Glock 20 10mm

I have a gen 4 glock 20 bone stock. That being said recently someone at the range told me that I should swap the barrel and recoil spring. I have shot everything out of this gun from Buffalo bore and underwood to regular range ammo. I have never had an issue but was wondering if anyone could give me there insight if this is kicking the crap out of my gun or it’s just fine. Definitely curious I have seen the kkm barrels but if I don’t need it why buy it.

Why mess with a gun that works? There is no advantage swapping springs and barrel if you are having no problems. Wast of money and possibly causing a problem. The gun was designed to opperate the way it was manufactured no need to listen to some kitchen table gun Smith you met at the range.

Why mess with a gun that works? There is no advantage swapping springs and barrel if you are having no problems. Wast of money and possibly causing a problem. The gun was designed to opperate the way it was manufactured no need to listen to some kitchen table gun Smith you met at the range.
Honestly that’s how I felt also the gun was made to handle powerful rounds. I was doing a google search and read some things and got me thinking.

Some people just don’t know when to leave good enough alone. You could very well spend a lot of money and make thinks worse. The Glock is a good gun as is, for 95% of the shooters the money would be better spent on ammo and practice... my 2 cents! 😉

@jjm1986

so why not build a tiling barrel design pistol with 100% chamber support? because it would not feed the cartridge.
everything in is a compromise, including pistol design
glock optimizes reliability by creating a larger feed area over the ramp
the downside is that chamber support is decreased

if you decide to run nuclear loads that flirt with the pressure limits of the cartridge, understand that this area of brass remains unsupported
for this reason some folks choose to use an aftermarket barrel

the recoil spring is less critical but it will theoretically soak up more of the energy from the slide and can result in overall smoother cycling

in my G20 gen 3, I run a factory barrel and an aftermarket 22# RSA
most of the my shooting is with underwood 180gr which is loaded hot but i have no reason to believe underwood pushes over the pressure limits
one perk to the gen 3 is the RSA is simple single spring and can easily be tuned

@jjm1986

so why not build a tiling barrel design pistol with 100% chamber support? because it would not feed the cartridge.
everything in is a compromise, including pistol design
glock optimizes reliability by creating a larger feed area over the ramp
the downside is that chamber support is decreased

if you decide to run nuclear loads that flirt with the pressure limits of the cartridge, understand that this area of brass remains unsupported
for this reason some folks choose to use an aftermarket barrel

the recoil spring is less critical but it will theoretically soak up more of the energy from the slide and can result in overall smoother cycling

in my G20 gen 3, I run a factory barrel and an aftermarket 22# RSA
most of the my shooting is with underwood 180gr which is loaded hot but i have no reason to believe underwood pushes over the pressure limits
one perk to the gen 3 is the RSA is simple single spring and can easily be tuned
Thanks can you recommend what recoil spring to get, I have a gen 4. also I was looking at the kkm barrels. Those seem to be the better 10mm barrel

I have a G40 and run the Sig 180gr loads and the spring and barrel are just fine. It shoots well and recoil is reasonable given the round, but I am also firmly in the ”if it ain’t broke, done fix it” camp.

If you only shoot the hot 10mm loads, then you'll need to change the spring out eventually, probably after 4000 rds instead of the typical 5000, but the barrel, so long as you are shooting factory ammo, you'll be fine. It's if you were to start reloading 10mm that you would want to consider a barrel that has better chamber support so you don't get a kaboom with weakened brass.

That said, it appears that for the Gen 4 pistols, Glock improved the chamber support for .40's and 10's, so you may not need a new barrel at all even if you did reload. One thing that an aftermarket barrel would give you is the abilty to shoot lead bullets safely or if you wanted to put a suppressor on it for subsonic loads.

Subsonic 10mm is ballistically better than .45 ACP is.

I have a G40 and run the Sig 180gr loads and the spring and barrel are just fine. It shoots well and recoil is reasonable given the round, but I am also firmly in the ”if it ain’t broke, done fix it” camp.
How does the Glock 40 compare to the 34? Any reason to get one over the other?

Lol in no universe would anyone who is shopping for a 40 buy a 34, or vice versa. two entirely different
animals. It comes down to "do you want/need 10mm or not" .

the NES answer is "buy both" [rofl]

-Mike

Lol in no universe would anyone who is shopping for a 40 buy a 34, or vice versa. two entirely different
animals. It comes down to "do you want/need 10mm or not" .

the NES answer is "buy both" [rofl]

-Mike
I'm an idiot, I meant 20 versus 40! Sorry...

I like the longer slide of the G40. I carry this at our house in NH, so it’s nothing that needs to be concealed and it’s easy to pick up a target quickly. I also think the longer slide helps me aim and get more consistent groups at longer distances. That said, I’m on the lookout for a G20 and G41 (45ACP) slide/barrel because they use the same frame. At least for Gen4 they do.

The G40 has more velocity than the 20, a better stock trigger, and an adjustable rear sight as well as the MOS ability.

But is all that worth the $250 more than what you could get a used Glock 20 for? I'm wondering that myself.

I have an SRO on my G19, so when I went to get the G40, I thought it would be better to have it and not need it than vice versa. I could see myself putting something on it down the line.

The lack of a mounting plate is one reason I haven’t purchased a G20 slide. As far as I know, the Gen4 G20 slides don’t have the MOS system.

the Glock 20 is the best gun for hiking, my opinion. I always carry it when hiking. And when I bring it to the range I only put buffalo bore through it. Only a box or two. That’s the only ammo I have really shot out of it. I like shooting the high power stuff, I mean that’s what I bought it for.

Back
Top Bottom