• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock barrel question

I'm going to try my hand at building a Polymer80 Glock frame.
I have ordered the frame that can do either a G19 or 23.
I'd rather do the 40 over the 9 since I already have mags for the 40.

My "thing" when building is to take my time and search the sales and deals. I'm seeing many G19 slides and barrels, or complete slides.
What I'm seeing is very limited slide options for the 23.

I'd like to know if an aftermarket G23 barrel fits and works in an aftermarket G19 slide.

I already own a G27(baby Glock) and have an aftermarket 357 Sig barrel and I have seen drop-in 9mm conversion barrels for the G27.
I'm just not sure if the 23 barrel can be used with the 19 slide.

RC

The breechface on the 19 slide is sized for 9mm, so you are not going to put a G23 fotay bbl on it and shoot fotays through that gun.

The worst hack job in this genre was a 40S&W comp gun a friend had built.

1. The slide had a 45 breechface, but an extractor designed to hold a 40
2. The hole in the comp was sized for a 45 bullet

All from the shop of Les Baer. I think I still have the slide somewhere in my safe - engraved with Baer 40S&W with the 45 breechface

Yeah I'm all over Gunbroker and Ebay. I'm either going to piece it all together or buy a complete slide.

I'm trying to do it on "the low price" - not to be confused with "the cheap". I'm also being limited by wanting an OD slide too.

Right now I'm checking prices. That, then, moves to adding it all up, then comparing auction shipping, and then comparing it all to complete units.
The whole completed price will not be compared to a complete over-the-counter Glock! This will have a custom slide plus paperless.

RC

Yeah I'm all over Gunbroker and Ebay. I'm either going to piece it all together or buy a complete slide.

I'm trying to do it on "the low price" - not to be confused with "the cheap". I'm also being limited by wanting an OD slide too.

Right now I'm checking prices. That, then, moves to adding it all up, then comparing auction shipping, and then comparing it all to complete units.
The whole completed price will not be compared to a complete over-the-counter Glock! This will have a custom slide plus paperless.

RC

As you have already found out, a custom slide is going to make your task more difficult and most likely increase your cost. GB does have a Gen 23 custom slide listed for $229 that could be cerakoted OD but I don't know if this customization meets what you want.

I don't have a problem buying a take-off slide but I'm going for a slide and barrel with NO serial numbers. Glock marks all major parts.
I may have it Cerakoted later. I live near Trident Armory in the Bangor Maine area and they do good work.

RC

I had a .357 Glock years ago. I wanted to shoot 9mm (for the cost). I picked up a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel. The barrel hood was slightly longer, to fit in the cut out that the .357Sig (and .40S&W) barrels would use. I also picked up a 9mm extractor, but after a while just stayed with using the original .357SIG/.40S&W extractor since switching took a while. I never had an issue with the difference in sizes of the breech face (didn't know that there was a difference). I would say that using the 9mm slide for .40 wouldn't work, since it would have too short/narrow of an opening.

That is until you file the required eFA-10 after building the gun [laugh]
I don't have a problem buying a take-off slide but I'm going for a slide and barrel with NO serial numbers. Glock marks all major parts. [/quoe]
Slides and barrels with a single character serial number prefix have never been part of a complete gun prior to leaving Glock.

FUNNY!! Not unless its my INTENT to build this to sell. I don't sell anything
If you are talking about the law, the lack of intent to sell does not legally relieve one of the obligation under MA law to eFA-10 a homemade firearm, rifle or shotgun once complete.

You must not only not intend to sell it, but if you made it for personal use you MAY NOT sell it under federal law unless you have an 07 FFL.

Yeah, I know .... pesky details.

I had a .357 Glock years ago. I wanted to shoot 9mm (for the cost). I picked up a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel. The barrel hood was slightly longer, to fit in the cut out that the .357Sig (and .40S&W) barrels would use. I also picked up a 9mm extractor, but after a while just stayed with using the original .357SIG/.40S&W extractor since switching took a while. I never had an issue with the difference in sizes of the breech face (didn't know that there was a difference). I would say that using the 9mm slide for .40 wouldn't work, since it would have too short/narrow of an opening.

Yep. You're going forwards. He was thinking of going backwards - putting a 40cal barrel in a 9mm slide.

And I don't get the "paperless" gun thing. If MA is gonna come for your guns, they aren't going to have a good list. It's not like every gun you own pops up on the computer in the squad car for them to cross-reference. So if they're coming for one, they're coming for all. Unless you take that gun and bury it in the back yard. And if it's time to bury guns. . . yada yada.

It’s just the fun of building your own.
I’ve built AKs, ARs, an UZI, belted. Modified ARs and AKs, shotguns. Had a custom 1911 long slide built for me as well as a Krinkov.
I like building.

RC

You can't find a barrel because nobody builds a glock in 40 on purpose much anymore.... [laugh]

And I don't get the "paperless" gun thing. If MA is gonna come for your guns, they aren't going to have a good list. It's not like every gun you own pops up on the computer in the squad car for them to cross-reference. So if they're coming for one, they're coming for all. Unless you take that gun and bury it in the back yard. And if it's time to bury guns. . . yada yada.

Yes, but bear in mind that some folks don't put all their eggs in one basket, ill just leave it at that.

Also keep in mind that the outside diameter of the .40 barrel is larger than the 9mm barrel. So the hole in the slide is correspondingly larger.

The nice thing about this is if you like a nose heavy gun and buy a .40, but put a 9mm conversion barrel in it. YOu get a gun with a .40 cal barrel OD with a 9mm hole in it.

I have a G35 set up this way and prefer it to a 34.

I never liked the Glock until they made the G26-27.
I wasn't going to waste my time buying a 9mm. I'll go with the 10mm short, also known as the 40sw.
I love how people hate the 40, I guess they just can't handle the quick snap of the recoil. Weak wrists.
I wanted to get the gun in .45 but that caliber was much larger than the 26-27.

RC

Back
Top Bottom