• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 21 or 1911 - which one should I buy?

In a roundabout way I don't think the Glock's aesthetics are so bad. They just look like a tool that is made to do its job. I don't buy a hammer and think it's ugly or pretty. I just need something to bang nails. A carry gun or nightstand gun that's sole job is to save your ass...who cares what it looks like. In a way, Glocks look like a perfect gun, simple, functional, no fancy bells or whistles..it is what it is and needs to be. And still prettier than a hi point so there's that.

It's like comparing a pickup truck that you need to move junk around to a ferrari. Yeah the ferarri is boner inducing, but pretty useless at moving junk around and you'd hate yourself if you scratched it up.

The solution then, obviously, is to get both. Get the 1911 for the range and to fondle, and the G21 to hammer nails.
I react to guns the same way I react to basses (or guitars, too). I think you do your best work with the one you like the best, most other things being equal. So some of it, for me, is a bit emotional. I know when I like a certain gun, and when I don’t like another.

When I go to the range, I want to enjoy it. Since it’s my money now and not Uncle Sugar’s, I don’t want to spend on things I don’t like. So, while I admit a Glock is a perfectly fine gun, and undoubtedly more reliable than a 1911… I just don’t like them. I’m the same way with ARs.

I shoot my favorite 1911 (a Randall A131) quite well. I like everything about it. I owned my Glock for many years and never once looked forward to shooting it in the same way. Back then, if SHTF had happened, I’d have brought a 1911 and not a Glock.

Nowadays I’m mostly a BHP guy.

A range toy 1911 is a great gun in 9 or 45 but the caveat is that in general it has to be a good one. The rise in popularity has made every maker want to get a one on the market and many really are rubbish. But if you can get a decent one they can be super reliable guns.

Glock is fine. I have several to carry and keep around for shtf. But there's no real character.

Did you cut the slide yourself?
What do I look like, competent? Dave Santurri cut it and did a great job.

That was a big part of how this gun cost me nearly a grand - between the sights and Dave fitting them I think spent $300+. Totally worth it though, GI sights were junk and the Dawsons are fantastic.

Am I going to have to have you shoot my 1911 too? [laugh]

Glock 31 - .357Sig.
take any Glock 40 and put a factory or replacement ( lone wolf, KKM, etc) .357 Sig barrel in it and have at it.

the .40 S&W mags are the same, the extractor works, the problem is you can't find any .357 Sig ammo ...... (or 10mm, or 45GAP for that matter)

It's like comparing a pickup truck that you need to move junk around to a ferrari. Yeah the ferarri is boner inducing, but pretty useless at moving junk around and you'd hate yourself if you scratched it up.
Glock is like a barebones truck. Yes, it will drive. That said, if you plan to take it to the range to develop and maintain proficiency(you should!), you'd want some creature comforts like A/C or power steering.
To continue with your analogy, a 1911 is like VW Bug which has been in production with minimal changes for 65 years. Modern 1911's are still rear-wheel drive, powered by a rear-mounted air-cooled engine but now have air conditioning.

My 4.25" PC1911 has been my main carry for a couple years now, checks all the boxes for me but.... I just picked up a 4.25" SA Emissary in 9mm, not sure if I'll carry this one yet, can't even find a leather OWB holster for it.

What do I look like, competent? Dave Santurri cut it and did a great job.

That was a big part of how this gun cost me nearly a grand - between the sights and Dave fitting them I think spent $300+. Totally worth it though, GI sights were junk and the Dawsons are fantastic.

Am I going to have to have you shoot my 1911 too? [laugh]
As soon as I get mine fixed, we can compare and contrast. Changing out the sights is one of the things I was considering

Damn this thread has me wanting a Glock 21.

I have a Springfield Operator 1911 already so I’m good in that department.

I react to guns the same way I react to basses (or guitars, too). I think you do your best work with the one you like the best, most other things being equal. So some of it, for me, is a bit emotional. I know when I like a certain gun, and when I don’t like another.

When I go to the range, I want to enjoy it. Since it’s my money now and not Uncle Sugar’s, I don’t want to spend on things I don’t like. So, while I admit a Glock is a perfectly fine gun, and undoubtedly more reliable than a 1911… I just don’t like them. I’m the same way with ARs.

I shoot my favorite 1911 (a Randall A131) quite well. I like everything about it. I owned my Glock for many years and never once looked forward to shooting it in the same way. Back then, if SHTF had happened, I’d have brought a 1911 and not a Glock.

Nowadays I’m mostly a BHP guy.
yeah don't get me wrong, I love 1911s. I have a colt series 70 back home that i had completely re worked, every spring, trigger, hammer, bushings sites, grips, finish. That is the most fun gun to shoot. I think a 1911 can be every bit as reliable as a glock, but I think almost all of the mass produced ones need some smithing to get there, even if not as extensive as what I did. A glock or M&P just works out of the box. But yeah, they have no soul. TBH, the next gun I buy will probably be another 1911.

Glocks just suck. The bigger ones shoot better than the little ones, but they all suck.
If you don't like 1911's, there are lots of other choices in 45.
Ouch, that just hurts…
You need to take that back and apologize, or else my mom is going to call your mom, and you’re going to be in so much trouble…

Dillon XL650
A good sign that you're using a lame pistol caliber is a lack of factory ammo necessitating the use of reloading equipment.

There are two scenarios where reloading is almost a requirement: competitive shooting or training. If you want to win anything beyond the local club meet, you will need to practice. A lot! That means many thousands of rounds of ammo. Being able to reload will save you money but only if you reload 5000 or more on annual basis. The same goes for training. A 2-day course(beyond pistol 101) typically requires 500 rounds+. Add rifle to it and you're looking at another 1000 of 556.

A good sign that you're using a lame pistol caliber is a lack of factory ammo necessitating the use of reloading equipment.

There are two scenarios where reloading is almost a requirement: competitive shooting or training. If you want to win anything beyond the local club meet, you will need to practice. A lot! That means many thousands of rounds of ammo. Being able to reload will save you money but only if you reload 5000 or more on annual basis. The same goes for training. A 2-day course(beyond pistol 101) typically requires 500 rounds+. Add rifle to it and you're looking at another 1000 of 556.
Some of the most interesting calibers lack a big availability of store ammo. Doesn't make it a lame pistol caliber.

Although I am not a fan of .357 Sig.

I need your help here. I hear the 1911 can shoot down Japanese Zeroes and won 2 world wars, but I also hear Glock is perfection.

Another issue is I am afraid the Glock is a skinflint gun, I dont want people to think I am one of the poors. But Glocks seem to have great ergonomics and there is enough Glock bling in the aftermarket that I could turn it into a non-skinflint gun.

Help me decide which one I should buy.

Ps: 40 is still g@y so don't tell me to get one of those.
Buy a $500 Glock. Put about another $500 into aftermarket parts for it. Keep adding shit until it stops working.

Once broken put it here in the classifieds for $1,500

A range toy 1911 is a great gun in 9 or 45 but the caveat is that in general it has to be a good one. The rise in popularity has made every maker want to get a one on the market and many really are rubbish. But if you can get a decent one they can be super reliable guns.

Glock is fine. I have several to carry and keep around for shtf. But there's no real character.

“not f***ing up” is a pretty good character trait lol

[

Back
Top Bottom