Glock Pre Ban Mag$

They were going to $800 each on GB.
2906358.jpg

I'm surprised some factory in China hasn't figured out how to perfectly knock off Glock U notch magazines, turning about $4 in parts and labor into like $65/per.

I've been talking to my supplier in Shanghai to get cheap rebuild kits, FML square notches with caliber markings up top of the mag body. The problem is bribes and getting them here in any meaningful quantity. A lot of govt officials would need to be paid off. I think the solution at this point is just making our own country, would probably be cheaper.

I wonder if you could make a negative mold and pour new mag bodies.

I've been talking to my supplier in Shanghai to get cheap rebuild kits, FML square notches with caliber markings up top of the mag body. The problem is bribes and getting them here in any meaningful quantity. A lot of govt officials would need to be paid off. I think the solution at this point is just making our own country, would probably be cheaper.

Ummm, you want caliber markings low - NOT top of the mag body.

During the ban the mags were marked restricted and the caliber markings rose. You want the caliber makings in the original spot which is low.

Ummm, you want caliber markings low - NOT top of the mag body.

During the bad the mags were marked restricted and the caliber markings rose. You want the caliber makings in the original spot which is low.

youre right thanks, im not changing my post tho thats too much work

To be clear, I kind of meant I was surprised that some gray market level operation, possibly triad backed that doesn't really care about things like it being completely illegal to do, wasn't already doing it. If they are already doing illegal things, then I can't see them balking at a 1,625% profit margin. This was by no means a suggestion on us figuring it out. I don't look good in prison stripes.

As for negative mold and pouring--would get the basic shape, but lose a lot of the material strength properties by not injection molding. And that's even assuming you could pour zytel for this application. Plus, machining and installing the metal inserts would be a bitch by hand.

To be clear, I kind of meant I was surprised that some gray market level operation, possibly triad backed that doesn't really care about things like it being completely illegal to do, wasn't already doing it. If they are already doing illegal things, then I can't see them balking at a 1,625% profit margin. This was by no means a suggestion on us figuring it out. I don't look good in prison stripes.

As for negative mold and pouring--would get the basic shape, but lose a lot of the material strength properties by not injection molding. And that's even assuming you could pour zytel for this application. Plus, machining and installing the metal inserts would be a bitch by hand.

That's what I mean, could modern 2 part polymers hold up? The big thing is the mag lips. I would try to make the metal bodies first, then pour/injection mold around them. There's a really cool process for bakelite where it expands and kind of injection molds itself. Would be really cool to find out how much glock mags need to flex. The problem with hard polymers as I understand it is they tend to be brittle. Maybe another material could work as part of a kit. You sell a kit, just the machined metal liner with feed lips and mag release slot cut, plus a fiberglass or carbonfiber kit. Maybe the structural integrity is all the liner and the bodies can be 3d printed. Maybe we could even make them out of recycled plywood or something just to piss off even more people.

That's what I mean, could modern 2 part polymers hold up? The big thing is the mag lips. I would try to make the metal bodies first, then pour/injection mold around them. There's a really cool process for bakelite where it expands and kind of injection molds itself. Would be really cool to find out how much glock mags need to flex. The problem with hard polymers as I understand it is they tend to be brittle. Maybe another material could work as part of a kit. You sell a kit, just the machined metal liner with feed lips and mag release slot cut, plus a fiberglass or carbonfiber kit. Maybe the structural integrity is all the liner and the bodies can be 3d printed. Maybe we could even make them out of recycled plywood or something just to piss off even more people.
Not sure about 2 part polymers. I believe Glock's material is a glass filled polymer. So not exactly off the shelf and requires specific injection molding specifications that might be tricky to replicate. There was a rumor it was Dupoint Zytel, but who really knows.

That said, people in free states have been 3D printing Glock mags for some time, even extendos. I asked someone about how they hold up considering no metal insert. He told me they do bulge and don't drop free, but could last several range trips with basic PLA. The feed lips would be the first to go, actually. If one used a more advanced material, I suppose one could make a semi-permanent mag that way. Just not going to fool anyone it is a real Glock mag.

"For the purpose of clarity, we set forth herein the definition of Fair Market Value: as being the highest price in terms of money that a property will bring if exposed for sale in an open market, allowing a reasonable time to find a purchaser, buying with a full knowledge of all the uses to which it is adapted for, and for which it is capable of being used and without undue stimulus to buy or sell."

Lol there's absolutely nothing illegal about it if those clones arent sold in a mag ban state. Of course there are little tells that probably wouldnt be replicated.

It would be funny as hell though if Glock started making new U notch and old style square notch mags from old tooling. That would f*** with the flippers, badly. [rofl]

Lol there's absolutely nothing illegal about it if those clones arent sold in a mag ban state. Of course there are little tells that probably wouldnt be replicated.

It would be funny as hell though if Glock started making new U notch and old style square notch mags from old tooling. That would f*** with the flippers, badly. [rofl]
The molds for the mags have been permanently changed.

There are also many other changes in the polymer and metal in the newer mags.

There will never be more pre ban looking mags.

The guys and gals with pre bans - especially in new condition - own gold.

The laws will never change in Mass either.

The molds for the mags have been permanently changed.

There are also many other changes in the polymer and metal in the newer mags.

There will never be more pre ban looking mags.
Have you ever even been inside their injection molding shop? Did they actually destroy the molds? Or is this based off what some cop with an armorer cert told you? 🤣

The only reason Glock couldn't do this is because it wouldn't make economic sense to produce an inferior product to what is currently offered. The reality is making old mags for a handful of weird pant shitters isn't too profitable. It's fun to laugh about the idea, though.

Have you ever even been inside their injection molding shop? Did they actually destroy the molds? Or is this based off what some cop with an armorer cert told you? 🤣

The only reason Glock couldn't do this is because it wouldn't make economic sense to produce an inferior product to what is currently offered. The reality is making old mags for a handful of weird pant shitters isn't too profitable. It's fun to laugh about the idea, though.
During my first Armorers class we had a long discussion with the instructor (the guy who dropped the Glock out of the helicopter) about mags. This was important since Mass still had a ban after the AWB ended.

He talked in depth about the machinery. I know a bit about this because I used to work in an injection mold factory as a teen.

Weeks before the ban - Glock was preparing the new molds to go in so they can keep producing without a hiccup. The molds were updated a couple weeks before the ban and 10,000 mags had high caliber markings before the restricted markings plate was inserted below the caliber markings. For a very specific type of mag - that still had the mystery silver dots and straight shoulder they had high caliber markings without the restricted markings - 10,000 exist in that way.

Generally speaking though - you don't want high caliber markings because 99%+ are post ban. Good Luck in court sewing reasonable doubt that you high caliber markings are pre ban.

Huh?

Dow is up 69.6% since the peak of the 2000 dot on bubble.

And the NYSE composite is up 121.8% since then.

But, yes, yearly average returns have been poor. What, like 3.5% or so?

And yeah, that ammo would have been a better investment.
If you divide the stonk market by the USD money supply (I fully appreciate some people will call this a chart crime, but I've attached it anyways) , the real inflation adjusted, return over the long run is just the dividends. The money supply expanded 5% annually from 2000-2008, 7% annually from 2009-2020, and apparently is shooting for 20% annualized for the 2020's at current pace...

Anyways, if ammo went up 7% annualized from 2000-present, I think that's a pretty reasonable and accurate measure of the broader economy! I never liked the Big Mac Index. Ammo index is much better.

Starting your measure in y2k is also an odd choice, considering how dramatically different the numbers would be if you started in, say, 1997 or 2002.

buffet indicator2022.png
sp500overm2.png

Last edited:
Ever notice a lot of these pre ban mag listings the seller doesn't want to meet FTF, only offering shipping? Why? I've noticed many times on Beretta 92 preban mag listings the seller who is in MA doesn't wanna meet. And of course Reptile selling FML Glocks doesn't wanna meet. If the buyer is close, why not?

Ever notice a lot of these pre ban mag listings the seller doesn't want to meet FTF, only offering shipping? Why? I've noticed many times on Beretta 92 preban mag listings the seller who is in MA doesn't wanna meet. And of course Reptile selling FML Glocks doesn't wanna meet. If the buyer is close, why not?
They don't want to get dragged into a court case when the caliber marking height is measured too high.

I CAN meet FTF.

Just not worth my time for only one mag.

As stated - I CAN meet FTF for 2 or more...

I'm so focused on the sh*t MA laws that this obvious approach escaped me. lol. I'm betting a Chinese clone factory could easily replicate 1:1. Glock mags are simple if you have the injection molding and stamping equipment already. Little investment in new molds, but at a ridiculous profit margin--it would pay for itself in weeks. Not that I'm suggesting someone make new U notches.

I'm so focused on the sh*t MA laws that this obvious approach escaped me. lol. I'm betting a Chinese clone factory could easily replicate 1:1. Glock mags are simple if you have the injection molding and stamping equipment already. Little investment in new molds, but at a ridiculous profit margin--it would pay for itself in weeks. Not that I'm suggesting someone make new U notches.
I'm sure some Chinaman in Shanghia is plotting a scheme to help the red blooded patiotic Massachusetts USA Glock owners who are desperate for some FML Square notch!!!

You can call it a "Notch" market rather than just a "Niche".

The thing is I dont think it would be that great. the market for pant shitter prebans is overstated, IMHO that shit has jumped the shark. Most people have either resigned themselves to picking the "I don't care anymore ill buy what I want" (let's face it, some people just got tired of prostrating themselves to maura or whoever, and have decided to just piss in the face of danger or whatever, even if its not "safe" ) or the "f*** this shit, ill just use 10rd cripple mags until I escape this shithole" points of view. Overpaying by MANY hundreds of % markup for a preban mag to get a handful of extra rounds is just f***ing retarded, basically forcing people to one of the other two routes of pragmatism.

most pant shitters who overpay by hundreds of % for mags remind me of "Roginald" not exactly a lot of those around tho

View: https://youtu.be/dX-w53ZtHUQ?t=135

The thing is I dont think it would be that great. the market for pant shitter prebans is overstated, IMHO that shit has jumped the shark. Most people have either resigned themselves to picking the "I don't care anymore ill buy what I want" (let's face it, some people just got tired of prostrating themselves to maura or whoever, and have decided to just piss in the face of danger or whatever, even if its not "safe" ) or the "f*** this shit, ill just use 10rd cripple mags until I escape this shithole" points of view. Overpaying by MANY hundreds of % markup for a preban mag to get a handful of extra rounds is just f***ing retarded, basically forcing people to one of the other two routes of pragmatism.

most pant shitters who overpay by hundreds of % for mags remind me of "Roginald" not exactly a lot of those around tho

People spend hundreds just to carry an extra gun for some extra rounds.

I have 17 rounds in my FML Square notch.

Suitable most days and worth it.

People spend hundreds just to carry an extra gun for some extra rounds.

I have 17 rounds in my FML Square notch.

Suitable most days and worth it.
No, its not. That's not equivalent.

And you probably only paid 50 bucks or less for your mags, don't lie..... 🤣 dude I've been in the business I know what people pay for these things on the supply side.

Or, you know, crossing the border into NH.
I know, it is a crazy idea, but throwing it out there.

I used to have a ton of these, including square notch mags, that I'd find cheap. Like a fat 50 ammo can worth. Then I asked myself wtf is the point, no one notices or cares at the range anyway. Their "value" is only determined by our stupid ever changing MA laws and hope that any authority will believe you when you claim they're "pre ban".

Sold most of them, admittedly at "market value", which I think was like $75-90 for U notches and $150+ for square notches. Kept a few U and square notches just because I got them so cheap. Actually carry a 15rd U notch in my G19 (never had a problem with U notches) but would not pay $200 for a mag lol I don't shame anyone who does for their EDC gun but it's really just an unproven, feel good, made up insurance policy.

I can just imagine the court case: You've blasted some fentanyl addict who tried to shank you and now you're in court with diagrams for the judge explaining low caliber marks, notches, and Glock design history [rofl]

I'm sure some Chinaman in Shanghia is plotting a scheme to help the red blooded patiotic Massachusetts USA Glock owners who are desperate for some FML Square notch!!!

You can call it a "Notch" market rather than just a "Niche".
In that wildly far flung scenario I posted, the Chinaman would be incentivized by crazy profit margin and low overhead. But I think we've possibly put too much thought into it now, as it would never happen in the first place and was more of a "what if" day dream.

I'm in the latter group of just using 10rd mags for pistols now until I win Megamillions and buy a ranch somewhere free. Although, USGI and my factory MP5 are still running strong, but that's an entirely separate conversation.

People think doing biz with the Chinese is so awesome. How do you do business with a culture where theft and cheating is not only allowed, but encouraged and considered a reasonable business practice???? The guy that basically brought back the 1887 Winchester Terminator-II shotgun got his ass handed to him by the Chinese. He did all the development and spent all the $. Others received the profits. It was ugly. (Gosh, that has to be nearly 20 years ago!)

No offense, but "says the guy selling expensive magazines."

The feds will stop the state. I will agree that mASS will never change the law. But they will get their seeds supered.

I used to have a ton of these, including square notch mags, that I'd find cheap. Like a fat 50 ammo can worth. Then I asked myself wtf is the point, no one notices or cares at the range anyway. Their "value" is only determined by our stupid ever changing MA laws and hope that any authority will believe you when you claim they're "pre ban".

Sold most of them, admittedly at "market value", which I think was like $75-90 for U notches and $150+ for square notches. Kept a few U and square notches just because I got them so cheap. Actually carry a 15rd U notch in my G19 (never had a problem with U notches) but would not pay $200 for a mag lol I don't shame anyone who does for their EDC gun but it's really just an unproven, feel good, made up insurance policy.

I can just imagine the court case: You've blasted some fentanyl addict who tried to shank you and now you're in court with diagrams for the judge explaining low caliber marks, notches, and Glock design history [rofl]
Why are the square notch more expensive than the U if they are both pre-ban?

Round capacity?
Quality?

Last edited:
Not saying this to give you sh*t.

But look at our neighbor CT, they are trying to take grandfathered rifles.

There is nothing stopping MA from banning those "pre-ban" magazines" - specially if it would be an easy and quick political win.

A pre-ban mag will also not stop a cop from arresting you and charging you with possession of high cap mags.

You will still need a lawyer to show those are pre-ban. Remember, in MA it is YOUR JOB to prove the charge is bullsh*t, not the DA job. So you better get a lawyer that understand this stuff.

Not trying to scare anyone, but let's sell it how it really is, a turd with sprinkles on it, not rainbows and unicorns.

Why are the square botch more expensive than the U if they are both pre-ban?

Round capacity?
Quality?
They are more durable.

FML - Fully Metal Lined - not just on three sided.
They don't plump swell of flex when loaded.

I've been CCW the same mag for 20 years.

The are FML like the new mags.

In classes I have stepped on and smashed the new 10 round mags and they are indestructible.
The Square Notch FML mags as just as tough.

Back
Top Bottom