Glock 19 or Glock 17?

It must be like, very, very recently... because the 19 Gen5 I just bought like, less than a month ago, has the cut and no front serrations.

-Mike

Weird - I purchased my G19 a couple/few months ago and the front serrations are on it. Maybe there’s a difference between the MOS & non-MOS versions?

Weird - I purchased my G19 a couple/few months ago and the front serrations are on it. Maybe there’s a difference between the MOS & non-MOS versions?

Maybe... I think I might have just ended up with new old stock lmao...

-Mike

Just get both now, or buy one now and the other later. You know you will eventually.

I agree, i'm definitely starting to fall in Love with the Glock Brand and see myself buying a 17L and a 19 no matter what even if I do choose the 17. Wouldn't hurt to have variety.

I think i'm going to end up choosing the 17. It's not much at stake anyway considering it's the same exact gun. Just bigger. Bigger is what I was looking for so might as well. Seems like a good choice.

Thanks for the tips everyone :)

I agree, i'm definitely starting to fall in Love with the Glock Brand and see myself buying a 17L and a 19 no matter what even if I do choose the 17. Wouldn't hurt to have variety.

I think i'm going to end up choosing the 17. It's not much at stake anyway considering it's the same exact gun. Just bigger. Bigger is what I was looking for so might as well. Seems like a good choice.

Thanks for the tips everyone :)
When I bought my first glock, I never imagined I would carry it IWB concealed. Now I carry a beat up gen 4 19 daily.

Hello folks!

The age old question lives on, one that has ended many of brotherhoods and probably led to at least 3 civil wars. The old Glock 17 vs Glock 19 debate.

I have decided to buy a Glock this week. I have went and fired the 19. Loved it. Adored it. The 17 is the same gun, just bigger. I kinda wanted a big gun. I already have so many conceal pistols. I don't really need it to be a pocket or hip gun. More of a inside of a huge jacket gun or just to have on the night stand.

So for this reason, I went from entertaining the 19 to entertaining the 17.

The 17 isn't as popular, but it's also the original Glock model.

The 17 has a slightly longer barrel, is slightly heavier. This leads me to believe its better for range shooting. It's a full size service pistol. Which is my main intent. But owners claim it's unoticable.

Which would you settle on if you had to pick one of the two? For just performance and nothing else. Not factoring concealing because I won't be using it for that. Just pure feel, grip and performance in the hand.

Thanks for any suggestions and tips.

glock17-vs-glock19-comparison-696x392.jpg
Get both when u can..for carry get the 19. But winter is coming and u can easily CCW the 19. Good luck!

It must be like, very, very recently... because the 19 Gen5 I just bought like, less than a month ago, has the cut and no front serrations.

-Mike

Yes, I think this was an extremely recent addition. I also take that back about nomenclature. This is known as the FS version, I believe. Front serrations?, maybe? Not sure. I think you can still buy the vanilla gen 5 with the cutout, and I suppose that's the "regular" gen 5.

Yes, I think this was an extremely recent addition. I also take that back about nomenclature. This is known as the FS version, I believe. Front serrations?, maybe? Not sure. I think you can still buy the vanilla gen 5 with the cutout, and I suppose that's the "regular" gen 5.

Through the website i'm looking at them on, you can actually choose which model you prefer. It's pretty cool. You can go with the serations or without. With the finger grooves or without. With the DLC coating or not. (What mad man would get it without). And all other extras like night sights. Without leaving the home. They then show you the price that your local dealer is asking and how many they have in stock. Shooting Supply and Sakonnet River outfitters being closest. It's a pretty cool site. I trust it because it came direct from the Glock website.

Name of the site is www.GearFire.Com I'm sure many of you already knew about it. It's new to me. I like how you can begin the purchase process and pick exactly what you want without having to keep asking "Hey can I look at that" a million times. Show up and pick up. Simple as can be. Especially since I already know what I want. I enjoy the site quite a bit. :)

I personally don't like the front serrations. And I don't care for the finger grooves much either. I love that the GEN 5 took criticisms of the Glock userbase to heart and made changes. Some other companies seem to be stubborn as a mule with doing things like that.

-Mike

No he's mistaken, new Gen 5s still have the cutout.

There's a new variant released every week so you never know. Glock 43X Rail anyone?

G17 all day long. slightly smoother and easier to make hits at range. those who say they cannot
conceal a 17 had better be tiny people because any normal sized male can easily conceal a 17. while i mostly AIWB 92 variants occasionally i will swap over to a G22 (same size as a 17).

as above

the 19.5 no longer has the dumb grip cutout like the gen2 had. it was awful. the change is recent. mucho discussion on pistol forum, GT etc

I believe the cut out change was done about 6 or so months ago but there is a lot of old new stock still in various pipe lines. Oh and you can't get Glocks in mass there banned. except for the prebans. Which is why they cost more than you make in a month.:p. Sorry I couldn't help it.

G17 all day long. slightly smoother and easier to make hits at range. those who say they cannot
conceal a 17 had better be tiny people because any normal sized male can easily conceal a 17. while i mostly AIWB 92 variants occasionally i will swap over to a G22 (same size as a 17).

as above

the 19.5 no longer has the dumb grip cutout like the gen2 had. it was awful. the change is recent. mucho discussion on pistol forum, GT etc

Thank you sir. I definitely think I have settled on the 17 as well. The 19 is great but i'm not concerned with the extra conceal ability it gives you. I am more concerned about comfort and accuracy. The bigger grip will feel great with the recoil and it will keep on target better and faster. I want a great range build. I have 2 carry pistols for tucking in a pocket. But I need a big boy now.

Do you have any experience with the Glock 34? I'm not sure at what point it's "too big" if such thing exists lol. How is the accuracy on the 34? Is the trigger as good? I know the 17 and 19 triggers are notoriously great with the Gen 5.

Thank you sir. I definitely think I have settled on the 17 as well. The 19 is great but i'm not concerned with the extra conceal ability it gives you. I am more concerned about comfort and accuracy. The bigger grip will feel great with the recoil and it will keep on target better and faster. I want a great range build. I have 2 carry pistols for tucking in a pocket. But I need a big boy now.

Do you have any experience with the Glock 34? I'm not sure at what point it's "too big" if such thing exists lol. How is the accuracy on the 34? Is the trigger as good? I know the 17 and 19 triggers are notoriously great with the Gen 5.

I'm not picking on you here, I'm just going to say something about pistol accuracy. I hear people throw that term around, but I get curious when I hear it. What do you think the real life practical accuracy differences are? Me and the boys on NES regularly shoot 19s past 50 and 100 yards. No issues. It's a VERY small segment of people that are going to notice any difference. Are you capable of shooting 3 to 5 inch groups at 25 yards? That's easily what any Glock is capable of. I can pull off 6 to 8 inch groups at 50 with my 43, and our G19s at work were holding 10" to 12" at 100 yards with 147 grain Gold Dots and factory barrels.

My wife used say why do you need two guns of the same manufacturer my response was . There's more than two types of hammer's there's framing hammer's and there's finish hammer's you would want me getting hurt using the wrong hammer would you!

subjective, but for me the G17 gets picked over a 34 due to easier clearing holster and better balance. 34 is a bit nose heavy to me. for shots past 50 yards the site radius on the 34 is nice. as a competition gun the 34 makes sense but for my purposes i found it lacking so sold it.

the 17 strikes a perfect balance. great barrel length 4.6 will get a bit more MV over a 19 and awesome sight radius without getting too long. its also pretty easily carried which offers 18 rds so for my needs extra mags not necessary.

all this said, if youre looking for a sweet shooter i would opt for a modded up 92 variant or a CZ 75, not a glock.

No he's mistaken, new Gen 5s still have the cutout.

There's a new variant released every week so you never know. Glock 43X Rail anyone?

As Squib308 points out, some are calling this 19.5, so in a very pedantic sense, you're right that regular gen 5's still have the cut out. However, I'd argue this is very much still a gen5 G19 aside from the aforementioned cut out fix and front slide serrations, so yes and no. If they didn't have those front slide serrations, it would be identical to the first gen 5's aside from fixing the cutout. I think Glock put the slide serrations on there so they wouldn't have to admit they got the original wrong.

G19 Gen5 FS - The next generation

I like the extra weight, sight radius, and velocity of 34/35/41. For .45ACP the extra length of G41 is especially nice. But as you step from G26 to 19, 17, and 34 you get roughly 50fps (around 5%) more velocity out of the same round. And that’s 5% extra killy.

You can get mag wells for the gen 5 19 and it covers the cut out completely makes it very comfortable, and it pushes your hand up on the grip every time. I like it a lot, or you can just get a Glock 20 if you want a bigger pistol

As Squib308 points out, some are calling this 19.5, so in a very pedantic sense, you're right that regular gen 5's still have the cut out. However, I'd argue this is very much still a gen5 G19 aside from the aforementioned cut out fix and front slide serrations, so yes and no. If they didn't have those front slide serrations, it would be identical to the first gen 5's aside from fixing the cutout. I think Glock put the slide serrations on there so they wouldn't have to admit they got the original wrong.

G19 Gen5 FS - The next generation

ok yeah, I thought I remembered reading about that, but didn't see it on Glock's website yet.

I go along with some of the previous posts, Glock 45. Just feels good in the hand and shoots pisser!

Any reason to get G45 over G17 if you're not carrying it (like the OP)?

To the OP, I love the longer grip on G17/G45 and also like the G43X. But the G19 grip doesn't fit my hand as well. The thinner grip on G43X makes it fit me better, even though it's the same length as G19.

Try them all.

Back
Top Bottom