• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock Preban Magazines

High caliber markings, one magazine cutout...

• Preban, rock on!

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Postban/too risky, stay away!

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
Is the state really going to recognize the distinction between a steel AK magazine made in Eastern Europe in the 80s versus an otherwise indistinguishable one made last year in Korea or are they going to just charge you with having a scary large capacity magazine?
Good question

My personal outlook on this is/was:

If you’re in the situation where someone who matters* is asking when your magazines were made, chances are you’re screwed anyway.

I don’t know if I ever owned a single pre-ban pistol magazine. My last few years in the state, I carried an XDm. No possibility of pre-ban mags there.

YMMV; IANAL.
*i.e. the police, not some Fudd at the range.

I'm starting to think that the whole pre-ban vs. post ban issue with magazines is a moot point in situations where pre-bans exist. Obviously if no pre-ban magazines exist for a gun then it's easy to prove they are post ban. In a situation where the gun and magazines existed pre-ban, I seriously doubt that you would get questioned at the range and I also doubt that having a pre-ban would help you much if you were charged for something else. Is the state really going to recognize the distinction between a steel AK magazine made in Eastern Europe in the 80s versus an otherwise indistinguishable one made last year in Korea or are they going to just charge you with having a scary large capacity magazine?

One could assume several outcomes.

1. You never have a problem with the law, justified or unjustified. So you go about your merry way with your legal magazines.

2. You have an issue, but it is unclear whether the magazines are preban or not. The po-po pats you on your head and you go on your merry way. (There are guys out there that ONLY use/own date-coded AR mags. Egads!)

3. You have an issue, and it is unclear whether the mag is preban or not. "Prove it's preban, JenkkiMike!" Now you need your receipt or something proving your old EG mag isn't a Korean one. Gootluck!

Now I believe (and this is MY belief - believe what you want and act accordingly) that if #3 happens, the DA is just trying to jam you up. If it's not a questionable magazine it's going to be caaahhhpkilluz bullets or illegal lube or something. So you're gonna be screwed in that instance no matter what. So I don't worry about non-date-coded AK or AR mags in my possession. In fact, I don't think I own an AK or AR mag that I didn't buy during the Federal ban. But how the hell am I going to prove that I bought said mags 18-20 years ago? I might have a TAPCO receipt or two. That's it. Maybe. About the only thing I think I'm safe on are my Circle-10's. I think.

One could assume several outcomes.

1. You never have a problem with the law, justified or unjustified. So you go about your merry way with your legal magazines.

2. You have an issue, but it is unclear whether the magazines are preban or not. The po-po pats you on your head and you go on your merry way. (There are guys out there that ONLY use/own date-coded AR mags. Egads!)

3. You have an issue, and it is unclear whether the mag is preban or not. "Prove it's preban, JenkkiMike!" Now you need your receipt or something proving your old EG mag isn't a Korean one. Gootluck!

Now I believe (and this is MY belief - believe what you want and act accordingly) that if #3 happens, the DA is just trying to jam you up. If it's not a questionable magazine it's going to be caaahhhpkilluz bullets or illegal lube or something. So you're gonna be screwed in that instance no matter what. So I don't worry about non-date-coded AK or AR mags in my possession. In fact, I don't think I own an AK or AR mag that I didn't buy during the Federal ban. But how the hell am I going to prove that I bought said mags 18-20 years ago? I might have a TAPCO receipt or two. That's it. Maybe. About the only thing I think I'm safe on are my Circle-10's. I think.
Swing very low on the radar and stay out of trouble. Spend your time on the range at less frequented times and don’t worry a bit.

I'm talking about a traffic stop or an actual necessary use-of-force situation. Not the foreseen, but the unforeseen.

I'm talking about a traffic stop or an actual necessary use-of-force situation. Not the foreseen, but the unforeseen.
Swing very low on the radar and stay out of trouble. Spend your time on the range at less frequented times and don’t worry a bit.
Another scenario is if you get into a significant car accident to/from the range and need to go to the hospital and they tow your damaged car with guns/mags in the trunk?....

At this point in my life I really don’t even know which of my mags are pre or post ban. I have been buying magazines for over 40 years and never kept any receipts. Yeah, I know the old Colt GI mags I have are pre-ban but all my other mags not so much.

I really have to agree with the take that if someone of authority is questioning the vintage of your mags, then you are probably getting jammed up for something else also beyond your questionable mags.

I prefer post-ban large cap glock magazines here in Massachusetts. They just feel better...

You can bet your ass they will take a look at your magazines.

Plenty of time to swap out your mags for 10-rounders before the cops get there. Just remember it took New Zealand cops 36 minutes to respond. You got time to make a sandwich...

I honestly don't know. I was consulted but did not hear any more info. Afaik he was a constable.
I think that I remember something about that. Per MGL Constables have arrest powers, which by definition makes them LEOs . . . however only maybe a handful of chiefs will agree that Constables have law enforcement powers in spite of MGL. Sadly many Constables make jerks of themselves such that LE has very little respect for them and the profession.

Duly noted. Got pulled over the other day for slightly speeding which was a nice county road. If that cop had me open the trunk......

I was an angel to him
He can NOT legally require you to open the trunk on a routine speeding stop. Most people think that they can so when they are ASKED, they agree and frequently talk themselves into handcuffs!! Politely refusing is all you need to do, period!

You can bet your ass they will take a look at your magazines.
Absolutely!!

Plenty of time to swap out your mags for 10-rounders before the cops get there. Just remember it took New Zealand cops 36 minutes to respond. You got time to make a sandwich...
The copsh are going to test your mags for recent gun powder residue from a gun involved in a shooting.

They would lol if they saw a brand new shiny 10 rounder after you just blew away a gang of thugs breaking in.

Then they would rip your house apart to find the offending mag.

Besides OP, you've got a better chance of dying of cancer than getting busted for "a few extra rounds in that stupid magazine I bought at the Shriner's Gun show..."

Who cleans Glock magazines?
I don't but I have brand new 10 rounders around.

I would not need to swipe out my mags because I have pre bans.

But, somebody with a post ban mag may be inclined to swap it for a 10 rounder - if he had one around.

I would not need to swipe out my mags because I have pre bans.

You know, if involved in a shooting... they'll keep those. Right?
Always have a "throw-down 10-rounder..."

iu

Jeffrey Lovell, Chicopee MA, last year.
plenty ya'll act like it's a fairy tail then n1 in MA ever fired a firearm in self defense and was let off .

What?

Let me try to clarify for ya pardner. It seems as though your more apt to get charged with something when a firearm is involved ( for non-leo ) than set free . Magazine capacity is a hot topic in news stories.

Lets say a couple years back when a guy stormed a house and killed a woman, then paid Bertuccis a visit and killed another person. The bad guy was shot by an off duty sherriff. If in this case the perp was shot by a 22yr old waiter at the restaurant instead of the off duty leo . Now, said waiter was working and just happened to be toting a gen 2 19 with a 15 rounder in it with no markings as to it's manufacture date. Would the guy get off as in the case with the leo that shot him or would the waiter get charged with murder and mag cap ?

A few years back I took a handgun class in Arizona and I was the one with 10rnd mags. After the first day a fellow class member and gun collector stated that he had a couple new in box Glock 19's that were pre-ban. I went to his home and he sold me 3 u-notch and 3 square notch. The 3 square notch came from a glock 19 with a date of Sept 1994 and they look like #7 with the high markings and 1 mag release cut out. The small Tupperware type mfg box was sealed and still had the original grease. If the u-notch were reliable they would be fine but even the new ones I bought had problems and caused jams.

Alright, I'll also threadjack this thread on a related note:

If I have a pre-ban beretta 92 mag, and it gets broken, but I take my dremel, my 14lb hammer, tig welder, and angle grinder, and "repair" the feed lips, but do such a shit job at it that it really can't even fits in my 92fs, but - oops! - it happens to fit and work perfectly my Sig 320p x5?

So, do I have a pre-ban magazine that happens to fit in my sig? Or a newly manufactured magazine?

It's on my list of things to see whether I can do or not.

-J

Reptile.. here is a diaper and a glock 43x, i will take your prebans because you can't be trusted with them. You are going far off even for those tinfoil hat wearing peeps.

Jrpa, i do the same or try to with FAL mags and trying to mod them for my scar 17. I wish FN sold mag followers but alas nopers.

What?

Let me try to clarify for ya pardner. It seems as though your more apt to get charged with something when a firearm is involved ( for non-leo ) than set free . Magazine capacity is a hot topic in news stories.

Lets say a couple years back when a guy stormed a house and killed a woman, then paid Bertuccis a visit and killed another person. The bad guy was shot by an off duty sherriff. If in this case the perp was shot by a 22yr old waiter at the restaurant instead of the off duty leo . Now, said waiter was working and just happened to be toting a gen 2 19 with a 15 rounder in it with no markings as to it's manufacture date. Would the guy get off as in the case with the leo that shot him or would the waiter get charged with murder and mag cap ?

That's not what I am talking about . Regardless of retardness of MA law 15 rounder post ban is illegal but he made it sound like ANY "not even magazine related " and all self defense shootings are a automatic get in jail card in MA which is just plain false

Back
Top Bottom