Glock Pre Ban Mag$

Squares seem to be the more survivable of the prebans because of full metal liners. U-notch, on the other hand, with their only partial metal liner, are the ones that seem to crack more often because the plastic itself is partially stressed under load--hence the bulging and lack of drop free. The one square I owned that broke was the one where the baseplate lips sheared off.
I assumed as much. But "it only broke where the baseplate connects" is kind of damning with faint praise, no?

Thank you to everyone for chiming in. As always I come away with bushels full of knowledge. Most of it is useful...bonus!

I assumed as much. But "it only broke where the baseplate connects" is kind of damning with faint praise, no?

I very well may be partially to blame. Yes, the mag was old and the plastic had seen better days, but I was also experimenting with various mag extensions at the time. Swapping them out a few times, putting that part in question under more stress than if I just kept the plastic baseplate on it. The mag extensions were all metal construction, so if anything was going to give, it was going to be the plastic lips on the mag. I do think the plastic was weak with age, but possibly could have gone on longer had I not futzed with it.

I kept the other square I own bone stock, and it seems fine. I suppose I'll find out when one day the baseplate pops off in the middle of grocery shopping and15 rounds spray down the aisle.

I think mag bans will lose in court within the next 2-5 years, I hope the flipped feel the burn

I don't think, I know. The Supremes don't kick back a case to reconsider unless they are saying, "You got this wrong - change it. Now." It's still gonna take 2 years or so to trickle down to mASSachusetts. I've been deprived this long. It sucks, but I'll be patient. It isn't like I'm going up against two rival gangs a la Bruce in Last Man Standing. LOL

I don't think, I know. The Supremes don't kick back a case to reconsider unless they are saying, "You got this wrong - change it. Now." It's still gonna take 2 years or so to trickle down to mASSachusetts. I've been deprived this long. It sucks, but I'll be patient. It isn't like I'm going up against two rival gangs a la Bruce in Last Man Standing. LOL

The GVR of Duncan, the CA mag case, bianch vs Frosh the MD AWB and mag limits doesn’t necessarily mean that because both were decided by lower courts using interest balancing. The bruen requirement of text history is what will kill the modern gun control ideas. The fist mag ban was in 1988, AWB I think in 1990. They can’t find any history of similar regulations

Is that also why they sit in the classifieds forever?

The NFA $200 tax stamp wasn’t indexed to inflation so the $200 is nothing now (still unconstitutional though) but it was meant to be prohibitively expensive to where someone wouldn’t buy an SBR, can, etc. if repilte holds out for 50 years the $275 won’t be so bad

Anyone paying $275 for a mag has mental issues.

I thought that about Glock mags back in 2000 for $45. Some may remember the toolbag in. . . . Minnesota that was going to import a crapload of preban mags and sell them for $30 or $35 each. Mark something? It's been so long. People jumped at it. I don't think he consciously planned on bilking everyone out of the $, but I don't think he had ANY sort of system to actually get the mags from Europe over here. LOL

The same guy had a deal where you put up the $60 (yes, $60) for a case of 7.62x39. He'd sell it at a gun show for $85 and you'd split the $25.

Yes, wholesale AK ammo was $60 a case of 1,000. It breaks my heart.

That doesn't give me a lot of feel-better-ness when I'm at the range not shooting 6c 7.62x39 or `10c .223. LOL

$45 in 2000 was worth a lot less than $225 now. 7% inflation. Wow.

$370 case of 7.62 was $89 shipped back in 00 - 6.4%

Both are actually higher than the stock market in the same time period. (We've had terrible market returns in the last 2 decades. Crashes in 01 and 08, hiccups in 20 and a bear market in 22. Market is up around 6.3% since 2000. Long term average is 10%. Wow. )

So there's that.

… Market is up around 6.3% since 2000. …
Huh?

Dow is up 69.6% since the peak of the 2000 dot on bubble.

And the NYSE composite is up 121.8% since then.

But, yes, yearly average returns have been poor. What, like 3.5% or so?

And yeah, that ammo would have been a better investment.

Annualized. ANNUALIZED!

The S&P peaked at close to 1500 in 2001. It crawled all the way back to it by 08, only to turn tail and drop to 670 or so.

S&P is now at 4,000 or so, not including dividends. A shade over 5% + dividends (from the high, not 1/1/00). The Dow is not up 69% since the peak in 01. It's triple what it was in 01. 11,000 begets 33,000.

I am surprised someone hasn't joined every free state gun forum. then, advertise a swap program. Swap out your old mags and receive a brand new one. Sure, you take some risk. But, you should come out well ahead in the end.

Legalities may get in the way. There are a lot of those mags still around in other states

I am surprised someone hasn't joined every free state gun forum. then, advertise a swap program. Swap out your old mags and receive a brand new one. Sure, you take some risk. But, you should come out well ahead in the end.

Legalities may get in the way. There are a lot of those mags still around in other states

I'm surprised some factory in China hasn't figured out how to perfectly knock off Glock U notch magazines, turning about $4 in parts and labor into like $65/per.

You're about 15 years too late. I did that back when the Federal ban ended. I shipped packets of mags from Brownell's to folks all over the US in exchange for their preban mags. I had customers lined up and everything right before it all ended.

There was also a guy online - Marks' Guns??? - he had a pile of preban mags that he deeply discounted. Suddenly, instead of everyone needing prebans he picked up on police trade-ins, only a few states needed them.

Sadly, about 8 years ago, I sold my G19 to go 100% Fo-Tay. So I sold my mags (here) for barely more than I paid. Then I got a new G19 a couple of years ago. Replaced FML's with NFML's (but still drop free) and it cost me $300 in the process. LOL. Thankfully, I sold the original G19 for a PILE of $.

Nice, But. I am betting there are still more out there.

I know what you mean. You sell a gun only to buy another. Yep, I had a lever action 357 a long, long time ago. Hard as hell to locate one now that doesn't cost more than a Deagle

I am pretty sure there are a bunch of pre-ban Glock mags for under $270 on GB.

Maybe people are buying them and marking them up here?

I just assumed that pretty much everyone does what I do. Any time you're in a free state go to a gun shop and root around in their box of random mags and buy whatever you like.

I am pretty sure there are a bunch of pre-ban Glock mags for under $270 on GB.

Maybe people are buying them and marking them up here?
somebody just placed an upgraded tavor out there for $3500, mine is actually way more upgraded, may be i should offer it for a $4k. as why not.

I will give you $1,500
i`ll take it, thx.

but no tavor. :)

F23AA8C0-974F-4284-861A-2D91DAEBCA76.jpeg

Fine, $1200 for the rifle, you pay transfer at my local FFL, but I can only meet tjlhe first Tuesday of the month between 2:15 and 3:17pm if it isn't raining.
to think of it, it is probably almost fairly close to what i dumped into that tavor, total. it is a one almost golden tavorchik.
i should put a gold coating on it, some spray paint would do.

Back
Top Bottom