Glock Pre Ban Mag$

The molds for the mags have been permanently changed.

There are also many other changes in the polymer and metal in the newer mags.

There will never be more pre ban looking mags.

The guys and gals with pre bans - especially in new condition - own gold.

The laws will never change in Mass either.

The legislature won’t change the laws in Massachusetts regarding mags but the courts will. The California mag ban lost at the district court and circuit court of appeals level then was saved by an en banc panel which was then GVR’d by SCOTUS and its back with the district court which struck it down pre NYSRPA vs bruen.

Mag bans are going to be found unconstitutional and tossed, they will fall in Massachusetts too.

I paid $190.00.

Just trying to make a buck.

$110 for FML mags was 15 years ago.
Not if you know where to look. I scored 16 pre-bans back about 7 years ago for a G19 (8 U-notch and 8 square notch both batches had some with Glock +2 base plates) for a little over $25 each. I actually sold a couple of square notch to a member here who was also on GT and saw what I got. I sold them to him for I believe $30 each just to help cover the cost of the MO I had to purchase. Granted I don't think you can find them that cheap but they can still be had around that $110 in certain places but they won't last long.

I paid $190.00.

Just trying to make a buck.

$110 for FML mags was 15 years ago.

lol nobody flipping pays that much, not anywhere close - it's not even worth the transactional costs at that point.

If you actually paid that, thats pretty unfortunate. Shit I got G21 FML/DF mid marks for like 30 bucks less than 10 yrs ago.

Keep in mind you are talking about objects that are basically gutter trash in most of the US

If you actually paid that I would be shocked if the source paid more than 30-50 bucks for them. Maybe less even. Most of them come from police turn ins and that kind of
thing.

Why are the square botch more expensive than the U if they are both pre-ban?

Round capacity?
Quality?
U notches are trash that break and fall apart. And they (generally) don't drop free.

They don't want to get dragged into a court case when the caliber marking height is measured too high.
I can only imagine some autist meeting reptile to buy mags and breaking out calipers to measure the precise placement of the caliber markings.

I'm still laughing that people have fooled themselves into believing that caliber markings even matter in the first place!

The U notches are legit garbage though by comparison.

Ya, they're not great but I dunno, for a mag that is just going to sit in most people's EDC untouched unless they're occasionally test firing their carry ammo, does it really matter?

With all old "pre ban" glock mags, I always at least replace the springs and have never had a single issue with a U notch feeding rounds. Some of the later ones don't swell when loaded too and even drop free (seem somewhat metal lined?). I would never use them in volume at the range though, too annoying/fragile.

But for someone who wants to carry those extra 5-7 rounds with some kind of legal argument without spending $200+ on the FML ones, I think grabbing one is an ok option.

Ya, they're not great but I dunno, for a mag that is just going to sit in most people's EDC untouched unless they're occasionally test firing their carry ammo, does it really matter?

With all old "pre ban" glock mags, I always at least replace the springs and have never had a single issue with a U notch feeding rounds. Some of the later ones don't swell when loaded too and even drop free (seem somewhat metal lined?). I would never use them in volume at the range though, too annoying/fragile.

But for someone who wants to carry those extra 5-7 rounds with some kind of legal argument without spending $200+ on the FML ones, I think grabbing one is an ok option.
I would never recommend an old U notch for EDC personally. You said it yourself, too annoying and fragile and that's a great description of U notch magazines.

The U notches are legit garbage though by comparison.

There are 2 versions of U-notch. The originals were terrible. They didn't drop free. But they were reliable. (What we consider "garbage" isn't really - how often are we doing a dynamic mag-change in the middle of a gunfight? Hell, at the range, I rarely load more than 5 rounds. Any more and I'll just start spraying and praying anyhow.)

The upgraded U-notch - I have. . . . 5-8 of them for G19. Every single one drops free both filled and unfilled. I haven't had a malf with any of them, but I think that's a function of the Glock system in general.

Sorry to dig up this year old post - I just figured I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread. I found a couple pre 94 ban Glock 17 mags. These are the later metal lined U-top versions, not the all plastic 1st gen. I was curious if pre-ban mags were still a thing for MA residents (pre-ban means nothing here in CT anymore...) If they are - is $40 reasonable these days? The pic is just the mag bodies, but I have all the internals (spring, follower, baseplate), just those parts I keep stored at a different location. I appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

• Preban Mags.jpg
    Preban Mags.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 22
Sorry to dig up this year old post - I just figured I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread. I found a couple pre 94 ban Glock 17 mags. These are the later metal lined U-top versions, not the all plastic 1st gen. I was curious if pre-ban mags were still a thing for MA residents (pre-ban means nothing here in CT anymore...) If they are - is $40 reasonable these days? The pic is just the mag bodies, but I have all the internals (spring, follower, baseplate), just those parts I keep stored at a different location. I appreciate the feedback!
Yes they are for the time being, and you could easily buy those for $40 and resell them for $90-100 in the classifieds here.

I got a G43X. I like having new mags in a carry gun.
The old square notch /metal lined mags are fine and very reliable. I have some G19s from my pant-shitter days and still use them.

But once you realize that a bad cop is going to jam you up whether your regular cap mag is pre-ban or not, your perspective changes…

I got a G43X. I like having new mags in a carry gun.
I replaced the springs and followers in my pre-bans so they're essentially as good as new.

But once you realize that a bad cop is going to jam you up whether your regular cap mag is pre-ban or not, your perspective changes…
A bad cop will jam you up for anything and nothing. It's unamerican to fear doing what's perfectly legal.

You have to love gun guys looking back at missed opportunities. They regert not buying an extra case of ammo rather than Apple stocks or something.
$60 for a thousand rounds of 7.62x39, in the 90s, 30 years ago. now worth $500. I'd still rather buy Nvidia stock. 80 cents a share in 1999, now almost $900 a share.

That same $60 would be $67,000

Most I ever paid for a Glock mag was $80 and I thought I should have my head examined then. The U notches don't seem to work in anything modern either, they didn't work properly in my Vector when I had it and they apparently are a no-no in the Ruger PC Carbine..at least thats what the website and manual say.

Most I ever paid for a Glock mag was $80 and I thought I should have my head examined then. The U notches don't seem to work in anything modern either, they didn't work properly in my Vector when I had it and they apparently are a no-no in the Ruger PC Carbine..at least thats what the website and manual say.
I paid $100 for a square notch from a guy here. He apologized for charging me that much lol.

I replaced the springs and followers in my pre-bans so they're essentially as good as new.
square notch ones are pretty immortal, when the insides are refreshed. i wish i had more, but, really gave up on the idea, prices are plain stupid now.

they work fine, but all old ones eventually get bloated, as they do not have reenforcing metal inside.
Had problems with both a Sub2K 9mm and Vector .45, usng U-notch.. Both work fine with square notch. Early U-notch have a slightly shorter magazine tube. That can affect the ability to have the mag fully seated and have the magazine catch fully engage.

they work fine, but all old ones eventually get bloated, as they do not have reenforcing metal inside.
The U notches actually DO have metal on the sides. They are not FULLY METAL LINED. So, when you open them up they are lined on only 3 sides. NOT the front.

However, Yes, the do bloat when loaded.

Not my experience, particularly with the Vector, the U notches would not lock in unless I sanded down the base plates heavily, and when they finally did lock in they never fed properly. I'm not even wasting my time with the U notches in the Ruger PCC.

I wish Ruger would make a magwell for the PCC that uses Beretta mags, I got a ton of those.

There's lots of prebans for sale around here if you look around. Just saw a Gen2 G17 with 5 preban mags for sale for $250 at a pawn shop.

Carrying 30 year old plastic mags in a carry gun is simply a bad idea. I'll take a 10 rounder that definitely works over a 17 rounder that might work any day.

Back
Top Bottom