• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 19 mags - factory, magpul, etc ?

I'm not really a Glock guy, but I've put a shit-ton of rounds through my Glock 19 in the last three weeks or so, getting ready for an upcoming course, all with Magpul Glock mags. I've been running the gun and mags hard, and I've never had even a bobble with the Magpul mags, even the 10-round version. At $9.99/mag (easily found if you look), that's 2:1 over the best OEM price. It's hard to justify the OEM price premium. Would you only buy OEM Colt AR mags?

I'm not really a Glock guy, but I've put a shit-ton of rounds through my Glock 19 in the last three weeks or so, getting ready for an upcoming course, all with Magpul Glock mags. I've been running the gun and mags hard, and I've never had even a bobble with the Magpul mags, even the 10-round version. At $9.99/mag (easily found if you look), that's 2:1 over the best OEM price. It's hard to justify the OEM price premium. Would you only buy OEM Colt AR mags?

As a matter of fact I'm sure I have 120 AR mags and I don't think there is a single Colt one in the pile :)

I'm not really a Glock guy, but I've put a shit-ton of rounds through my Glock 19 in the last three weeks or so, getting ready for an upcoming course, all with Magpul Glock mags. I've been running the gun and mags hard, and I've never had even a bobble with the Magpul mags, even the 10-round version. At $9.99/mag (easily found if you look), that's 2:1 over the best OEM price.
ditto, magpuls are fine. Gen5 OEM mag is still nicer as they got orange plastic in them, very well visible, so, it is an only benefit, really.

If you buy the G19, you're going to get 2 or 3 factory mags with it anyway, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I like to have about 12 for any handgun that I really like or that takes the > 10 round super killy ones - I dont know how many it takes but I want enough standard capacity magazines to wear out the handgun. Then if some legislation limits us in the future I'm not scrambling around in a panic buy, not going to end up with a full size pistol and reduced capacity mags.

May be awhile before I actually buy a Glock 19, honestly I think I am going to buy a 2nd 20 first (I just freakin love that one), maybe a 2nd Sig 229 as well, and none of this stuff is really available at the moment. But if I buy mags that's the only part that has any chance of becoming unobtainable, or at least not obtainable cheap online. My guess is nothing happens federally that stands a chance of limiting our magazines for > 2 years anyway, but you can bet by February the next proposed gun ban will put everyone in a frenzy again.

May be awhile before I actually buy a Glock 19, honestly I think I am going to buy a 2nd 20 first (I just freakin love that one), maybe a 2nd Sig 229 as well, and none of this stuff is really available at the moment. But if I buy mags that's the only part that has any chance of becoming unobtainable, or at least not obtainable cheap online. My guess is nothing happens federally that stands a chance of limiting our magazines for > 2 years anyway, but you can bet by February the next proposed gun ban will put everyone in a frenzy again.
if you really got used to G20 - G17 is same exact grip, G19 is a bit smaller and shooting it feels a little bit different too. i can live with G19 fine but absolutely prefer G17 handling, but, it is just me.

all i am saying - make sure to actually shoot one before getting it if you are already 'imprinted' on a G20. and try 19 slide on a 17 body too, what is that, a G19X i think.
from carrying perspective i cannot tell if i feel G17 to be significantly more uncomfortable compared to a G19 in an IWB holster.
in the MA restrictions universe the glock ownership drills down to how many proper pre-ban mags you can afford and it kinda locks you into a one preferred model combo, for me it is now G17/G34.

if you really got used to G20 - G17 is same exact grip, G19 is a bit smaller and shooting it feels a little bit different too. i can live with G19 fine but absolutely prefer G17 handling, but, it is just me.

all i am saying - make sure to actually shoot one before getting it if you are already 'imprinted' on a G20. and try 19 slide on a 17 body too, what is that, a G19X i think.
from carrying perspective i cannot tell if i feel G17 to be significantly more uncomfortable compared to a G19 in an IWB holster.
in the MA restrictions universe the glock ownership drills down to how many proper pre-ban mags you can afford and it kinda locks you into a one preferred model combo, for me it is now G17/G34.

Ya to be honest don't think I have ever picked up a G17 with interest, certainly been offered just passed on shooting them by the cover of the book. I have shot a G19 and really liked it though.

Would be a lighter alternative to my 229, pictured in it's typical role - clipped onto my waistband or front pocket OC, taken off and set down in the holster nearby me most of the time. Currently it's sitting on the roof of my boat :) (on land).

I'm not very imprinted on anything, switch back and forth on the same outing. With my Sigs I find I like my 229 the best, is just a slightly compact 226, not particularly smaller or lighter, just handles a touch better and is a touch less in the way.

20201205_134329.jpg

i dunno, been using the magpuls recently and really like 'em. seriously, the only deciding factor is if you feel the need to have the round count indicator holes cause i think they run every bit as good as the oem.
I mean in mass I carry my pre bans but at the range having a few extra mags for the money isn’t bad

I'm not really a Glock person but have considered buying a 19 on a number of occasions, shot one, liked it etc etc

I think I'm going to pickup 6 mags or so, basically so down the road, no matter what happens, I can own one in standard 15 round capacity.

What should I buy? I noticed magpul offers them, those as good as factory Glock or should I accept nothing less than factory, or is there something else I should seek?

Thanks!
Buy them all.

OEM for carry. Magpul for comps and range. They are cheap. Put the wear and tear on the cheap, easily replaceable ones.

this is common strategy with some pitfalls

1) harder to troubleshoot a malfunction
2) will burn up more $$ troubleshooting that malfunction in which case the cost benefit of the aftermarket mag is gone
3) factory glock springs are readily available including wolff extra power springs, which will keep any glock mag lasting essentially forever whereas those aftermarket mags probably do not have replacement springs available

the lifespan on my few magpul glock 19 mags was straight terrible. they were reliable with FMJs only. after use one can feel the mag springs crapping out. and that's from magpul so one can imagine other manufacturers. i would take 1 glock OEM magazine over 5 aftermarkets. unfortunately with ammo prices now so high i doubt anyone buying these aftermarket mags will ever actually test them. too bad.

If you buy the G19, you're going to get 2 or 3 factory mags with it anyway, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

in my world 3 mags might as well be zero. once i can't count them then i know i'm doing OK.

Cool thanks for all the great feedback guys.

Seems like the consensus is Magpul is good to go but the factory mags are probably a little better.

Probably will go with the factory mags in this case, as stated they aren't really expensive.
You’re not a true NESer unless you buy both!!

2) will burn up more $$ troubleshooting that malfunction in which case the cost benefit of the aftermarket mag is gone
3) factory glock springs are readily available including wolff extra power springs, which will keep any glock mag lasting essentially forever whereas those aftermarket mags probably do not have replacement springs available

the lifespan on my few magpul glock 19 mags was straight terrible. they were reliable with FMJs only. after use one can feel the mag springs crapping out. and that's from magpul so one can imagine other manufacturers. i would take 1 glock OEM magazine over 5 aftermarkets. unfortunately with ammo prices now so high i doubt anyone buying these aftermarket mags will ever actually test them. too bad.

in my world 3 mags might as well be zero. once i can't count them then i know i'm doing OK.
Sorry to hear your experience with the Magpul Glock mags. It's definitely differnt than my own, and as I said above, I've put almost 700 rds through my Magpul mags without one hiccup ever. They've been dropped in the dirt for reloads, thrown in an ammo can for transport, and generally been treated like stepchildren. No complaints.

Did you actually have failures or you just speculating? I never had problems with mine but i don't have toddler/cripples, either.

I agree that 3 is basically none, lol.

I got some 10 round magpul mags for my G19. The mags seem tight and the springs seem very stiff. I've never had this problem with other mags before. Guessing they will loosen over time?

Did you actually have failures or you just speculating? I never had problems with mine but i don't have toddler/cripples, either.

I agree that 3 is basically none, lol.

i have 2 Magpul G19 mags. 1 has a lot more use than the other. Both springs feel weak. The one w more use will often Have the follower jam up during live fire but not cycling snap caps....so I cannot actually find anything to fix. Even before this problem, I had feed issues in a gen 3 G19. Approx 1 per 25 rounds. With HST I had 2-3 misfeeds on every magazine, so very common. The same pistol is 100% w OEM mags. the experiences on PF were also not great. my n = 2 and those of people I respect is enough to convince me out of aftermarket mags. Further if I’m carrying a Glock it’s either a G17 or a G31 so I have no need for G19 sized mags anyway.

As you know, the basis of a reliable auto loading pistol is the magazine. The barrel and magazine make up the soul of any gun. unfortunately many see the magazine as an accessory or something that can be replaced without consequences. If I offered the same people an aftermarket RSA, striker spring or barrel they would cite “Glock reliability“ or some other nonsense to support not changing the parts, but the same people will completely overlook in the importance of a mag spring or follower in the guns function.

Hmm, i literally have more than i can count of either, and no failures. I suspect maybe you got some duds or an ECO happened that they ain't telling people about.

The only issue I've ever had with any aftermarket Glock magazines has been with Winchester steel case ammo. IDK what it is, buy that ammo hangs up in aftermarket mags, but they don't in OEM mags. All other ammo, Russian steel or brass, in aftermarket Glock mags and I have no issues.

That's for standard length mags, for the extended length mags, I've had a few issues with ETS mags in Glock pistols, but zero issues with them in blowback PCC's and I'm gonna go on a limb and say the fixed barrel in those PCC's is the reason I don't have issues. So, for those who say they've had nothing but issues with Magpul or ETS mags in their Glocks and go on to say they're crap... yeah, in your guns they may be, but that doesn't hold true for other guns that may use Glock mags.

As to people who are shooting their mouth off downplaying the quality of the Magpul mags, I would ask them what their personal experiences have been that led them to say that. I don't think the lack of holes in the mags to count rds is a big deal, not unless that feature is the sole reason you chose to own a Glock vs a different brand. I'm certainly not one to be stopping in the middle of an attack after a number of shots to drop the mag to check it to see how many more rds I have left, I'm more likely going to put the spare mag in or do something not related to counting my rds, besides, in the heat of the moment, I'll probably forget seconds later how many rds are in the mag anyway.

I wonder if you have some of the earlier version mags. They had some issues, and Magpul will even trade them out for new ones. Also, they don’t play well with steel cased ammo. Magpul even states that.

My bet is you have either the early version or you were using steel cased ammo.

Ive got around 10-12 of them and no serious issues.

I wonder if you have some of the earlier version mags. They had some issues, and Magpul will even trade them out for new ones. Also, they don’t play well with steel cased ammo. Magpul even states that.

My bet is you have either the early version or you were using steel cased ammo.

Ive got around 10-12 of them and no serious issues.
I was not aware of this and I'm gonna have to go and check to see what ETS says about steel case ammo now. I do know that with Russian steel case 9mm in an AR using a Stern Defense mag adapter I had no issues with the Magpul mags or the ammo. Ran 100%.

I would agree with those that say buy factory mags. Why? Because after you purchase the G19 and 6 mags, the cost of the ammo is going to be hundreds more than the cost of the gun and mags over the next 10 yrs. So, are you going to worry about another $60 or so? $10 for Magpul versus $20 for Glock.

BTW, if you have a large hand like I do, buy the G45. G17 grip with the G19 slide gives you more hand grip and comfort. Oh, if it's not to be a CCW.

I have about 30-35 g17 mags mix between factory and magpul. No issues with either magpul is lighter and I assume not steel lined. But no feeding issues.

I've run them pretty good when 9mm was cheap.

Magpul makes good mags and parts i see no reason they'd damage the brand by putting out shitty glock mags

I would agree with those that say buy factory mags. Why? Because after you purchase the G19 and 6 mags, the cost of the ammo is going to be hundreds more than the cost of the gun and mags over the next 10 yrs. So, are you going to worry about another $60 or so? $10 for Magpul versus $20 for Glock.

BTW, if you have a large hand like I do, buy the G45. G17 grip with the G19 slide gives you more hand grip and comfort. Oh, if it's not to be a CCW.

Thanks, I have a relatively short grip, doesn't stop me from being perfectly comfortable with pistols people complain about but no need to add to a grip. It's not a CCW, will get a holster for it like the pictured 229, but will likely carry it around a lot.

For mags it just comes down to quality, for me anyway. Are they the same quality, better quality, lower quality etc etc ?

Magpul basically made themselves into the industry standard in AR mags, so for AR fan boys Magpul generates that angelic background noise (myself included). If you offer me say a ($30?) Colt or $10 Magpul, I will take the Magpul as I have shitloads and never have experienced a failure due to one.

Not that such means a Magpul Glock mag is any good, why I started the thread in the first place.

Thanks, I have a relatively short grip, doesn't stop me from being perfectly comfortable with pistols people complain about but no need to add to a grip. It's not a CCW, will get a holster for it like the pictured 229, but will likely carry it around a lot.

you should find and try gen5 models, 19 and 17 both, or whichever other ones you like.
the frame base in gen5 series is a bit reduced, so it feels like an SF model with no backstraps installed, and it comes with medium (2mm) and large (4mm) backstraps you can optionally install - total 4 backstraps - 2 usual short ones and 2 beavertails. i personally find medium size beavertail combination to be a best handling frame out there right now, ergonomically. it is kinda pointless to write about, it`s a kind of a thing you need to try and see for yourself if it works for you or not.
i think glock really did hit a jackpot with this gen5 design.

you should find and try gen5 models, 19 and 17 both, or whichever other ones you like.
the frame base in gen5 series is a bit reduced, so it feels like an SF model with no backstraps installed, and it comes with medium (2mm) and large (4mm) backstraps you can optionally install - total 4 backstraps - 2 usual short ones and 2 beavertails. i personally find medium size beavertail combination to be a best handling frame out there right now, ergonomically. it is kinda pointless to write about, it`s a kind of a thing you need to try and see for yourself if it works for you or not.
i think glock really did hit a jackpot with this gen5 design.

Thanks, based on this being a future purchase my list of to-do's included figuring out the difference in a gen 5, but really unless there was a reason not to, was thinking hold out for one specifically.

Update.

Got 6 of the 15 round Glock brand mags in hand and a Gen 5 G19 on layaway (which I believe comes with a few more).

I did look into the G19x and G45 - those are definitely really good additions, which may end up in my possession some day (for anyone not aware basically a 19 slide on a 17 frame, 19 round mags, a super handy short full size with great capacity). For this purpose though I really wanted something that fits between a bunch of full size pistols and a bunch of pocket pistols, easier to carry than the 229, so the G19 is more of dead ringer.

The benefit of the magpulls is that if you have a limited budget, you can buy more.

Magpuls are popular among IDPA shooters. They wouldn't use them if they weren't reliable.

If it were me, I'd buy 2 glock mags for carry and then as many magpuls as I could afford up to a minimum of 10 total mags.

Update.

Got 6 of the 15 round Glock brand mags in hand and a Gen 5 G19 on layaway (which I believe comes with a few more).

I did look into the G19x and G45 - those are definitely really good additions, which may end up in my possession some day (for anyone not aware basically a 19 slide on a 17 frame, 19 round mags, a super handy short full size with great capacity). For this purpose though I really wanted something that fits between a bunch of full size pistols and a bunch of pocket pistols, easier to carry than the 229, so the G19 is more of dead ringer.
i recommend that - very handy.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQXSEBG

cant go wrong with OEM - i think magpuls market share, however small it is, is only because they provide a cheaper magazine, not necessarily better
I said this in another thread but magpul basically remade the standard ar mag... they wouldn't slap their name on a crappy glock mag and risk brand damage. Magpuls are solid I have a bunch they run good

Back
Top Bottom