Glock 26/27

Viper22

NES Member
Once again I'm looking at what to get for CCW. I've decided to pick up a S&W snubnose for pocket carry, but I'm still up in the air on what I'd like to get for a semi-auto. Recently started looking at the g26, I got to handle one a few weeks back and liked the feel of it. Does anyone here carry one? Opinions on the specific model?

Thanks

Glocks are reliable.

I also suggest you try a S&W M&P-compact as well.

the interchangable pack straps almost gurantee a better fit vs. the Glocks....

I used to carry a Glock 22. I have fired the Glock 17, 19, 22 and 23's and they aren't comfortable IMO. I have large meat-hooks (size 5 gloves), skinny / long fingers.... if that helps

try 'em all and get what is best for you.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried both the M&P 9 and 40 fullsize....next time I go to S&W I'll have to try the compact. I'll have to ask and see what size backstrap are on the range guns.

The interchangable backstrap may just be the ticket, since I have big palms and short fingers.

EDIT: Just took a look at the S&W website...I had no idea the magazine release button could be switched around to the other side. This makes a big difference with me being left handed.

Last edited:
EDIT: Just took a look at the S&W website...I had no idea the magazine release button could be switched around to the other side. This makes a big difference with me being left handed.

Viper22,
Don't get caught up in that interchangeable mag release. I'm a lefty and I actually don't like them at all. Once you put a few hundred rounds thru a gun and practice mag changes it won't matter. I actually prefer the standard release because then I use my trigger finger to release the mag and there is no chance for an accidental discharge (AD) during a reload.

That only applies to the mag release. If you are considering a 1911 style pistol then you do need an ambidextrous safety. I also wouldn't get too caught up on the changeable backstraps just yet. They sound good, but we still don't know if they are going to be wobbling loose in a few years and falling off the guns. They just haven't been proven yet.

Obviously, I'm a Glock fan, so take all of the above info with that in mind. It took a while for me to come around to the Glock from the 1911 guns, but now that I am there, I'm not going back.
-Cuz.

LOL,

the pack straps are held in by the "frame tool"......

i have 600+ rounds through mine and actually change the straps out at the range for my girlfriend to shoot....

it has no signs of wear yet, but i'm sure after 4 or 5 years i can pick one up online, local shop or S&W....

i would give the ergonomics to the S&W....

parts, reputation and ease of use will go to the Glock and their cult-like following...

i'd like to see this question in another 5 or 6 years as well....

LOL,

the pack straps are held in by the "frame tool"......

i have 600+ rounds through mine and actually change the straps out at the range for my girlfriend to shoot....

it has no signs of wear yet, but i'm sure after 4 or 5 years i can pick one up online, local shop or S&W....

i would give the ergonomics to the S&W....

parts, reputation and ease of use will go to the Glock and their cult-like following...

i'd like to see this question in another 5 or 6 years as well....

I haven't actually seen how they attach, what holds the frame tool in place?

I'm certainly not going to knock S&W as I own quite a few of their Revo's and their customer service is top notch. I actually sent them a box o' parts once when I tried to do some home gunsmithing and they returned me a nice functioning gun with quite a few parts they had to replace. All covered under warranty. As for the M&P, if their Julie Goloski model actually had a pink frame rather than just a pink backstrap I'd actually buy one just to match my pink Spyderco. Heck, maybe my wife would even want to try shooting it.

-Cuz.

i have shot the m&p and did not like it. the trigger was mass compliant and clunky. for extra money many people just get trigger jobs. However, i would not want to stand before a jury having modified my handgun to have a "hair trigger" (as the prosecutor would say).

I carried a glock 27 for years...

pros:
- 10 rounds of .40s/w
- can be carried on your ankle
- reliable
- easy to find accessories

cons:
- a big punch...will need to practice with it.

I liked the 27 so much that when i carried it i had no desire to shoot any other handgun. so understand that my opinion is somewhat biased.

I've shot both the M&P and a Glock 26 and 27 and I've had a Glock 26 for a few years. I think they both have their positives and negatives, but only you can decide what you really like. You should try renting them and seeing what fits your hand better.

For me I think the Glock is a little to wide and heavy to carry. That is just me so your results may be different. If I had it to do over, I would of bought a G27 instead of a 26. You can convert the 27 to shoot 9mm as well and have a two caliber semi auto. The 26 though cannot be converted to shoot 40S&W.

I've shot the Glock 26... and I've shot the M&P 9mm Compact...

For me... as it's all subjective...

Ergonomics - M&P wins. It just feels good in the hand.

Shootability - Glock 26 wins. I can shoot a 2 inch group and make the X ring disappear with the 26. I couldn't even group under 6 inches with the M&Pc. EDIT: I'd add that the reason I couldn't shoot the M&P was its trigger.

Needless to say, I own a Glock 26 now.

Like everyone says... go out and try both. Whichever one you shoot best with... is the one you should carry.

Last edited:
i posted this somewhere else...

i don't think I have a mass - compliant trigger on my M&P.

i've shot the SIGMA 9, SIGMA 40 and M&P 40 and their triggers (especially the SIGMA) suck! a mushy 10 #

my M&P has a nice and crisp pull / reset.... maybe i got a hidden jem...

i have mine 100% stock... the only i'm thinking of getting is a lazer... LOL, not that i need it, they are just cool.

Go with a G26. It's lighter than a G27 when they are loaded and it's cheaper to feed. There's plenty of 9MM self defence loads, try the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P HP. Also easier on the hand when practicing.

Go with a G26. It's lighter than a G27 when they are loaded and it's cheaper to feed. There's plenty of 9MM self defence loads, try the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P HP. Also easier on the hand when practicing.

I tried those 124gr +P Gold Dots in my G19 and felt they were a bit too hot for me. I liked the 147gr Gold Dots better. I'm sure they are both good loads, but It was easier for me to keep the heavier bullets on target.

-Cuz.

I tried those 124gr +P Gold Dots in my G19 and felt they were a bit too hot for me. I liked the 147gr Gold Dots better. I'm sure they are both good loads, but It was easier for me to keep the heavier bullets on target.

-Cuz.

I had the same experience with my G19. The 124gr +P Gold Dots were a bit too hot for me as well.

I much prefer the 124gr Federal Hydra Shoks. And they shoot great out of the G26.

I had the same experience with my G19. The 124gr +P Gold Dots were a bit too hot for me as well.
I much prefer the 124gr Federal Hydra Shoks. And they shoot great out of the G26.

Actually, I've been thinking of switching from Gold Dot's to Federal. They are much cheaper and can be had in the 50 round boxes rather than 20 round boxes. I know you really don't need very many, but I tend to want to put a few hundred of what ever I plan to carry thru the carry gun to make sure I'm comfortable with them. That ends up getting very expensive. I'll have to start researching Federal ammo choices.

-Cuz.

Sorry for the thread drift, probably should move this to it's own if it takes off.

Once again I'm looking at what to get for CCW. I've decided to pick up a S&W snubnose for pocket carry, but I'm still up in the air on what I'd like to get for a semi-auto. Recently started looking at the g26, I got to handle one a few weeks back and liked the feel of it. Does anyone here carry one? Opinions on the specific model?
Thanks

Just to bring this back on topic, did you want to try shooting a G26? If so, let me know and we can arrange something.

Actually, I've been thinking of switching from Gold Dot's to Federal. They are much cheaper and can be had in the 50 round boxes rather than 20 round boxes. I know you really don't need very many, but I tend to want to put a few hundred of what ever I plan to carry thru the carry gun to make sure I'm comfortable with them. That ends up getting very expensive. I'll have to start researching Federal ammo choices.

-Cuz.

Sorry for the thread drift, probably should move this to it's own if it takes off.

Federal HS has great consistent performance and expansion. If I remember correctly, it holds either the #1 or #2 spot in a recent test of numerous brands and loads comparing their destructive properties (penetration) and reliable, consistent expansion. I can't remember the study for the life of me though.

I'm sure data like that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Okay... back on topic.

Just to bring this back on topic, did you want to try shooting a G26? If so, let me know and we can arrange something.

I'm going to extend the same offer. Viper, if I happen to be closer to you than Cuz, you're welcome to try out my G26.

I have a G26 and really like it. And there are tons of after market goodies out there to tweak it to wherever you'd like to take it to.

that being said. What are the opinions on the Walther P99c?? They look great, not expensive and hear that the out of the box triggers are very nice.

Back
Top Bottom