Glock 29 Fail to Feed (10mm)

In God We Trust

NES Member
I just picked up a G29 gen 4 and went to the range. I only had 20 rounds of hollow point (brand unknown) and just about every shot the round caught up on the feed ramp and the slide wouldn't close. I was able to manually push it I to battery without much effort.

I used two different mags and had the same problem. I should also say that I have never been a limp wrister and I have fired many Glocks in my life and never seen any problem with ammo. This is my first 10mm pistol however.

Since I have ruled out magazines and limp wristing? Would the culprit be ammo? Is there some other typical cause of this kind of malfunction ? The gun was bought used but was in very good condition

brand unknown? wat?

The guy I bought it off included a couple magazines worth of ammo. They were already loaded in the mags. No box and I couldn't make out the brand on the ass end of the shell casing

If didn't look high quality though. I'm gonna get some new stuff on Monday and try again, I was just kind of worried

Dude.

The ammo appeared low quality, you couldn't make out the headstamp, it was a Glock, it didn't run right, and you're asking "Why?" after only 20 rounds?

Do you seriously not know the answer to your own question? Is there any doubt in your mind, based on the information you provided, what people are going to say?

Dude.

The ammo appeared low quality, you couldn't make out the headstamp, it was a Glock, it didn't run right, and you're asking "Why?" after only 20 rounds?

Do you seriously not know the answer to your own question? Is there any doubt in your mind, based on the information you provided, what people are going to say?

Yeah I was just wondering if there was any other likely candidates. I'm not a gun smith

I have fed my other Glocks some nasty stuff and never had a problem, so it seemed strange

try other ammo. specifically FMJ to take the feedramp issue out of the picture.
also i usually cleanout the striker channel. if there's enough shit in there can cause issues going into battery.
that being said it sounds like an ammo issue.

my G29SF has fired every type of 10mm i've put into it....weak, strong, whatever it goes bang.

on unrelated note, i have been running a 30S slide on my G29SF just for fun lately at the range and find it's a fun little range gun.

You have no idea what's wrong??????? How did you rule out anything? Get some "factory ammunition" even PPU to see if that helps.

Oh dear... Get a known ammo yes, but don't get PPU and think it's going to give you any better an idea. PPU clocks 10ft.lbs. LESS than Federal Aluminum .40S&W FMJ. "Factory" 10mm loads are crap. Basically the only real ammo is Underwood and Buffalo Bore.

Well as I suspected (and the reason I started the thread) ammo does not seem to be the problem.

I tried some PPU fmj, PPU hollow point, Hornady critical defense and some Hornady custom HP.

All of them had the same problem. Here are some pics.

fe59b4a25155fbed78e97b115794e29b.jpg
6b7bd3da9bbf7a575c1d9986e0af3354.jpg
fd7232d0820470a46633b98809fc6287.jpg

Any ideas?

I just picked up a G29 gen 4 and went to the range. I only had 20 rounds of hollow point (brand unknown) and just about every shot the round caught up on the feed ramp and the slide wouldn't close. I was able to manually push it I to battery without much effort.

I used two different mags and had the same problem. I should also say that I have never been a limp wrister and I have fired many Glocks in my life and never seen any problem with ammo. This is my first 10mm pistol however.

Since I have ruled out magazines and limp wristing? Would the culprit be ammo? Is there some other typical cause of this kind of malfunction ? The gun was bought used but was in very good condition

Have you checked for any burrs on the feed ramp or at the top of the barrel where the bullets appear to be hanging up? I'd also check the recoil spring even though you indicated that you can push the bullets into battery.

Last edited:
It's defanatelly not the ammo if the slide isn't even contacting the case as it appears to be the condition in the second and third picture.

So if you insert a empty mag and cycle the slide while holding down the slide release It doesn't seem to get hung up at all?

Seconded. But in pictures, Glock ejectors always look busted to me, then I look at mine and notice it's just an illusion.

I'll post pics of my G20L ejector tonight to compare if no one else gets one up beforehand.

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. The ejector and everything else seems fine. I'm gonna try and completely doosh it and see if that helps. Feed ramp also seems fine and it wasn't really dirty to begin with.

I have really big dick skinners, so I'll pay very careful attention to my grip also next time I go. I'll feel pretty stupid if it's operator error

Here is dumb question.. Is it possible someone effed up the slide release spring? Is the slide release holding it back? If that was bent, you'd have slide lock after every round.

edit.. also LOL.. Dick Skinners..

Last edited:
Well as I suspected (and the reason I started the thread) ammo does not seem to be the problem.

I tried some PPU fmj, PPU hollow point, Hornady critical defense and some Hornady custom HP.

All of them had the same problem. Here are some pics.

Any ideas?

I'd like to reiterate that those are not 10mm loads. That's essentially range 40S&W, loaded into a 10mm shell. The energy on the PPU is BELOW .40S&W, and while the Hornady is advertised to be a bit warmer, it still wouldn't nearly be full power (even if it meets the advertised spec., which would shock me). When you combine weak ammo with a new recoil spring, it might only take the slightest limp wrist or grip imperfection to cause an issue. Get some real ammo!

To support my point here, I even got two of the hang-ups you describe in my G20 over the weekend. The gun hadn't hung up once in 500 rounds and I never have limp wristing problems. This weekend I was shooting it off sandbags, trying to test the gun's inherent accuracy potential. Because of how I was shooting, I was making no effort to resist recoil. Out of 15 rounds fired like this, 2 hung up on the feed ramp. The ammo was full power Underwood stuff, so the power probably helped overcome the grip deficiency, but it was still able to have an issue when I weakened my grip. I'd be really surprised if you keep having issues with your normal shooting grip and some real 10mm loads.

I've had four glocks and the only one I ever had trouble with was bought used.

After troubleshooting with ammo, different shooters, etc, I took it to my local smith - turns out it had some unkown brand of recoil spring the last guy put in it. Might be worth a check?

The ejector looks right to me. The gen 4 ejector has zigzag shape.

clean the striker channel

I don't see how that would affect a feed failure.

because i'm not convinced this issue is a feed failure.
it sounds more like a failure to go into battery.

his OP stated the following

that's not a feed failure. if the bullet were stuck on the ramp, it isn't going to go into battery so easily.

sometimes the striker channel liner is ****ed up for whatever reason. anytime i've seen issues w glock failing to enter battery, i've stripped out the striker channel. sometimes they need a new channel liner which is a $1 part. i've found straight up mud in some channels precluding striker movement and thus slide gets stuck partway into battery.

the other issue here is if the firearm doesn't go fully into battery, it can still fire. no bueno. glocks do not have a out-of-battery safety like a sig (oops I used the S-word in a glock thread!)

regardless if the channel is clean and striker moves easily, then that's another potential issue off the table. process of elimination.

Last edited:
Weak spring in the slide stop lever?

Replace slide stop lever?

SP 05306
Slide Stop Lever & Spring - fits only G20-G20SF-G21-G21SF(standard mag catch)-G21Gen4 -G29-G29SF-G30-G30SF only (marked 5299-1 on back)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-Facto...-SF-SP05306-/261981432460?hash=item3cff4f6a8c

Mismatched parts?

Send to Glock for repair if you can't figure this out.

I would suggest posting your question on Glock Talk.

If the slide stop is improperly installed, it can cause issues like this. You have to put the locking block pin in first, then slip the whisker spring under it. It's an easy mistake to make and pretty common.

Back
Top Bottom