Glock/Polymer 80 Question

Hey everyone, looking for some answers if anyone has any.

I recently traded for a gen 2 glock 17. The pistol shows its age so I contacted glock about getting an updated frame and servicing. I was told they could not do the frame update because I’m a MA resident. I did some research and found polymer 80. Now my question is. If I swapped my registered glock frame out and replaced it with a polymer 80 frame would this raise any legal issues? I would like to use the pistol for personal protection, would that be a good idea with a polymer 80 frame on my registered 17? Thanks for the help

The P80 has to be eFA10'd upon completion/assembly IIRC

If you got a P80 and machined it you could put your G17 slide on it.

Not for nothing but there are Glock frames showing up in certain places as of late in MA, have you considered buying a newer frame from one of those dealers?

But if there is nothing wrong with your Gen2 frame, why bother? If worse came to worse you could buy a parts kit and rebuild it, it does not take much.

The hardest thing to replace on a Glock is the rear sight, and there are people who drift them in with a nylon punch not the pusher tool.

I looked in to the Glock frame upgrade in the past. They’ll only swap it for warranty issues (like you used it as a hammer and created a stress crack ;). I ended up buying a gen 3 19 and a 17 frame for less than $100 ea shipped to my ffl. I like the feel of factory over the p80. Keep an eye open. Frames pop up here time to time and they frequently go on sale at those glorious online sites.

I would like to use the pistol for personal protection,

If you got a P80 and machined it you could put your G17 slide on it.
the p80 80% frame will not have a serial number on it until you give it one, do the batfe paperwork and transfer it to your possession. i only mention this cause, and this is me, i'd hate to have to use that pistol in some situation of self preservation and when the fact that there is no serial number on that frame...well, things may not go well for ya in court.

wtf, it's a 25+ year old pistol. send it to glock and they'll replace any worn parts free if you think it's tired. or move out of state and leave it behind cause you feel sorry for us. sell it for $800 with 1 10 round mag. sell the original hi caps separately for 100 ea. [smile]

the p80 80% frame will not have a serial number on it until you give it one, do the batfe paperwork and transfer it to your possession. i only mention this cause, and this is me, i'd hate to have to use that pistol in some situation of self preservation and when the fact that there is no serial number on that frame...well, things may not go well for ya in court.

wtf, it's a 25+ year old pistol. send it to glock and they'll replace any worn parts free if you think it's tired. or move out of state and leave it behind cause you feel sorry for us. sell it for $800 with 1 10 round mag. sell the original hi caps separately for 100 ea. [smile]

I don't think it needs a SN unless you sell it in the future, and the Feds have very specific rules as to the depth of the engraving so if you do it, do it right... see 27 CFR 472.92. There is no BATFE paperwork for a unserialized P80 kit when you buy it in kit form, or when you complete it, but MA will require a eFA-10, and you can put NONE for the sn on that form when you complete it, unless you mark it per the regulation above.

would purchasing a new glock frame and swapping the slide over be a better legal option? my main worry is the legal issue if i ever had to use it to protect myself or if i were ever pulled over with it. the laws arent very clear. i just bought a house in MA so im not leaving anytime soon

Last edited:
would purchasing a new glock frame and swapping the slide over be a better legal option? my main worry is the legal issue if i ever had to use it to protect myself or if i were ever pulled over with it. the laws arent very clear. i just bought a house in MA so im not leaving anytime soon

There are zero legal worries about swapping a slide onto a different frame. Your only issues are getting a new frame transferred to you through a MA FFL. It’s totally legal for you to own newer frames, but an FFL may not want to transfer one because of the AG’s regs that apply to them, but don’t apply to you.

I don't think it needs a SN unless you sell it in the future, and the Feds have very specific rules as to the depth of the engraving so if you do it, do it right... see 27 CFR 472.92. There is no BATFE paperwork for a unserialized P80 kit when you buy it in kit form, or when you complete it, but MA will require a eFA-10, and you can put NONE for the sn on that form when you complete it, unless you mark it per the regulation above.

There are NO federal laws or requirements for firearms manufactured by you for your own use to EVER bear a serial number, even if you someday decide to sell it.

Some localities have such laws, like Kalifornia. Mass does not.

Hey everyone, looking for some answers if anyone has any.

I recently traded for a gen 2 glock 17. The pistol shows its age so I contacted glock about getting an updated frame and servicing. I was told they could not do the frame update because I’m a MA resident. I did some research and found polymer 80. Now my question is. If I swapped my registered glock frame out and replaced it with a polymer 80 frame would this raise any legal issues? I would like to use the pistol for personal protection, would that be a good idea with a polymer 80 frame on my registered 17? Thanks for the help
Hi Maura

There are zero legal worries about swapping a slide onto a different frame. Your only issues are getting a new frame transferred to you through a MA FFL. It’s totally legal for you to own newer frames, but an FFL may not want to transfer one because of the AG’s regs that apply to them, but don’t apply to you.
The OP should find a different dealer. Frames are not considered firearms under MA law so all that's required on the dealers end is the 4473. FA10 required within 7 days once the owner assemblies it into a firearm.

We can help you out. We've got plenty of gen 3 stripped Glock 17 frames in stock ready for a build. Swap all of your current lower parts into it as gen 2 and 3 interchange, and put your slide on and you're ready to rock and roll.

We can help you out. We've got plenty of gen 3 stripped Glock 17 frames in stock ready for a build. Swap all of your current lower parts into it as gen 2 and 3 interchange, and put your slide on and you're ready to rock and roll.
thanks for all of the help everyone. @TheArmsDealer ill be in touch. i sent my g17 into glock last week to have some work done.

I'd refurb the gun as you have it. Unless its having reliability issues.

The reality is that you bought a Glock because its a dull but reliable gun. Even a Glock that is showing its age is still dull and reliable. If its not reliable, its so easy to make it reliable, its silly.
1) new recoil spring assembly
2) new striker spring, trigger spring, extractor spring.
3) if you are having failure to eject problems then a new extractor.
4) new mag springs.

It should run you about $25 and your gun is good for another 40,000 rounds.

If you switch to a polymer 80 frame. It may be just as reliable as a Glock.

It may NOT be just as reliable as a Glock.

We buy glocks because while nothing is certain in life, there is a very high probabliity that a Glock is going to go bang, eject the spent cartridge and then chamber a new cartridge, ready to go bang the next time the trigger is squeezed. Why screw with that??

The laws are actually perfectly clear. Once you get used to them.

You are fine to do whatever you want with the old frame, new frame, slide assembly. So long as if you finish a Polymer 80 frame and put a slide on it you eFA10 it.

Back
Top Bottom