• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 43X trigger SUCKS and hurts my finger - Can I replace it with a better one?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
OK, stop goggling. I know that anyone who knows me is in shock, but I have a Glock now. (I won it in a drawing courtesy of the UVM Pistol Team and Glock, Inc).

So... I took it out to the side yard range yesterday, and while it shoots nice... that trigger blows goats. It's awful. Hard, and that so-called "safety" sticks up and hurts my trigger finger.

The 43X fits my hand very nicely, and I'm leaning towards keeping it... but that trigger has GOT to go.

Who makes a trigger that has a "safety" that fits flush to the trigger when it's pulled? And is ACTUALLY 5.5 lbs? (cause that thing is no way 5.5 lbs - it stacks like crazy.) I did see a thread that mentioned the OC Custom Trigger, and I'm doing some research on it right now. (anyone got any suggestions on what options they have that are worth ordering? I see that a $45 trigger can go for well over $100 depending on what you get for it.)

Nah... they hate me because I suck.

And I doubt I'm going to get a free HundK, too.

Nah, I'd like to keep the Glock, but that trigger can go right into the burn pile in the yard. Or on GunBroker.

OK, stop goggling. I know that anyone who knows me is in shock, but I have a Glock now. (I won it in a drawing courtesy of the UVM Pistol Team and Glock, Inc).

So... I took it out to the side yard range yesterday, and while it shoots nice... that trigger blows goats. It's awful. Hard, and that so-called "safety" sticks up and hurts my trigger finger.

The 43X fits my hand very nicely, and I'm leaning towards keeping it... but that trigger has GOT to go.

Who makes a trigger that has a "safety" that fits flush to the trigger when it's pulled? And is ACTUALLY 5.5 lbs? (cause that thing is no way 5.5 lbs - it stacks like crazy.) I did see a thread that mentioned the OC Custom Trigger, and I'm doing some research on it right now. (anyone got any suggestions on what options they have that are worth ordering? I see that a $45 trigger can go for well over $100 depending on what you get for it.)

I run Orange County custom triggers in all of my Glocks. The only mod worth spending any money on, is the flush safety mod that they do. That should solve your issue

the 43x hurts your finger due to lighter slide mass -> faster slide cycling and lightweight pistol pushing a 9mm - momentum is conserved
regardless, easy solutions including 1) filing down the trigger dingus so it sits flush with the trigger when depressed or 2) installing an apex trigger bar (it's an OEM trigger bar just different trigger)
i do not perform any glock modifications other than a few trustworthy connectors or aftermarket trigger shoes. springs or any other parts no thanks.
the apex is probably going to be your preferred option although I do find it annoying that it takes up more room in trigger guard
the trigger will feel like it breaks farther forward. if have big hands that may be nice.

can swap in a lighter connector will soften the wall a bit
the other gen 5 triggers are superior to the G43x/G48. for example my G45 and G19.5 have stupid nice OEM triggers but the 43x (which I never carry) also sucks. it's one of the many reasons I think the 19 rules over a 43x/48. the heavier slide makes it more reliable.

I agree with you on the trigger, it kept blistering my finger. I replaced it with:

and all is good now. Not to hard to do after watching a few YouTube videos

I hate Glock triggers.

When I got my G43 I swapped out the trigger for a Pyramid Trigger Kit from The Glock Store, put in a Tungsten guide rod and some decent sights and now, for me at least, it’s near perfect.

I don’t run with it like some of my co-patriots here but it does shoot a helluva lot better and 100% more comfortable on your trigger finger.

Toughen up that finger.
🖕
Step one grow pair of testicles... step 2 reapply for man card.

Kidding get a ghost connector and hyve trigger
🖕 Kidding.
Ghost Connector / Hyve trigger

There is a trigger upgrade. It's called the "365", made by Sig.
Have one already. I like it. But I'd like to see if the FREE GLOCK can be made to function properly. IE; Can a 1911 guy find happiness with Austrian tupperware?

installing an apex trigger bar (it's an OEM trigger bar just different trigger)
Apex. Knew they did S&W, didn't know they did Glock

I agree with you on the trigger, it kept blistering my finger. I replaced it with:

and all is good now. Not to hard to do after watching a few YouTube videos
Lone Wolf

I hate Glock triggers.

When I got my G43 I swapped out the trigger for a Pyramid Trigger Kit from The Glock Store, put in a Tungsten guide rod and some decent sights and now, for me at least, it’s near perfect.

I don’t run with it like some of my co-patriots here but it does shoot a helluva lot better and 100% more comfortable on your trigger finger.
Pyramid

So. Potential candidates are:

OC
Hyve trigger
Apex
Lone Wolf
Pyramid

Thanks for the feedback. I see I have some reading to do. I'll update when I figure out what I'm going to do.

I've never had a problem with the triggers but I have noticed the curved glock trigger is more comfortable than the "grooved" one...

-Mike

the 43x hurts your finger due to lighter slide mass -> faster slide cycling and lightweight pistol pushing a 9mm - momentum is conserved

Meh, I think it's less scientific than that, more like some ergonomic thing, with some peoples hands and some triggers. I've never been beat up with my G43 or G48, and both are
bone stock. On the other hand my P320's will beat up my trigger finger pretty quickly to the point that I get a small blister/callous out of it.

-Mike

The trigger safety sticks out a little proud when fully depressed. That always bruised my finger.

So I wrapped some sandpaper around a dowel and sanded down the safety lever until it *JUST BARELY* protruded from the trigger's face when fully depressed.

There's still *plenty* of meat there for its intended function, and it functions flawlessly. (still blocks the trigger's movement when out, easily clears the frame when pushing on the trigger with your finger.)

And I stopped getting bruises.

I'll take pictures if you want.

Oh, the smooth triggers are less bitey than the serrated ones. They're easy to swap out and don't cost much.

On the more expensive end. Overwatch triggers are amazing and have this nice little hook at the bottom to keep your finger in the spot with best leverage

Meh, I think it's less scientific than that, more like some ergonomic thing, with some peoples hands and some triggers. I've never been beat up with my G43 or G48, and both are
bone stock. On the other hand my P320's will beat up my trigger finger pretty quickly to the point that I get a small blister/callous out of it.

-Mike

i have never had trigger finger sting except with the 43x. any other model including 43 and 48 are fine for me. theres fairly solid amount of testing on PF where it appears these glock micro 9’s are at the edge of reliability due to shortened cycling time. momentum is conserved. drop slide mass and u just increased velocity. now weather this issue is causing trigger finger bite is my speculation although I am led to believe similar phenomenon is causing both.

that being said all these little pistols blow compared to a 17/19 or a decent TDA. the XDE has replaced my need for a 43 or 43x. the 48 on the other hand is interested but I dont own one and not worth the expense.

i have never had trigger finger sting except with the 43x. any other model including 43 and 48 are fine for me. theres fairly solid amount of testing on PF where it appears these glock micro 9’s are at the edge of reliability due to shortened cycling time. momentum is conserved. drop slide mass and u just increased velocity. now weather this issue is causing trigger finger bite is my speculation.

Why is the slide velocity different between a 43 and a 43X?

-Mike

Why is the slide velocity different between a 43 and a 43X?

-Mike

its not
the grip is held tighter so more of the slide rearward/forward impact is “felt” on the trigger finger

either slow down the slide (eg 19) problem fixed

or let the frame move around more a la 43

ultimately the design flaw to all striker pistols is that they cock on closing. thus the RSA has to overcome the striker spring while going into battery. the consequence is that one must run a heavier RSA to ensure both striker cocking and fully into battery. a good example is the VP9 as HK learned they had to go full retard on the RSA to ensure cocking of their full retard striker spring.

on an SFA when you try dropping the slide mass (eg G43) now youve got a light slide w heavy spring which equates to extremely short cycling time. these pistols will therefore be much more dependent on magazine springs and RSA. the only real solution for a SFA is to ensure it has enough slide mass to slow itself down. Glock tried to band aid the G43 problem with a relatively light RSA but the problem there is feeding and battery issues. folks who run these guns hard have to replace the RSA more frequently than glock “suggests”. its no coincidence.

in contrast a TDA or hammer-SA cocks on opening so the RSA only has to bring slide into battery. so you can run a lighter RSA (which they all do) to achieve a slower and more reliable cycling time. one of several reasons why so many have gone back to TDAs.

Last edited:
On the other hand my P320's will beat up my trigger finger pretty quickly to the point that I get a small blister/callous out of it.

And my M17 is bone stock and I can shoot it all day with no problem.

The trigger safety sticks out a little proud when fully depressed. That always bruised my finger.
So I wrapped some sandpaper around a dowel and sanded down the safety lever until it *JUST BARELY* protruded from the trigger's face when fully depressed.

No need for pictures, though I do thank you for the offer. I debated doing that and decided against it mainly because the trigger pull will still suck. If I'm going to modify this thing, I'd rather address both issues at the same time.

ultimately the design flaw to all striker pistols is that they cock on closing. thus the RSA has to overcome the striker spring while going into battery. the consequence is that one must run a heavier RSA to ensure both striker cocking and fully into battery. a good example is the VP9 as HK learned they had to go full retard on the RSA to ensure cocking of their full retard striker spring.

on an SFA when you try dropping the slide mass (eg G43) now youve got a light slide w heavy spring which equates to extremely short cycling time. these pistols will therefore be much more dependent on magazine springs and RSA. the only real solution for a SFA is to ensure it has enough slide mass to slow itself down. Glock tried to band aid the G43 problem with a relatively light RSA but the problem there is feeding and battery issues. folks who run these guns hard have to replace the RSA more frequently than glock “suggests”. its no coincidence.

in contrast a TDA or hammer-SA cocks on opening so the RSA only has to bring slide into battery. so you can run a lighter RSA (which they all do) to achieve a slower and more reliable cycling time. one of several reasons why so many have gone back to TDAs.

What is an RSA? That's a TLA I'm not familiar with.

the grip is held tighter so more of the slide rearward/forward impact is “felt” on the trigger finger

This kinda makes some sense, at least.

one of several reasons why so many have gone back to TDAs.

This isn't a real "trend" I'm aware of.... [rofl]

Maybe you did, but everyone else certainly hasn't.

-Mike

And my M17 is bone stock and I can shoot it all day with no problem.

Admittedly, my guns are pre recall so I don't know if that will change anything, I know that they made a bunch of little subtle design changes to these things that supposedly
alleviate the trigger slap.

-Mike

Small fine file, emery cloth then polish with oil to get rid of sand dust. Just don't file too much or safety will not release. Google it it has been a problem for years.

I have replaced most of my serrated glock triggers with factory smooth triggers and installed ghost connectors. Are there G43 smooth triggers available? I think there is an Apex teigger for the G43. $100, not a bad investment if you won the gun.

Last edited:
No need for pictures, though I do thank you for the offer. I debated doing that and decided against it mainly because the trigger pull will still suck. If I'm going to modify this thing, I'd rather address both issues at the same time.

Try it first. It takes about 10 minutes, and costs nearly zero.

Try it first. It takes about 10 minutes, and costs nearly zero.
It doesn't really seem to be worth the effort. As I said in my original post, the trigger pull itself is awful - it stacks something fierce. Hell, I've sold HiPoint carbines with better trigger pulls!

Back
Top Bottom