• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock Lower for 10mm Carbine

I'm not certain this is so much a "build it yourself" project but I thought I'd ask here. I've wanted a 10mm carbine that uses Glock 20 magazines for a while, but haven't been willing to purchase a full glock 20 to dismantle it for just the lower frame.

Does anyone know any shops in New Hampshire that are selling the lower frames of Glock 20s that I could use to build a Carbine?

I don't know of any, but I should point out that the G21 (45ACP) is the same size frame. I have a G21 I converted to 10mm, and all the frame needed was G20 mags.

On the other hand, if you were forced to buy a complete G20 for the frame, I would definitely be interested in buying the slide and barrel.

I'll probably regret asking, 'cause it's the sort of question that leads me into project$, but which carbine kit were you looking at?

These guys make a metal glock frame. I suppose that you could add on to it. http://www.ccfraceframes.com/home.php

That's great but CCF doesn't make a G20/G21 frame. On top of that, I don't think the timberwolf clones of those things are available either... Widebody glocks just aren't that popular in competition. (which is mostly what those things are geared towards).

-Mike

That's great but CCF doesn't make a G20/G21 frame. On top of that, I don't think the timberwolf clones of those things are available either... Widebody glocks just aren't that popular in competition. (which is mostly what those things are geared towards).

-Mike

I checked the LWD website when I saw this thread, its only the 17/22/34/35 sized frame that's available.

I'll probably regret asking, 'cause it's the sort of question that leads me into project$, but which carbine kit were you looking at?

Mech tech - http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

Interested in having a semi-automatic pistol / carbine combination in the same caliber that share magazines.

I'm aware it's the same frame for the Glock 20 and Glock 21, so either frame will work.

The reason for wanting a 10mm is to have a round that can actually make effective use of the longer barrel in the carbine. Full power 10mm ammunition is reasonable for medium game hunting from a 6" barrel and while 16" is really more than it needs, it's the shortest barrel allowed without tossing a tax stamp into the cost of the build. Drop the barrel length to 14" and add a 2" long flash suppressor and I think I'd still be happy with it.

I've found some available through on-line sales, but would rather support local vendors when possible.

Yep, I was afraid of this - now I want one.....

That Mechtech does look interesting. Let us know how it goes, and good luck on the frame search!

Are you specifically looking for a Glock receiver to build up or do you just want something you can build up into a carbine that take Glock mags?

MGI makes an AR lower that has interchangeable mag wells. I know that they have a 10mm/Glock mag option. They only show so many combinations on the website but you should be able to get what you want.

http://www.mgimilitary.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=31

http://www.mgimilitary.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=58

I have been thinking about getting one of these so I can build out a 7.62X39 AR that uses AK47 mags.

-MS

aiga,

I don't have my heart set on a specific kit or the glock frame. The goal is to have a 16" barrel carbine (at least until I decided to upgrade to a NFA tax stamped version) that will accept standard 10mm Glock 20 magazines. While the AR route is ok, there's a lot of over-head in OAL of the weapon from the reciever designed for 2"+ long bullets and a mag well in front of the grip. Still not totally opposed to an AR, if I can get a lower, 10mm upper and mag-well insert for a reasonable price.

If I have to buy a full Glock 20, the whole carbine would be in the $800-$900. If I can find a $300 frame, it'll nock that down to the $600-$700 range.

AR:
Magwell Insert: $275 (seems really pricy for a spacer-block)
Assembled Lower for Magwell: $650 ($499 Stripped)
10mm Upper Reciever: $685 (from Olympic Arms, and hopefully it's compataible with the magwell, since it comes with its own magazines)
$1610 does seem a little pricy.

I checked the LWD website when I saw this thread, its only the 17/22/34/35 sized frame that's available.

FWIW, I emailed them about the wide body frame, they told me they would have one in production at the end of this year.

FWIW, I emailed them about the wide body frame, they told me they would have one in production at the end of this year.

Curious, since the glock frame they're replacing carries the serial number, do they also carry a serial number and are thus defined as firearms by the BATFE?

If not, what's the BATFE controlled part on a glock?

Curious, since the glock frame they're replacing carries the serial number, do they also carry a serial number and are thus defined as firearms by the BATFE?

The serial number is on the frame. My understanding is that it is handled just like buying a 1911 frame and building around it.

Don't know if you're pegged to 10mm because you already have a 10mm handgun but - Any interest in .357 Sig? It'd be a lot easier to find a frame (any Glock 22 frame), and that round definitely benefits from the longer barrel.

I already have the full-sized 10mm handgun (and a lot of spare mags) plus reloading set-ups for 10mm ammunition.

I also have a Glock 23, but fewer mags and for magazine compatibility, I'd need to go with a compact frame on the carbine.

On the other hand, a new full-sized pistol full-sized frame and the full kit would be cheaper than that AR solution...

The serial number is on the frame. My understanding is that it is handled just like buying a 1911 frame and building around it.

Yep. The frame is the controlled part on Glocks, just like most pistols. The RaceFrames and the Timberwolfs would both require an FFL transfer.

Back
Top Bottom