• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock mag pre ban advice

If you look in the MA Gun Laws sub-forum (the proper place for these questions . . . and to find the answers), you will find a sticky on this exact question. If you read it, you will likely find your answer (your small pic is such that I can't make out the right-hand mag enough to answer, but U-channel mags are ALL pre-ban).

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...dentifying-Pre-Ban-Glock-Mags?highlight=glock

Thanks Len. I did research and they appeared pre-ban to me. But as that I am so new to the gun world and the purchase would be FTF, I thought that a little confirmation from this esteemed board would ease my mind.

Stewart

One of my U notch G17 mags is just about dead. Its split almost from top to bottom. I used it about 100 times since I've bought it.

Sucks. I'll have to load it up and take a photo of it, it looks really damaged when its loaded, still feeds though [rofl]

One of my U notch G17 mags is just about dead. Its split almost from top to bottom. I used it about 100 times since I've bought it.

Sucks. I'll have to load it up and take a photo of it, it looks really damaged when its loaded, still feeds though [rofl]

I recall seeing boxes and boxes of mags in this condition being sold at some gun shows a few years ago . . . and they weren't priced very cheap either as I recall. My Wife has a number of U-channel G17 mags and to date they all look fine. Glock was even nice enough to replace the followers/springs/baseplates on them for her.

Yes, those are U notch, older than s**t/dirt magazines. Dinosaurs roamed the earth when those were made. There is no way in hell they are NOT preban. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited:
I recall seeing boxes and boxes of mags in this condition being sold at some gun shows a few years ago . . . and they weren't priced very cheap either as I recall. My Wife has a number of U-channel G17 mags and to date they all look fine. Glock was even nice enough to replace the followers/springs/baseplates on them for her.

Part of the problem with the U notch magazines is they were produced in at least 2 or 3 different generations. The oldest of that design are horrible, and they all eventually crack down the middle like the one Dench is talking about.... there are others that are partially metal lined that hold up a lot better than those do.

-Mike

Part of the problem with the U notch magazines is they were produced in at least 2 or 3 different generations. The oldest of that design are horrible, and they all eventually crack down the middle like the one Dench is talking about.... there are others that are partially metal lined that hold up a lot better than those do.

-Mike

Was an expensive winter of practice had (3) of my U notch mags split. There is just not something right about feeding my Glock with a 10 rounder so I just continue finding replacements.

The body of the mag is split.

I contacted Glock about a split G22 mag. and they said send the broken one in and they'll replace it. Sucks that it'll ba a 10rd but I'd rather have a 10 that works than 15 that doesn't.

That's where you may run into the argument that the mag body is what constitutes what a mag is. A weak point, but a point nonetheless.

A point which BATFE didn't agree with (they allowed you to replace everything, as long as you were not, in effect, creating an additional mag...) of course in this case BATFE is somewhat irrelevant, as MA only chose to directly adopt some of the verbiage out of the ban. Whether doing a full out replacement in MA is legal or not is anyone's guess. There really isn't a whole hell of a lot of case law on the issue.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom