• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock Ammo

Hello, i just bought my first glock(19) and dont know much about them. My main concern is what type of ammo should i avoid using? Four seasons glock page says to never use reloaded and non jacketed ammo, is this true? I was at walmart the other day to get some ammo but all they had was the remington umc 250 box, it was a good deal but it was not jacketed ammo(clerk said and doesnt say fmj on box). I dont remember what the "u" standed for the the rest was "metal case" was this something that would of been ok to use? Thanks in advance.

Reloads are fine if they're made right.

I would stay away from lead unless you're the person casting and loading the bullets. Lead can work in a Glock but if you are a newb I wouldn't do it.

Otherwise, Glocks pretty much eat anything- even Wolf and the other steel case garbage, no problem... UMC is weak but it'll work fine, too. My recommendation is the cheap federal stuff from Walmart for practice, and for carry, use Speer Gold Dots in 124 gr in std. or +P pressure. (Glocks don't really even care about +P or +P+.... don't worry about wearing it out, it won't care. )

-Mike

Hello, i just bought my first glock(19) and dont know much about them. My main concern is what type of ammo should i avoid using? Four seasons glock page says to never use reloaded and non jacketed ammo, is this true? I was at walmart the other day to get some ammo but all they had was the remington umc 250 box, it was a good deal but it was not jacketed ammo(clerk said and doesnt say fmj on box). I dont remember what the "u" standed for the the rest was "metal case" was this something that would of been ok to use? Thanks in advance.

The bright yellow box? In .40, it's FMJ. I wouldn't imagine it's different in 9mm. If you want to take a peek, ask the clerk to take a box out so you can peek inside. I did. =)

Umc 250 box 9 is fmj I buy them sometime if you want the cheapest is Tula also at walmart and they are fmj don't need to buy something high price for range use

I've never seen UMC that wasn't FMJ. Of course, it was still UMC, and therefore crap....

Can't say I've ever had a problem with UMC and I've found it to be cleaner than WWB and Federal.

To the OP, UMC stands for Union Metallic Cartridge Co.

Every UMC round that i have used hase been good quality, brass cased, full metal Jacket. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price is decent. Before I started reloading, it was my go-to round in 45ACP.

I doubt you will come across much (if any) lead 9mm that has been commercially loaded.

Last edited:
Tip #1) Don't take advice from a gun shop (they are out to sell product)
Tip #2) Don't take direction from walmart employees they are not their for their knowledge by any means
Tip #3) Take the advice from many Glock users here on the board

I shoot reloads out of my glock - my reloads but still reloads.
Buy any of the bulk packs at Walmart - they are all generally going to be FMJ unless the package says otherwise. You can ask a store employee to open the box and look at them. Tell him you had problems with what another store sold you and you want to make sure you getting the right product.

My two cents revolve around hollow points. Even though they are expensive, buy a lot of them. Shoot them. Make sure they work primo in your Glock.

I felt a damned fool when I tried to put Federal hollow points downrange in my Glock 23. Not a good match at all.

Tip #2) Don't take direction from walmart employees they are not their for their knowledge by any means

I shoot reloads out of my glock - my reloads but still reloads.
Buy any of the bulk packs at Walmart - they are all generally going to be FMJ unless the package says otherwise. You can ask a store employee to open the box and look at them. Tell him you had problems with what another store sold you and you want to make sure you getting the right product.

^This

In my experience you have to go out of your way to find lead non-jacketed 9mm. You do find quite a bit of revolver and 22lr lead ammo however.

Dirtypacman:2178182 said:

True..thats why i started this thread. I dont reload so i wont have a problem with that. There was no indication that the umc yellow box ammo was fmj but ill trust you guys cuz you all would no better than a walmart clerk and myself(newbie). Tula ammo, just very dirty stuff rite? I tried those on my bg380 and at least 2 out of each mag were crap and didnt go off(dont know the correct term).

So some companies have a slightly different terminology for FMJ. UMC used MC - metallic cartridge. Speer, Federal and CCI use FMJ or TMJ - TMJ is Total Metal Jacket. Winchester has some loads caled BEB - Brass Enclosed Base. You can also have JSP, JHP, and SJHP - these are jacketed soft point, jacketed hollowpoint, and semi jacketed hollowpoint. You may also run into something called Nyclad - which is a nylon coated lead bullet. For lead ammo in a 9mm - you are likely to run into LRN which is lead round nose. Get into some larger calibers or revolvers and you will have LHP, LSWCHP, LSWC, and Wad Cutter. The terminology can be difficult for those old and new. You may be served well by researching from each company what loads they have in a particular caliber - and keep those in mind. UMC is Remington for instance.

I like the guys who work at Dick's in Brockton, they know there stuff, and will give you honest advice

yeah any kind of fmj round works well... never had an issue out of any of my glocks just with the type of rifeling they use, dont shoot lead unless its an aftermarket barrel

I've never had any problem with any ammo, in any Glock. The reason to stay away from lead is, the rifling of the barrel (glock factory) is different from others, causing the lead to build up. Any decent aftermarket barrel (KKM, Lone Wolf, EFK) will be fine to shoot lead from. Good luck, and enjoy the G19! Great gun.

Let me start by saying, great choice on the G19,
I had one of my own and absolutely loved it! Like everybody
else was saying, most of the commercial ammo at walmart,
Dicks, and your local gun shops, your glock will
eat it up no problems. Remington are a great choice, weak but cleaner
than others. Winchester is also great, little more powerful than Remington.
Tula feeds also with no problems, ask josei710. He almost uses This ammo
exclusively. It's also the most economic

Back
Top Bottom