• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock and USPSA Production

Are you running that year round? I would imagine those are a little stout in the winter time????

From my experience WSF is very temperature sensetive. Right now i am running 6.8 grn of WSF in the winter and 7.1 grn in the summer topped with a 124 zero JHP. This makes major in both climates and comes right from SJC. I had a buddy who learned this the hard way. Was making major with some to spare in cool Maine with 6.8 grn and then shot a match in SC in 90 degree heat and came in under PF.

Edit: my receipe is with Federal Rifle Primers so that may be where we differ.

Well, I keep a record of all of my chrono sessions...which isn't many...and looked to see the last few times I chronoed this recipe. The difference is on those I used WSP, not federal spps.

These first two were done in New Mexico.

low 40s sunny- low 1402 high 1497 avg 1458 - 176 PF

high 80s sunny - low 1362 high 1438 avg 1405 - 170 PF

Last Sunday - 60s cloudy - low 1385 high 1437 avg 1413 - 170 PF

Don't know how much primers make a difference, never really been below the major 165 PF...though I have been close to it. It's weird that a sunny 80 degree weather day would have the same PF as a cloudy muggy 60 degree day...maybe humidity is a factor?

Well, I keep a record of all of my chrono sessions...which isn't many...and looked to see the last few times I chronoed this recipe. The difference is on those I used WSP, not federal spps.

These first two were done in New Mexico.

low 40s sunny- low 1402 high 1497 avg 1458 - 176 PF

high 80s sunny - low 1362 high 1438 avg 1405 - 170 PF

Last Sunday - 60s cloudy - low 1385 high 1437 avg 1413 - 170 PF

Don't know how much primers make a difference, never really been below the major 165 PF...though I have been close to it. It's weird that a sunny 80 degree weather day would have the same PF as a cloudy muggy 60 degree day...maybe humidity is a factor?

Interesting. Yes I do beleive humidity is a huge factor.

Chronos can vary quite a bit too and will read differently depending on lighting. (Unless in a box)
I'm happy to see some local matches throw the chrono stage in there once in a while.

I don't think chrono stages belong at local matches where there is nothing at stake. The extra stage wastes too much time.

Thread drift - sorry, but Gammon's right.

Running a chrono properly requires redundant equipment, accurate equipment, people with the skill sets to safely operate that equipment and all the types of pistols tested (you just don't grab a $4000 custom 1911 and handle it improperly and you've got to know how to operate safeties on a lot of pistols, etc,), a dedicated range or pit, people with people skills and patience. It's a lot of work.

If it's not done properly, it's a waste of time.

It requires a lot of time.

Honest people will almost always make power factor. Dishonest people will always make power factor (it's easy to cheat if you want to - me, I kinda believe in karma - what goes around comes around). Half of the clueless (no insult intended - some people just have no idea about power factor and their ammo) will make power factor. Most of the ones that don't, won't care.

For a local match - just not worth it.

Last edited:
I have one and I like it. I've had it for 2 years now in my G34. If I were to do it over again I'm not so sure I'd spend the money for it. If you install a 3.5 lb connector and Wolff reduced power spring kit in your Glock you will have a nice light trigger. Combine that with the infamous Glock $ .25 trigger job and you are good to go for about $25. My Vanek cost me $130 delivered.

-Cuz

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/nroi_rulings.php?action=edit&indx=19

"Interpretation:

Appendix D4 Production Division 21 "External modifications other than sights not allowed." This clause is not meant to prohibit exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun. Exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun from the same manufacturer is allowed, providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria. The following original manufacturer parts may be exchanged: Extended mag release, extended slide stop and external safeties including ambidextrious, provided they stay within the intent of the division. No added weights, no mag well attachments, no thumb rest or external devices used to help reduce recoil and/or muzzle flip may be exchanged. "

Does this mean I can put an OEM extended mag release on my G17 because a G34 is approved and comes with one? If this is true, it seems that you can put a G34 top end on a G17 frame.

Back
Top Bottom