit while we were doing a transfer. If I was going to buy it ( I am not), I would refinish the slide, take it all apart to clean/inspect every single part and remove the lint it had. I believe the tag said $695.

i have held both side by side the gen 3 and 4 26's, the texture of the 4th gen is not fun on bare skin, fyi. unless you like sandpaper. the larger mag release is great and i wish i could have it in my gen 3's :). the adjustable grip size is a nice feature, but when i used it without any grip additions, it felt like it was too small, like Holding onto the letter T , small grip and the weight distribution was off , it felt less controllable than the 3rd gen. which had a larger grip standard . also the one thing i didn't like as a personal cosmetic standpoint was the newer glocks come with a grey finish , instead of the older slick black which i personally like and feel it stands up to wear better

There have been some quality control issues with the gen 4s (not so much with the G26, but with some other models). IMHO I do not see any reason to pay big bucks for a 4th gen G26.

There have been some quality control issues with the gen 4s (not so much with the G26, but with some other models). IMHO I do not see any reason to pay big bucks for a 4th gen G26.
Most of the issues with the Gen4s have been with the dual recoil spring, but the G26 always had a dual recoil spring and reliability was never a problem with the G26.

I know crazy isn't it? [shocked]

Never in a Gazillion years would I pay that for any Glock....

It may be crazy, but those are the costs that people who don't know any better pay. Theres no other way to put it.

I bought my new, only fired in factory OD Green Glock 27 for about $530 in Massachusetts and it was not a private transaction.

You're typically paying out the ass for Glocks in MA to begin with. I've had zero issues with my Gen4 G19, and I love the feel of the grip without any inserts. I've had the pleasure of shooting a Gen4 26 as well and feel the same way about the smaller grip. I also haven't minded the grip texture against my skin, but YMMV.

As far as compliance is concerned, as MACGYVR mentioned it's been beaten to death..............so if you can find a dealer willing to transfer one...........................[wink] There's virtually no reason to pay MA prices.

ETA: Just saw Dench's post. I bought my Factory new Gen4 for about $535 in a similar transaction.

ETA: Just saw Dench's post. I bought my Factory new Gen4 for about $535 in a similar transaction.

This will sound harsh, but if people spent as much time looking for that FFL as they did about bitching about MA AG regs and pistol lists, we'd see a lot less of these types of posts. (not directed directly at OP)

I got my LTC in 2008. I was already on the path to free state glock prices months after.

Most of the issues with the Gen4s have been with the dual recoil spring, but the G26 always had a dual recoil spring and reliability was never a problem with the G26.

There are reports that glock started using a new manufacturing process for the extractors for all gen 4 models and that this has caused problems (although obviously not as significant as the recoil spring issues with the subcompacts which resulted in a recall.). Of course, you can always just replace the extractor.

I don't have a big problem with the gen 4s, I just would not go out my way to pay $900 for one in MA :)

There are reports that glock started using a new manufacturing process for the extractors for all gen 4 models and that this has caused problems (although obviously not as significant as the recoil spring issues with the subcompacts which resulted in a recall.). Of course, you can always just replace the extractor.

I don't have a big problem with the gen 4s, I just would not go out my way to pay $900 for one in MA :)

ETA: just saw Dench's post, wish I knew an FFL like that :(

thanks guys & girls. Those are some of the answers I was looking for. I think I'll stick with the tryed & trusted gen3.
Just the appearnce of the 4's alone was a cause for concern. I realize the Glock is a terribly plain looking pistol to begin with but after seeing some of the 4th gens I was a bit turned off. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any major technical changes or advantages with the 4's I was unaware of. They kind of look like those cheezy Walther/smith 99's. I'll stick with the third gen.

I also tried out the 4th gen. At first i loved it , but then ended up going back to the 3rd gen, its tried and true, and for me personally, i like the older black finish vs the new matte grey, plus the 3rd gen texture is better for iwb carry , less sandpaper like

I bought a gen4 G26 yesterday, and I took it to the range today. Although I only shot 50 rounds, but I didn't have any issues with it. I added a grip extension and I was able to put at least 90% of the shots in the "down 0" ring in an IDPA target so I was pleased with that. I ordered a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit holster for it, but unfortunately it will take 6-8 weeks to get it... It looks very nice, and I look forward to getting it.
http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

I will probably order 1-2 Galco mag pouches to go with it.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=1352&GunID=50

I have an od g26, LOVE IT! still looking for the odg19 big brother.

in terms of gen4 glocks, i wouldn't classify it as quality control issues. quality was not the issue as far as i know. the issues they had initially have been rectified.

Back
Top Bottom