Glock 19 or Glock 17?

Hello folks!

The age old question lives on, one that has ended many of brotherhoods and probably led to at least 3 civil wars. The old Glock 17 vs Glock 19 debate.

I have decided to buy a Glock this week. I have went and fired the 19. Loved it. Adored it. The 17 is the same gun, just bigger. I kinda wanted a big gun. I already have so many conceal pistols. I don't really need it to be a pocket or hip gun. More of a inside of a huge jacket gun or just to have on the night stand.

So for this reason, I went from entertaining the 19 to entertaining the 17.

The 17 isn't as popular, but it's also the original Glock model.

The 17 has a slightly longer barrel, is slightly heavier. This leads me to believe its better for range shooting. It's a full size service pistol. Which is my main intent. But owners claim it's unoticable.

Which would you settle on if you had to pick one of the two? For just performance and nothing else. Not factoring concealing because I won't be using it for that. Just pure feel, grip and performance in the hand.

Thanks for any suggestions and tips.

glock17-vs-glock19-comparison-696x392.jpg

I see your photo is of Gen4 Glocks. In Gen5, there is a cutout in the bottom of the front strap, designed to make it easy to pull the magazine out if it should get stuck. On the 19, some shooters say it is uncomfortable, the edge digging into the little finger as they shoot. The 17 is long enough for that not to be an issue for most peope, except those with very large hands. FWIW.

I hit better and faster with my G17s compared to my G19s.
To me the longer sight radius of the G17 makes the difference in accuracy.
The sight radius may only be 0.5" longer, and the hits on the target don't lie.
I think the heavier slide helps the sights settle back down quicker and the timer doesn't lie.
The grip of the G17 feels better in my hand.
(YMMV and we all need to find our own salvation)

You mentioned that concealment isn't one of your considerations, but I did cut my G17 grip down to fit G19 magazines to aid with concealment of the grip while holstered.

Don’t buy before you try G34. Whatever you land on, also consider the MOS version. Factory ready for a red dot or leave the original plate if you never go for it.

Mag compat is a huge reason for my choices. I wish I'd grabbed that Atlanta Olympics g17 which was on here for a while, but I'm happy with two g19s and a g26 in the house.

Only two 10rnder g26 mags won't fit in everything. I cycle them every time I do dry fire drills. Spare mag is either a g17 mag or a g19 mag depending on the bag.

a G19 is on my buy list, but pretty far down.

I have G17, it goes great with my 26 and 43X, the 43X being almost the same size as a 19 but for thickness.

I see your photo is of Gen4 Glocks. In Gen5, there is a cutout in the bottom of the front strap, designed to make it easy to pull the magazine out if it should get stuck. On the 19, some shooters say it is uncomfortable, the edge digging into the little finger as they shoot. The 17 is long enough for that not to be an issue for most peope, except those with very large hands. FWIW.

The newest rev gen 5's no longer have that cut out. They also added front slide serrations. The nomenclature hasn't changed though, so you have to be careful when buying one site unseen that you are getting the newer one. There are also frame plugs if it bothers you, but that's more of a bandaid fix.

Here is my take after 20 years of Glock ownership, carrying and such.

If I were using it for normal range sessions - 100-300rds at a time just yucking around, the 19 is perfect. It's also the ubiquitous Glock - meaning just about everything aftermarket Glock is designed around this platform.

BUT. . . . if I were shooting heavy, or taking a class - I'd take a 17. In fact, years ago, I bought a 22 in order to take a class at Sig because I knew shooting 500-800rds in a couple of days with a 19 was gonna be a bit too much. Although today I'd just tape up my pinky and be done with it. (The biggest problem in holding the "compact" frame is the mag-to-magwell transition.)

It's hard to say. I've got a very soft spot for the G19. It's a platform that just feels right in my hands. Heck, I've considered getting a 48 just to check out the thinner version. I'd never carry it on a regular basis, but I'd like to check out a "full" size thin-frame and maybe my wife would enjoy it as well.

You just need to try both. As was said earlier its a very subjective thing. For me I have several g19s but one 17 a gen4. Personally I shoot the 17 better and much more consistent than the 19. Some days I'm on the money with the 19, other days I'm glad nobody else is with me. The 17 I usually shoot it pretty well and I don't have much of any of the low and low left issues I have on occasion with the 19. As was said above the 48 may be on a short list. So many guns to want so little money for them all

G17 has a noticeably longer sight radius and feels more balanced in my hands. I shoot the G17 better as a result and I much prefer it for range sessions and home defense. Having owned and shot a G26, G19, G17 and G34, I can tell you that you can absolutely feel the differences between each one.

Side note, I have a Gen 4 and Gen 5 G19. I'm partial to the Gen 4 because the finger grooves fit me well. Also, the Gen 5 G19 doesn't feel completely polished to me -- the front slide is beveled but the frame isn't so you can actually feel a "sharp" edge. It's not a big deal but just a weird detail that they seemingly ignored. I understand newer production Gen 5 G19's have beveled frames to match the slide.

Reference the left, just at the muzzle. The front slide is beveled but the frame isn't.

maxresdefault.jpg

I went with. G19 Gen 5 MOS because it felt better in my hand. Mine is for range and IDPA usage, so a red dot is on it, but like someone mentioned above, leave the top plate on it and it doesn’t look like it’s milled for an optic. If you really want a big Glock, get a G40 MOS. That thing is so much fun at the range!

If you know for sure that you’re never going to buy one, then maybe save yourself a couple bucks and get the non-MOS version, but I think the flexibility is worth the difference in price.

Brewer beat me to it - if you're going "full size" nine, get a G34. :)

As for the 19 .vs. the 17? Whichever one feels better to YOU.
My son carries a 19, he likes it, I don't.
I have a couple of 17's, I like them, he doesn't.

I also have a G34, (which is really a long-slide 17), that I use for IDPA and USPSA. That extra inch or so makes a lot of difference on the longer shots, (rimshot and "yeah that's what she said").

I would get the 19x.

This. You won't feel guilty, you'll get a little of both lol

It's my favorite pistol to shoot hands down and I also have a gen5 19, 17, and 26. Can't really explain why.....maybe the coyote color makes it more accurate??

Go to carry pistol is still the regular G19 though.

I’ve got a 26, 19, 17, and 34. I keep thinking of getting a 17L just to complete the collection.

They all fill a niche. So get them all.

If you really are only going to get one then get the G19

I would get the 19x.

This. You won't feel guilty, you'll get a little of both lol

It's my favorite pistol to shoot hands down and I also have a gen5 19, 17, and 26. Can't really explain why.....maybe the coyote color makes it more accurate??

Go to carry pistol is still the regular G19 though.
If you're going for the cross-breed, G45 doesn't have potential noncompatability among mag baseplates. You just miss out on that extra-accurate coyote magic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0KD1NKIeM

The newest rev gen 5's no longer have that cut out. They also added front slide serrations. The nomenclature hasn't changed though, so you have to be careful when buying one site unseen that you are getting the newer one. There are also frame plugs if it bothers you, but that's more of a bandaid fix.

It must be like, very, very recently... because the 19 Gen5 I just bought like, less than a month ago, has the cut and no front serrations.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom