Glock 19 Modification

I was reading an article in the Firearms News about Glocks, specifically the G19 and the G17L. In the article, the author mentioned that instead of replacing the striker spring to lighten the trigger pull, he cuts 3 coils off the stock Glock striker spring. He stated the reason he does this is because in the past he has had light primer strikes with non-stock striker springs. I have been thinking about it for my G19, which I generally carry, but wanted to get some opinions first. Would you do this? Why or why not?
Thanks

I'd just buy a Wolff 5.0 pound striker spring on line and get the Zev Spring kit. Do NOT use their (Zev) striker spring. It can (and I've seen it) cause light strikes.

This is part of my Glock formula.

ETA: The stock Glock Striker Spring is 5.5 Lbs.

I've tried to find out what the Zev spring is, I'm guessing 4.0#

And one other part to get is the Double Diamond 3.5# drop in connector. If you want to go crazy, add in a "$.25 trigger job".

But if its for carry, just leave it be...

Last edited:
No.
Glock sells connectors that change the trigger pull. Swapping springs on a carry gun is bad juju. ****ing with a carry gun is asking for trouble.

If you want to go crazy, add in a "$.25 trigger job".

But if its for carry, just leave it be...

These two sentences together... that's what I do with Glocks. The polishing of the right mating areas in the .25 trigger job helps the trigger pull immensely. I've done it to the three Glocks I've owned, (G19, G42 and G26) and it made a noticeable difference. My G19, a Gen2 with who the F knows how many rounds through it, has a smooth as silk trigger.

I was reading an article in the Firearms News about Glocks, specifically the G19 and the G17L. In the article, the author mentioned that instead of replacing the striker spring to lighten the trigger pull, he cuts 3 coils off the stock Glock striker spring. He stated the reason he does this is because in the past he has had light primer strikes with non-stock striker springs. I have been thinking about it for my G19, which I generally carry, but wanted to get some opinions first. Would you do this? Why or why not?
Thanks

Only a moron would ever use a glock for carry with anything other than the factory striker spring.

Drop in a Glock 3.5 OEM "minus" connector and be done with it.

-Mike

Only a moron would ever use a glock for carry with anything other than the factory striker spring.

Drop in a Glock 3.5 OEM "minus" connector and be done with it.

-Mike

This. I would not mess with striker springs for anything other than a competition gun. With that being said, I do run an OC Customs trigger in my 19,, but have put so many rounds though it that I trust it with my life.

My mods to my Glocks has included a Ghost 3.5 connector and lots of rounds fired through them.

Ghost 3.5 connector if anything. Don't try fixing something that's not broken. Cutting springs is not the best idea. The Glock striker spring works just fine.

he cuts 3 coils off of the spring?

what if he then gets light strikes? does he simply stretch out the spring a bit ?

he cuts 3 coils off of the spring?

what if he then gets light strikes? does he simply stretch out the spring a bit ?

My thoughts exactly.

cutting the spring makes the spring rate *higher*, but because it's shorter, there's less preload. That means the force required to compress it stacks up quicker (even if it doesn't get as high as before.

But if you stretch it, now you've increased the preload on a stiffer spring.

The right way to do that is with a softer (more coils, or thinner wire), and maybe longer spring. -- if you're going to monkey with the striker spring at all.

Nobody is clueless enough to cut coils off a Glock striker spring. Actually we're dealing with Glock owners so I take that back. Clip that mofo!

Over thousand workers at company made by Gaston Glock and kitchen gunsmith think he know better because he drink too many vodka. This result with malfunction and dangerous situation. Glock is fine, leave alone; spend more rubles on hookers and less kopecks on ruining pistolet. If gun not shoot well, fix drunk shooter instead.

18580041_352689838467334_6102164052392280064_n.jpg

Over thousand workers at company made by Gaston Glock and kitchen gunsmith think he know better because he drink too many vodka. This result with malfunction and dangerous situation. Glock is fine, leave alone; spend more rubles on hookers and less kopecks on ruining pistolet. If gun not shoot well, fix drunk shooter instead.

18580041_352689838467334_6102164052392280064_n.jpg

[rofl]

Yup. At the plate shoots I run i see many a gun plumber go home early with guns that just don't work.......the majority of those are light strikes cuz they ****ed with the springs.

Swap the sights out and leave it alone. I did do a 12-pack undercut to mine to make it fit my hand better, but that and sights are all that is done to it. I have a second G19 that I tinker with because I don't carry it.

cutting any spring on a glock is straight up retarded. let me know where this was published so I can be sure I avoid reading there.

the best trigger job on a glock is to purchased 2 cases of ammo and go to the range. i actually increase my trigger weight by running an NY1 spring with 3.5# connector. it smoothens the overall pull weight to ~8 lbs but in return the wall is less noticeable. it also makes the reset abnoxiously strong. if shooting with a gloved hand it helps. does it increase my accuracy at 50 yard steel targets? hell no. but the heavier trigger allows me to rapid fire and maintain very good control of the gun.

Just an FYI, if you do run a light spring 4.0# 4.5# a lot of people are running Lightened Strikers. I have a Zev one in my G17. But its steel, not Titanium.

Another note is that I will not run Titanium parts. I see to many ad's (advertisements) for Titanium Strikers and Plungers. Nope!

Last edited:
Just an FYI, if you do run a light spring 4.0# 4.5# a lot of people are running Lightened Strikers. I have a Zev one in my G17. But its steel, not Titanium.

Another note is that I will not run Titanium parts. I see to many ad's for Titanium Strikers and Plungers. Nope!

How are those titanium Parks responsible for AD?

I saw Dave Sevigney clean house with a G17 he took out of the box for the first time 10 minutes before the match started.

Its the software not the hardware.

With that said, I've put a Genuine Glock 3.5/4.5 lb connector in all of my Glocks. That combined with a fluff and buff of the bearing surfaces lowers the ACTUAL trigger weight as measured by the middle of the bow to somewhere around 5.5 lbs. (If you don't have a trigger gauge, please don't comment here. You can't estimate trigger weights accurately)

It also smooths it out considerably. The resulting trigger is as good as you need for a defensive gun or for a practical shooting gun for that matter.

If you like to fiddle, and who doesn't, you can try replacing the stock 5.5 lb striker spring with something lighter (Toy or match guns only please).

I personally shoot a 4# striker spring in my IDPA gun. That combined with the fluff and buff and the (factory installed Gen4) 4.5 lb connector gives me a weight of about 3 - 3.5 # depending on how dirty it is. I only shoot this gun with my reloads made specifically for this gun. They use a soft Federal primer and go bang 100% of the time.

I tried a trigger spring designed to lighten trigger pull but didn't like it. The trigger didn't follow my finger out smoothly but kind of bumped along as I released the trigger. It was distracting when trying to shoot fast.

Re the safety plunger spring. I've tried everything from stock to a light weight one cut down by 1 coil. I can't feel the difference. So I leave the stock Glock plunger spring in place at all times. I do fluff and buff and cut a 45 deg angle on the plunger. Mainly because I feel better. I've never done A : B testing on a stock vs modified plunger.

In summary. All you need is a 3.5 lb connector. That gets you 90% of the way to a great glock trigger and is perfect for carry.

Fluff and buff and a lighter striker spring gets you as far as you need to go on a race gun.

Don
Glock Advanced Armorer

Last edited:
My Gen4 19

$0.25 trigger job
G17 Trigger bar/shoe
6lb trigger spring
Reduced power safety plunger spring
Glock (-) connector

Lightened up the trigger pull without being too light and have yet to have any problems with it in 500-600 rounds. I don't know if the reduced power safety plunger spring made much of a difference I doubt I would notice the difference between it and the stock one. I have just been too lazy to switch it back out. The G17 trigger bar/shoe changed the feel of the gun the most IMO I prefer the smooth trigger over the serrated one that comes on the 19.

I always look for better ways to get that Brass falling at a better place on the Glocks and figured I try the Shadow Systems Billet Extractor a try today and it didn't do much better imop.
IMG_7505.jpg

I've tried the Apex extractor as well and was unimpressed.

I have an FRE on my G17 Gen4 and it helps but it is not a cure all, as purported. The mod that Larry Vickers posted on his faceplant page might be some promise, though... (filing the ejector at a certain angle...). I just haven't bothered because I get maybe one out of 100 rounds brass to face, and only with weak shit (blazer brass)... which at this point I don't buy, or make weak 9mm anymore anyways.

-Mike

I have tuned my hand loads rather than the gun and at this point, that has been more effective. If I were to go back to shooting factory brass, I would play around with the extractor and ejector again.

Back
Top Bottom