• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 19 Mag question...

Just picked up my G19 Gen 3 NIB on monday... haven't been out to fire it yet but just dry firing and checking it out I feel the mag release is really tight and hard to depress... is this normal or perhaps get easier over time? ordered both the extended mag/slide release already just waiting for them to arrive.

The factory mag release can be a little hard to depress due to it's short length. Not having long fingers or thumb to reach the release adds to the difficulty. I don't care for the factory one because it almost forces you to change your grip to depress it. I have extended controlls on all my Glocks. Once you get the new one your issue will be lessened.
I prefer the mag release that comes with the little backwards facing tab that screws on with two small allen screws.

The best after market mag release for a carry Glock is Vickers/Tango Down magazine release . There are other options available. You can get Glock OEM extended release as used on Glock 34. However, I had an IWB holster activate it due to its size.
I would recommend against the screw in mag releases as they add more complexity and more things to go wrong.

FWIW the mag release is a little tight with a fully loaded 15 round mag in the gun. If you want to make it easier take a round out. Eventually the springs in the mags will take a "set" of sorts as they break in and it will be a little easier. It shouldn't take much effort to depress the release most of the time.

-Mike

Any problem with stiffness in a new pistol should be ignored until the gun has been broken in. I have Glocks with the standard and extended mag releases. The extended release doesn't offer much of an advantage but does increase the possibilty of an inadvertant release of the mag. I would avoid an extended slide stop/release. The extra mass could cause a malfunction. Check out the top shooters at an IPSC match; you won't find any extended slide stops.

In other words leave the gun alone, put a couple of thousand rounds through it, and then reconsider any modifications.

Back
Top Bottom