Glock 9 or 40

OK kids 99.999% of the Glock KB's are from setback from repeated rechambering of a round, or using reloads that have been packed a bit to hot.

I have a G22 ( third generation)and have no problem with it. I wouldn't do a 9 conversion with an aftermarket barrel because of the extractor issue, but you can swap barrels and be shooting .357Sig reliably in no time at all.

I have also owned Glocks in 9mm with no problem.

Personally, since you are in MA I'd skip the Glock and buy a Sig in 40.
NO Glock is worth more than the new retail price (525 dollars +/-) and the MA used Glock prices are INSANE. I'd buy a new M&P or XD MA compliant before spending premium money on a non premium gun.

MA Glocks third gens at least are pricey but a MA compliant XD is even more , America's Armed in Milton had two MA compliant XD's both were $1000 each , I think 3rd Gen Glocks can be had for much less than that

I have second Gen Glock 22 and 17 and I paid $469 and $410 respectively which isn't to bad , I traded a Bushmaster AR15 for a XD 45 I had about $1400 into that Bushy and the XD was worth every penny of it , it sucks I can go to near by state and buy one for $500 but that's the price we pay for living behind enemy lines , NH is looking better and better after reading these boards lol

I find glocks to be like Harleys, either swear by them or swear at them. I owned 3 - G19 at one time. I think the G19 is the best all around model to own. My son and son-in-law are where 2 of those guns went. Son-in-law wanted a G23 and I told him try the G19, you can always move it and get a G23 but 19's in great shape are harder to come by. Just last week he told me he would keep the 19 and get a 45caliber next. Son just picked up a G21 and is enjoying it.* My 15 year old can group tighter than I with my 3rd gen 19 that I kept. I happen to like glocks & sigs. I am now down to 6 glocks from 9 a few months ago but have owned many.and still look for clean glocks for good money. Down to keepers now.Full size I still prefer my sig226 over G17. Sold my 3rd gen G30 and regret doing it and will replace if possible. Still think sig245 SS still carries better but G30 with light is a better choice for bedroom safe.*()few more rounds** Sidearm in the woods is a G20C - 10mm with 2- 15 round mags. BEWARE GLOCKS ARE ADDICTIVE!** BRRG26,G27,G19,G32,G23-all 3rd gen & G20C

If your going to shoot with it alot go 40 i have a g23 and love it, took a lil to get use to as it was a switch from a g19 but after i got the hang of how 40 felt in the same gun i wouldnt trade it.

and i agree glocks are very addictive i currently own 4 and 3rd gen 23 and 30 ad second gen 19 and 26 and im LOOKIN for more...

Last edited:
Oh great a caliber debate thread! [laugh]

If it was me I'd get a G19.

-Mike

OK kids 99.999% of the Glock KB's are from setback from repeated rechambering of a round, or using reloads that have been packed a bit to hot.
Could you tell me where you got the 99.999% figure, or are you one of the 83.2945% of internet posters who make up statisics on the spot?[grin]

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:
Could you tell me where you got the 99.999% figure, or are you one of the 83.2945% of internet posters who make up statisics on the spot?[grin]

Respectfully,
jkelly

Almost everything I have ever read on a Glock 40 failing has been because of reloaded ammo or the setback issue, which is a function of the steep ramp angle. I have seen very little validation of the under supported case issue being the cause of the dreaded Glock KB.

Can you show me where there is a inherent structural defect that would cause the gun to fail? I have never seen that there is a material failure or design error that causes a Glock to blow up.
What I have seen is setback and reloads.

If I thought for a second my Glock 22 was not safe it would be cut up into 4 pieces and sitting in a shoe box.

Is the Glock 40 the best .40 ever made? Not by a long shot. There are far better .40's out there, almost any Sig being a good example, but outside of MA, Glocks are a good value for the dollar, especially for the first time buyer.

Just don't use reloads from unreliable sources or keep chambering the same round in and out of the gun.

Almost everything I have ever read on a Glock 40 failing has been because of reloaded ammo or the setback issue, which is a function of the steep ramp angle. I have seen very little validation of the under supported case issue being the cause of the dreaded Glock KB.

Can you show me where there is a inherent structural defect that would cause the gun to fail? I have never seen that there is a material failure or design error that causes a Glock to blow up.
What I have seen is setback and reloads.

I don’t know any shooters who shoot a lot that don’t reload, so not reusing brass is not an option. The question is does repeatedly reloading Glock brass, cause a safety problem greater then reloading brass fired from other manufactures guns?

I’m under the impression that the Glock Ka-Boom (that is the Glock blowing up) is the breach of the case allowing for gas to be released and causing among other things the magazine, grips and ammunition to be discarded from the firearm.

Almost everything I had read about the Glock Ka-Boom seemed to suggest that it was the Glock’s under supported chamber (you can see this in the spent brass) that allowed weakened brass to breach more readily than it would in a firearm with a more conventionally supported chamber, leading to the name "Glock KA-Boom" rather the Beretta, Sig or S&W Ka-Boom.

While both your information and mine rely on the work done by others I can tell you from experience there is a significant difference in the bulge of a Glock fired piece of brass than one fired from a Para or CZ. I’ve given away a 5 gallon bucket of (mostly) Glock fired brass as well as turned down thousands of cases of once fired Glock shot brass just because its distortion made it a pain to work with.

In the last month I have relented (it’s free brass and all) and have added an undersized die to my loading set up (there was a nice little cottage industry in making dies to deal with Glock fired brass), but I still don’t like reloading Glock fired brass.

I’ve seen (or been near) three Glock 40 S&W Ka-Booms. One shooter suggested his loads might have been hot.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I've fired plenty of my mild reloads through my Glock 34 and now sold Glock 17. I've no intentions of firing reloads (mine or anyone else's) through my Glock 23. YMMV.

I have an aftermarket barrel in my G22 so in theory it resolves the reload issue and the amount of unsupported case is reduced

i have a Glock 27 in .40 SW and i think it is a incredible gun. it has good power, and is easy to handle once you get the hang of the lack of grip.

i also have a Glock 32 in .357 Sig which is another good gun, and so is my Glock 30SF in .45 ACP.

every glock i own i love, and every glock i try i also love.

definitely go for the .40 if you plan on carrying it. if you just want a range gun youd be fine with a 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom