• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GLOCK Modifications

Hi all! I'm getting back into shooting and new to Glocks. Can I make any modifications to my G19 like a new barrel and trigger system with a lighter weight pull? What is legal in MA?

Scott

Hi all! I'm getting back into shooting and new to Glocks. Can I make any modifications to my G19 like a new barrel and trigger system with a lighter weight pull? What is legal in MA?

Scott

nothing is legal. go nuts

You could buy a match grade barrel, but the stock barrel is more than sufficient. The great thing about Glocks, in my opinion, is that they're engineered quite simply and working on them isn't hard.

The lighter weigh trigger bar is cheap, and while you're modding it you can polish everything up nice and smooth. You can also try different weight springs, but you may want to carefully note how it functions and feels for the trigger. It may take some time to tweak it to how you like the feel and weight, but you will learn your pistol inside and out which is important.

Here is a video on barrel options:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! I'm getting back into shooting and new to Glocks. Can I make any modifications to my G19 like a new barrel and trigger system with a lighter weight pull? What is legal in MA? Scott

Yes that is perfectly legal, even in MA

Here are some standard mods for Glocks:

- extended slide release
- smooth trigger
- extended mag release
- extended whatchamacallit to disassemble easier

Don't waste your $$ on an aftermarket barrel. A stock Glock (assuming there are no major mechanical issues) is a 100 yard gun with wal-mart ammo.

I really dig my OC Customs trigger. Super cheap, and has functioned flawless so far.

Just did the following to my 19

Lone wolf 3.5 trigger bar
Lone wolf extended mag release
Glock extended slide release
Lone wolf extended slide release

Makes for a much more enjoyable shot.

Just did the following to my 19

Lone wolf 3.5 trigger bar
Lone wolf extended mag release
Glock extended slide release
Lone wolf extended slide release

Makes for a much more enjoyable shot.

same , also do the Lone Wolf Extractor which Helps a ton with Brass to Face issues, takes 2 min and only 15 bucks

Here are some standard mods for Glocks:

- extended slide release
- smooth trigger
- extended mag release
- extended whatchamacallit to disassemble easier

- extended slide release dumb, learn to drop the slide properly
- smooth trigger Put a stock Glock 4.5 lb connector, which actually gets the trigger down to about 5.5 lbs, and call it a day
- extended mag release learn to hit the stock one. Its fine.
- extended whatchamacallit to disassemble easiedumbest glock accessory ever. Learn to do it right. Youtube is your friend.

I'd like one of those to fit a 43. You selling them?
You can do it yourself but will have a small hole on other side, it's ok because the pin can't go through that side.
Drill a very small hole until you hit the Metal pin about a 1/16 in and use a finish nail or very small punch to pop pin out, repeat with spare trig with bar set up (Can be bought at Brownells or Midway for 13-14 bucks) and just switch. You cant just use the 42 set up because the bar isn't the same, 4mm off.
The set up you buy will fit all the Glocks but the 43 and 42, hence is why you need to drill the new and old one.
Pics are the small drill hole from a 43.

Attachments

• 3268-1433289938.jpg
    3268-1433289938.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0004_zpsrpttxayu.jpg
    DSC_0004_zpsrpttxayu.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 47
I put the extended slide stop on all my Glocks.

I put them on when I get around to it but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't have it. It's good idea to check holster fit too as some holsters don't necessarily have the correct groove to accomodate the riased nub on the slide lock. Like my Bladetechs dont seem to have a problem but I had another holster where it changed the fit of the gun because the kydex rubbed up against the slide lock because the channel wasn't deep enough.

-Mike

I respect your opinions. So enlighten me. I'm left handed even and I find no benefit to the extended stop on my 34 vs the regular one on my 19.

Do you drop the slide with it? Is it easier for you to lock it back?

Yes and yes.

As a lefty, pulling back on the slide is perhaps the best alternative for you to drop the slide on a Glock. Unless a gun has an ambi slide stop, you really don't have much choice. Some lefties use their trigger finger, but that never seemed natural to me when I tried it (I'm right-handed, but I tried to learn to manipulate a gun left-handed back when I was instructing).

For righties, there are two schools of thought concerning dropping the slide: pulling back on the slide or using the slide stop. There are a number of instructors who claim that pulling back on the slide stop is "the correct way" because it is a "gross motor skill". They claim that in a gunfight you will lose your "fine motor skills" and will be less likely to be able to push down on the slide stop, but that you will be able to pull back on the slide.

I disagree with that theory. The term "gross motor skills" comes from child development theory. But the instructors promoting this theory are using it incorrectly. By definition, anything using your fingers is a fine motor skill. Gross motor skills are those involving your large muscles like your legs. Pushing down on the slide stop is, indeed, a fine motor skill. But grasping the slide and pulling it back is, by definition, also a fine motor skill. Pressing the magazine release button is also a fine motor skill. So let's set that term aside as it is completely incorrect for comparing pressing a slide stop versus retracting the slide.

Now the question is, is pulling back on the slide more reliable under stress than pressing the slide stop for a right-handed person? The devotees of pulling back on the slide claim that it is more reliable, but they don't supply any evidence to support their assertion. In fact, they imply that you will be able to press the magazine release button, but claim you won't be able to press the slide stop, which seems to me to be nonsensical as they are both devices of similar size.

I don't have data on which is more reliable. All I have are my observations and my own experience while under the mild stress of competition. As long as a gun has a properly located and reasonably sized slide stop, I've never had a hard time finding it under stress. In contrast, I have seen a master class IDPA shooter have his hand slip off the slide of a Glock, failing to pull it off the slide stop. He did that twice, on the same reload. I've never seen an IDPA shooter miss the slide stop with his thumb.

If you feel that pulling back on the slide is more reliable for you (and as a lefty, I suspect it probably is), then great, use that. Either technique works.

The other issue is speed. For me, pressing down on the slide stop is simply faster than pulling back on the slide. In the unlikely event that I am ever in a gunfight, and in the even unlikelier event that I run the gun dry in said gunfight, I'll need to reload it as quickly as possible. So I press down on the slide stop.

The standard Glock slide stop is small, flush, and hard to press down on. The extended slide stop is far better for me to reach -- in fact, I can reach it with my strong hand thumb, which is unusual for most slide stops.

I can understand why some people choose to pull back on the slide. I object when people claim that this the "correct" way to drop the slide. It is a correct way to drop the slide, but it isn't the only correct way. Try both ways, decide which works best for you, practice that way always.

That all makes sense. Pressing the slide release is definitely faster.

I used to do it with my 1911s, a couple of which had extended (both out and back) slide releases that were very easy to hit with my trigger finger.

I've stopped because I mainly carry Glocks and don't want to get in the habit of doing in competition, things that won't work if I have to use a gun defensively.

One funny thing re language. Glock calls the thing that you push down to remove the slide a "slide lock".

Don

That all makes sense. Pressing the slide release is definitely faster.

I used to do it with my 1911s, a couple of which had extended (both out and back) slide releases that were very easy to hit with my trigger finger.

I've stopped because I mainly carry Glocks and don't want to get in the habit of doing in competition, things that won't work if I have to use a gun defensively.

One funny thing re language. Glock calls the thing that you push down to remove the slide a "slide lock".

Don

Here's a dude I followed on IG for a while. Great guy, and he demos his left handed slide-lock reloads. I think he's doing ok without the slide stop/release/whatever lever. hahahaha

https://www.instagram.com/p/7bpZXKghae/

Just an FYI for the lefties.

Glock calls the thing that you push down to remove the slide a "slide lock".

The manual for my first gun, an early Glock 17, said that you could release the slide by either pulling back or pushing down on the slide stop. The extended slide stop is clearly shaped so that you can push down on it. So I don't agree with those who say that it is not designed to be pushed down.

Here's a dude I followed on IG for a while. Great guy, and he demos his left handed slide-lock reloads. I think he's doing ok without the slide stop/release/whatever lever. hahahaha

https://www.instagram.com/p/7bpZXKghae/

Just an FYI for the lefties.

Damn fast. Looks like he's using his support thumb on the ejection port to pull the slide back off the slide lock?? I'm going to have to try it.

I like the Glock extended lock better than the standard, but not enough difference to replace them. It's a little easier for my thumb to feel with gloves on while locking the slide back.

Back
Top Bottom