Glock Preban Magazines

High caliber markings, one magazine cutout...

• Preban, rock on!

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Postban/too risky, stay away!

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
Came across this conundrum recently:

What do you all think of the Glock magazines that have high caliber markings but only one magazine notch? Preban? Postban? You don’t know?

Referring to the magazine second from the right, number 7 in the picture.

Also, why?

Go!

Attachments

• D22813DF-7086-4C8B-9E3F-119456056048.jpeg
    D22813DF-7086-4C8B-9E3F-119456056048.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 309
You want #4.
I’m very comfortable with number 4. I have seen around here a time or two some people who believe 7 is good to go, and others who say no way. Just hoping to consolidate some of that information here to make clearer what I might want to look for.

Say you're involved in a home defense shooting situation etc.. do we REALLY think they're going to examine the magazines? Unless you're in the wrong I just don't see it.

The ones with two magazine catches were released with the gen 4 which was obviously post ban also.

What if I took a CNC machine and milled in a 2nd mag catch, is my mag suddenly post-ban because of that?

See how stupid, quickly, this question gets? [rofl]

If you are this concerned about this garbage I would highly advise not carrying anything over 10 rounds because it's probably going to make you fail to sleep at night or something.

Fun Turd in punchbowl:
I've seen u notch 33rnd mags with LE markings on them. Yes, not kidding. Supposedly that's not supposed to even exist.....

I’m very comfortable with number 4. I have seen around here a time or two some people who believe 7 is good to go, and others who say no way. Just hoping to consolidate some of that information here to make clearer what I might want to look for.
Well, if you are crazy enough to carry #7 - don't be crazy enough to pay more that $25 per mag!!!

Say you're involved in a home defense shooting situation etc.. do we REALLY think they're going to examine the magazines? Unless you're in the wrong I just don't see it.

In Mass where the vast majority where the members on this site live? Absolutely they will! The criminal is always the victim.

What if I took a CNC machine and milled in a 2nd mag catch, is my mag suddenly post-ban because of that?

See how stupid, quickly, this question gets? [rofl]

If you are this concerned about this garbage I would highly advise not carrying anything over 10 rounds because it's probably going to make you fail to sleep at night or something.

Fun Turd in punchbowl:
I've seen u notch 33rnd mags with LE markings on them. Yes, not kidding. Supposedly that's not supposed to even exist.....
I appreciate your wit and wisdom.

Obviously the date of manufacture doesn’t change.

Would you personally be comfortable owning and using one of the magazines in question?

As for my preban magazines, I carry what I reasonably believe is preban. I’m not losing any sleep over the magazines in question.

I have also seen The photos of the LEO/Gov U notch 33 rounders, on this site in fact.

There is a thread (sticky I think) on Glock mags. There is also expert info in that thread and I'm pretty sure that I cross posted it in my sub-forum. But feel free to believe the pictures on the web, most people do . . . vs. a real expert (and I'm not talking about me) who published info on this.

I appreciate your wit and wisdom.

Obviously the date of manufacture doesn’t change.

Would you personally be comfortable owning and using one of the magazines in question?

As for my preban magazines, I carry what I reasonably believe is preban. I’m not losing any sleep over the magazines in question.

I have also seen The photos of the LEO/Gov U notch 33 rounders, on this site in fact.

Problem is theres more than one version of #7. The ones I have and carry are similar but have no cuts on them. The ones considered universally safe by pant wetters are #4. The other problem is what I am comfortable with is likely different from others here.... that's kind of what Kalash was driving at. Risk assessments are best done by the person absorbing the risk... or their lawyer... [laugh]

There is a thread (sticky I think) on Glock mags. There is also expert info in that thread and I'm pretty sure that I cross posted it in my sub-forum. But feel free to believe the pictures on the web, most people do . . . vs. a real expert (and I'm not talking about me) who published info on this.
I’ve looked through that thread but cannot find it for reference. Can you link it?

Never mind, found.

It's all he-said she-said. Glock won't testify regarding mag generations and build dates so we're left guessing. Mags marked "LEO/gov only" and 4th gen mags with ambi release notches are easy to argue as post-ban; everything else is gray. I've been asking for evidence regarding high and low markings for years and no one can provide any. As far as I can tell my magsare pre-ban but I don't lose any sleep obsessing over it.

It's all he-said she-said. Glock won't testify regarding mag generations and build dates so we're left guessing. Mags marked "LEO/gov only" and 4th gen mags with ambi release notches are easy to argue as post-ban; everything else is gray. I've been asking for evidence regarding high and low markings for years and no one can provide any. As far as I can tell my magsare pre-ban but I don't lose any sleep obsessing over it.
I don't think it is all grey.

If a mag has low caliber markings, it was made before the ban. End of story.
The reason is because during the ban, LEO/Gov only markings were placed on the mag and the caliber makings were raised higher.

Low markings also indicate the 2 silver mystery dots and a square notch.

If you have those features you are all set.

Of course U notch are pre ban - unless you obtain a one in a million 33 rounder with LEO/Gov only markings.

A. Nobody can say that a 7 mag is pre or post ban because it is a fact that some were made preban.
B. Glock will never say what mags are pre or post ban.
C. I am aware of at least one person who a cop was pissed at for no reason other than "respect my authority" who had a classic pre ban magazine and was charged with large capacity violations as a stand alone crime.

Care to elaborate? Why?

I noticed it from picture comparisons, and found sufficient evidence of it while on a road trip on the way back from SC last year: I stopped at about a dozen pawn shops and other dealers in used accessories, looking for cheaper prebans that can be had in those states not operating under a deranged tyranny.

Of the things I could strongly verify that really were pre-ban (i.e. had guns with them, or in two cases were specifically affirmed so by the shopkeep who had no particular reason to fabricate, since they weren't being sold at a premium compared to the mags next to them. My protocol was to mention exactly what I was looking for later in the conversation rather than earlier. Interestingly, one guy had a epiphany and went out back and found some that were stashed away when I said I couldn't take the ones he showed me initially, and told him why. Didn't charge me extra either.). This is the thing I've found to be fairly consistent: smaller holes, or (especially in the case of glock 19 mags) particularly jacked up witness hole alignment seemed to be the common factor in the pre-ban square notches I ran across.

Ones with the LEO markings seemed to be kind of a transition, and definitely post ban, after the LEO markings, seemed to be slightly bigger holes in the polymer and the stamped hole in the metal aligned noticeably more consistently.

Obviously, I am not amongst the tyrannocrats, who if they had their way would force everyone to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they were pre-ban and otherwise preemptively send someone to jail just to be safe.

A. Nobody can say that a 7 mag is pre or post ban because it is a fact that some were made preban.
B. Glock will never say what mags are pre or post ban.
C. I am aware of at least one person who a cop was pissed at for no reason other than "respect my authority" who had a classic pre ban magazine and was charged with large capacity violations as a stand alone crime.

Okay, don't leave us hanging. Did the large capacity charges stick?

I'm starting to think that the whole pre-ban vs. post ban issue with magazines is a moot point in situations where pre-bans exist. Obviously if no pre-ban magazines exist for a gun then it's easy to prove they are post ban. In a situation where the gun and magazines existed pre-ban, I seriously doubt that you would get questioned at the range and I also doubt that having a pre-ban would help you much if you were charged for something else. Is the state really going to recognize the distinction between a steel AK magazine made in Eastern Europe in the 80s versus an otherwise indistinguishable one made last year in Korea or are they going to just charge you with having a scary large capacity magazine?

Back
Top Bottom