• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 9 or 40

FLHTC

NES Member
I think I need a Glock in my stable, what shall it be a 9mm or .40cal; any thoughs?

9mm is cheaper to shoot and doesn't have the Ka-boom stigma that the 40 does.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I'm not opposed to the 10mm but I think I would like that in a Colt Delta Elite.

Get a .40 and a 9mm Conversion barrel. Best of both worlds. You can't go up from 9 to 40 though.

Or do what I did. I have a .357 sig(G-32) with a .40 Remsport Barrel and a 9mm Remsport Conversion barrel.

3 guns in one. No Kabooms.

However, if you just want one. I can't say enough about the G-19 I had. Sold it due to the G-32 purchase but I not once had a single issue with the G-19.

Get a .40 and a 9mm Conversion barrel. Best of both worlds. You can't go up from 9 to 40 though.

Or do what I did. I have a .357 sig(G-32) with a .40 Remsport Barrel and a 9mm Remsport Conversion barrel.

However, if you just want one. I can't say enough about the G-19 I had. Sold it due to the G-32 purchase but I not once had a single issue with the G-19.

+++ yes!

i have my G23 w / 2ea., 10rd 9mm mags (G19) and Lonewolf 9mm conversion barrel.

not ONE hiccup and or kaboom either

If it's for self defense, I'd get the 40 and for cheap practice I'd get an Advantage Arms .22 kit. The latest stats on police shootings show that the 40 is disappointing. This may be true but it's still more powerful than the 9mm. I agree with 45 collector. I carry a Kahr p45. It's the size of the Glock 26/27 but in .45acp. It only holds 7 rounds but if that's not enough, I'm in trouble anyway.

I'd have to say either a .40S&W or .357sig Glock. Either can take the others barrels and shoot with no other modifications and both can take 40-to-9 conversion barrels. I have a G24 upper for my G22 frame and I have a 6" ported 40-9 conversion barrel and a 6" .357sig barrel for it.

How does this work w/o having to change the extractor??
at least from 40 to 9mm??

And if you could go that kind of route, could you get a 45 or 10mm and convert to 40/357 and 9mm??

I have owned both the G23 and the G19.

I've realized I really don't care for .40 at all.
Stupidly I sold my 19 for a 34. I should have just waited and saved for the 34. I hope to buy another G19 soon.

When you do a conversion from the 40 to 9 you don't need to change anything except the barrel and mag.

I had one. It worked ok. I just would prefer two separate pistols.

If you had a choice between the 23 and the 19? Get both.

Actually, I forgot about the ability to convert. With that in mind, I'd go for a G23. They're way more plentiful in this state and will give you more caliber choices.

oh, just remembered,

there was a thread on glock talk about buying a G19 slide & barrel and placing it on a G23 frame.

i thought hmmmm - good idea fairy

but anyway,

the Glock "Fotay"s are definatley the most versatile in the caliber conversion.... or the .357 sig ones too.

My buddy has the G23 (.40) and it is a sweet gun to shoot. I personally love it and plan on saving up to get one as my CCW. I can get fairly accurate groupings with it and just enjoy the way it feels and shoots.

Do you look at your hand and say "I think 5 is too many" ?
Do you light firecrackers, but not throw them?
Do you enjoy the smell of burning plastic?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the Glock 40 is for you

How does this work w/o having to change the extractor??
at least from 40 to 9mm??

And if you could go that kind of route, could you get a 45 or 10mm and convert to 40/357 and 9mm??

The extractor isn't perfect when you convert. This will lead to some failure to ejects. On mine it happens ever so often, not enough to be annoying. Considering the only time I'm running 9mm through it is when I'm at the range I'm not concerned about it being perfectly reliable with the 9mm.

I carry it in .357 sig on the way to the range, Then drop the 9mm barrel in it and shoot the 9mm. Pop the .357 sig barrel back in and carry it home.

the .40 and .357 have the same extractor so it will be reliable.

The hot setup I would really like is a G-19 slide, Match Grade Barrel with titanium firing pin, but I haven't seen one available anywhere. Not for a price that makes it worth while. For the prices I've seen I would rather just buy another G-19.

As for the Kabooms, any gun that you have a not fully supported cartridge using really hot loads and running unjacketed lead can have the same issue. The Match Grade .40 barrel isn't fully supported but it is more supported then the stock .40 barrel. I don't run anything but FMJ, don't go anywhere near max when I reload and pay close attention to the Brass.

I've done tons of internet research on Kabooms after reading so many people talk about them here. I'm really not that worried.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

The latest stats on police shootings show that the 40 is disappointing. This may be true but it's still more powerful than the 9mm.

Reference?

I have a G24 upper for my G22 frame and I have a 6" ported 40-9 conversion barrel and a 6" .357sig barrel for it.

And it's freaking awesome, let me tell you.

To the OP, G19's seem to be harder to come by here in Mass., which is good if you want to re-sell it, but bad if you want to pick one up cheap.

My vote? Do what I did, all three sizes of .357 Glock. [smile]

Is there a source for uppers out there at this point?
I got a g33 upper for my g26 a long time ago but they seem to be un available now.

I would love to grab a 29 or 30 if I could find uppers as well.

OK kids 99.999% of the Glock KB's are from setback from repeated rechambering of a round, or using reloads that have been packed a bit to hot.

I have a G22 ( third generation)and have no problem with it. I wouldn't do a 9 conversion with an aftermarket barrel because of the extractor issue, but you can swap barrels and be shooting .357Sig reliably in no time at all.

I have also owned Glocks in 9mm with no problem.

Personally, since you are in MA I'd skip the Glock and buy a Sig in 40.
NO Glock is worth more than the new retail price (525 dollars +/-) and the MA used Glock prices are INSANE. I'd buy a new M&P or XD MA compliant before spending premium money on a non premium gun.

I would go with the 9mm. There's little to gain with the .40 from a performance viewpoint, given the excellent JHP ammo available today like HST, Gold Dot, etc. And usually going with .40 means you give up a round or two in mag capacity.

I've also read (and experienced first hand) that the .40 round is hard to make feed and chamber reliably. Compare the .40 round to almost any other caliber and you'll see how truncated it is, almost like a wadcutter. I'm amazed that any gun can feed it well. 9mm on the other hand, is argueably the most reliable feeding round, not surprisingly since it has a very gradual radius at its tip.

Back
Top Bottom