Glock Failure to feed

I’ve been having some FTF issues with a recent Glock. I’m not surprised to have malfunctions as it’s been a complete aftermarket build.

The failure to feeds occur regardless of what magazine I use. They occur when I’m either dropping the slide release or slingshotting the slide the old fashion way. Not only when shooting, even just loading firearm for the first time. Doesn’t matter if the mag is fully loaded or only a few loaded.

Where would you start to diagnose this? It’s a Zev lower, brownells slide, Faxxon barrel. And factory guide rod. Had the same issue with my Zev barrel as well.

I’m wondering if a heavier guide rod spring will help shove it into battery? But then I’m concerned about it cycling 115gr.

Before you say “just keep it stock”. I get it - most of my glocks are all factory. Just have a couple I like tinkering with.

Attachments

• 93AF9DC9-C786-4AF8-92BB-BC0882F0B90E.jpeg
    93AF9DC9-C786-4AF8-92BB-BC0882F0B90E.jpeg
    726.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
first of all it is not a Glock

Glocks rarely have FTF issues.

You have a hodgepodge of parts put together to resemble a Gucci gun.

Do you have a complete stock Glock slide assy to try on the lower?

A Lower to try on the upper?

probably a problem with the upper. is the breech face smooth to the touch? remove the extractor, does it still do it?

My stock g43 was having ftf due to the extractor hanging up on the back of the case.
Wouldn't go into battery or the bullet would look like yours. A few hundred cycles with snap caps and it seems fine. The extractor destroyed the backs of the snap caps. It was super tight, or the machining/mimming was off or both

My stock g43 was having ftf due to the extractor hanging up on the back of the case.
Wouldn't go into battery or the bullet would look like yours. A few hundred cycles with snap caps and it seems fine. The extractor destroyed the backs of the snap caps. It was super tight, or the machining/mimming was off or both
This is definitely one option to try with "metal" dummy rounds.
Also try it with different types of ammunition "including" carry ammo.
Many pistols require a break in period; since it's NOT a GLOCK it very well could need a break in period.

Factory ammo or reloads? I’d be looking at the OAL of the rounds.
All factory ammo. It occurs with the 115gr blazer and 115 mag tech. When I use my self defense ammo, 147gr, which is a bit longer, it doesn’t occur. And I’m talking about recoil/reload. Simply loading a dry gun and dropping the slide myself.
probably a problem with the upper. is the breech face smooth to the touch? remove the extractor, does it still do it?
Removed the extractor. No FTF, but a couple of loads felt like there was still a small hiccup - but still went into battery none the less.

I’m thinking this may be similar. But I recently put 300 rounds thru it last Monday and the problem persists.

All factory ammo. It occurs with the 115gr blazer and 115 mag tech. When I use my self defense ammo, 147gr, which is a bit longer, it doesn’t occur. And I’m talking about recoil/reload. Simply loading a dry gun and dropping the slide myself.

Removed the extractor. No FTF, but a couple of loads felt like there was still a small hiccup - but still went into battery none the less.

I’m thinking this may be similar. But I recently put 300 rounds thru it last Monday and the problem persists.

Is the extractor and extractor channel clean? Spring and plunger moving freely? Any carbon buildup or funky pieces of primer or copper jacketing in there? I like dental tools for this job. Could be that your extractor or upper is out of spec. I bet another upper will run fine on your lower. You already ruled out mags, which is good. How's your feed ramp? Smooth to the touch? Any cracks on your frame near the rails? Is there a crack in the guiderod?

Hopefully a dirty or out of spec extractor.

seriously...it's not a glock, it's a mutt gun. take it back to the guy who built it and if that don't work start calling zev, brownells and faxxon.

So sorry for offending you by calling it a Glock. I forgot how sensitive everyone is these days.

Does the round chamber if you force the slide into battery by hand? If so, then it's probably not a fitting issue and more of a recoil spring strength issue. Custom builds almost always need fine tuning before they're shootable. Also make sure that the friction along the slide rails is minimal. Unnecessary friction will rob the recoil spring's strength. Keep working at it.

Zev lower = not a glock, you're running a mixmaster glock clone.

The more people try to f*** with the design the less reliable it gets. 90% of glock failures ive witnessed at pin or plate matches were from "overdone" guns.

If you really have to have a weird clone get a Shadow systems, at least they bother to test their builds.

Are you using oem strength recoil springs? A lot of people fag out on striker and recoil springs and get donkey punched while trying to use lighter ones.

The picture makes it look like an issue with the rim sliding under the extractor. I would look there first. Make sure there are no sharp edge on the bottom leading edge of the extractor. Or that the extractor isn't too far over

Last edited:
The picture makes it look like an issue with the rim sliding under the extractor. I would look there first. Make sure there are no sharp edge on the bottom leading edge of the extractor. Or that the extractor isn't too far over

I’m now leaning towards this being an extractor issue. Every time it appears the casing is caught on the extractor. I also notice gold shavings in my chamber as if the extractor is chewing up the casings.

What are my options for fixing the extractor binding on the casing. This never used to happen so I think I can rule out an out of spec slide or extractor. I also cleaned the extractor as well.

Curious my options before dropping 60 bucks on the Apex extractor.

I would get a glock extractor plus plunger and spring first. See if that works. Or you could put a slight bevel in the bottom of the extractor hook and gap where the case rides up

first of all it is not a Glock

Glocks rarely have FTF issues.

You have a hodgepodge of parts put together to resemble a Gucci gun.

Do you have a complete stock Glock slide assy to try on the lower?

A Lower to try on the upper?
all true, but, 2 last hodgepodges from aimsurplus did shoot flawlessly. accuracy was way less stellar than from gen5 stock, but, no issues with cycling at all.

Back
Top Bottom