• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 42 Reliability?

Been checking U Tube and it seems there's a few glitches with the 42. Even Hickok had a problem with Buffalo bore ammo with his 42. Other than that his was good.
I like the 26 but was thinking a 42 for pocket carry in the summer. want the lightest I can find in a Glock.

Some came out with issues plus the magazines also had a couple of revisions.
Mine went back. Haven't had a problem since.

I do stick with 03 rev mags just for piece of mind.

Been checking U Tube and it seems there's a few glitches with the 42. Even Hickok had a problem with Buffalo bore ammo with his 42. Other than that his was good.
I like the 26 but was thinking a 42 for pocket carry in the summer. want the lightest I can find in a Glock.

You might take a look at the 43 instead. It's not much larger and it's a 9mm instead of a .380. I had the 42, I traded it in as soon as the 43 came out.

No issues with my 42. It is my daily summer carry. It is smaller than the 19s or the 43. It seems to me you want a nice lightweight gun for those hot days. I think you will enjoy the 42 for the ease of carry

Had 2 G42's and both were 100%. Only reason I got rid of it was that I traded one for a G17 and the other was replaced by a Ruger LCPII since it fits in the pocket of jeans in the winter (summer shorts had bigger pockets, and easily fit the 42. Looooooovvveeeed shooting them. Super easy on recoil and very accurate.

No issues with mine. It's like shooting a freaking BB gun.

The 42 is the smallest and lightest Glock option. I have very big hands and have no grip issues, I prefer the grip on the smaller 42 than I do the S&W Shield.

IIRC there were some issues with the original G42 magazines. it was quickly resolved and all current mags have a little #2 at the bottom of mag to indicate "gen 2 mag". aside from this the G42 is probably the most reliable .380 pistol on the market.

I have a couple 42’s no issues at all since Glock replaces all my early gen mags with newer ones. And a 43 that I haven’t shot much yet. No issues in that either. If you have a 26 I would debate the 42 vs 43. Just to keep the same caliber ammo if anything. 42 makes a great pocket pistol for me.

I have a couple 42’s no issues at all since Glock replaces all my early gen mags with newer ones. And a 43 that I haven’t shot much yet. No issues in that either. If you have a 26 I would debate the 42 vs 43. Just to keep the same caliber ammo if anything. 42 makes a great pocket pistol for me.

Yes pocket pistol when wearing shorts and a tee, I don't like the 26 on my side under a tee. I'd rather carry smaller when out fishing in my boat also. The 42 is 10 oz lighter than the 26.

My lady has one. It was put together from a mismatched slide and frame. Silver cerakote on a black frame. It had all kinds of weird malfunctions until I I took it out one day and shot the shit of it with several hundred rounds of random ass ammo. After a good cleaning we never had another issue. Seems like they just have a break in period like a lot of new guns.

Mine runs basically anything for ammo... it doesn't care.

When this gun was originally released there were some teething issues (like the first magazines, and some trigger bar issues) but that stuff was dealt with
early on. (mine had a bad trigger bar and it woudlnt reset during dry firing all the time, although in actual use, the gun always reset, lol, but I got it fixed for
nothing by a dealers glock rep. ) .

I wouldn't use it as a pocket gun but that's an "opinions vary" thing and might be different for you.

-Mike

Lucky Gunner just released a .380 video comparing all the usual suspects (p238, BG380, LCP/LCP2, Kahr CW380 and G42). They voted G42 as the best of the bunch for reliability and trigger. They also noted the only reliability issues they noticed with it were most likely due to limp wristing from newer shooters.

I have a BG380 that was gifted-transferred to me. I hate it. Long heavy trigger, light strikes, and occasional stove pipes. The only plus is that it is so small that pocket carry is almost unnoticeable, but not a good trade if it doesn't reliably fire. May be improved with replacement springs, but I don't think I'm even going to bother.

The only problems I have with my G42 are with my reloads, but I'm using CCI small pistol primers which are known for being pretty hard. The gun cycles everything I put through it but gives me light primer strikes on maybe 5% of my reloads.
One thing I would like to see for the G42 is a stouter magazine release spring though. It's a little too easy to depress it.

Back
Top Bottom